S6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi S6 produced from 2012 - 2017

Features; a Question & some comments...

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2016, 04:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Features; a Question & some comments...

Hi Guys,
I'm new to the S6, and I absolutely love it so far (had it for a month). I of course like most ****-car-enthusiasts, have been learning more and more about the car through ownership. I have to admit there's a lot of stuff imo that has been left out in print, not correct at all, or assumed as standard; that I would have otherwise felt it was important to mention or advertise.

One thing in my previous vehicle that was always an issue was lighting during a turn, my car had fixed HID's. It was tough seeing around a corner when turning into that corner. However the Audi S6 comes with the static cornering lights which are amazing! This feature was not listed anywhere when I was considering the car for purchase, not in the brochure, not on the sticker, and I could not find any "official" Audi print highlighting this as an integrated feature, even in the slightest.

Also for example I always thought all Audi's had headlight washers on them. I just assumed mine would come with them. Thinking objectively I'm not sure how much they'd be useful and I keep my car super clean all the time, and don't take it off roaring in mud, etc. But recently I have found that with the LED headlights, they generate a lot of heat, and snow/ice/moisture have been icing over the light covers while driving in those conditions (The heat melts it, but then is refrozen over the covers due to the temperature & wind chill at speed.) And the Audi washer fluid is a nice de-icer. So it seems it would be helpful for de-icing in this case. To those that have had both LED's and HID's I do find that the disperse rate is much higher in LED's and an iced over cover only makes that worse. (I'm discovering; LED's make you more visible to others, but don't seem to outperform HID's for the drivers visibility)

To that point I was wondering if anyone had any in-depth knowledge as to "Soft close" doors in the S6. The 2016 drivers manual says that I should have "Door close aids" aka="Soft close doors" but the car clearly does not have them. I admittedly would love that feature. Is this something that they deleted mid-cycle?, or do some of you have them in your cars? And they just forgot to put mine in? Or connect them? Or a misprint in the A6 manual?
Old 02-14-2016, 07:48 AM
gk1
AudiWorld Super User

Received 517 Likes on 452 Posts

Sorry for you troubles, but some of the literature is available when the C7 model first appears in Europe...circa 2011. Then, I know this sound amazing, but the info does seem to disappear over time.
If you can get a hold of the C7 self study guide #486 on page 61 they have an explanation of each element of the LEDs including th cornering lights. I know a bit obscure and you are right, very little is mentioned of them elsewhere.
Old 02-14-2016, 09:14 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 491 Likes on 335 Posts

To the OP, I assume you are in NA and so have a vehicle with "packaged" options as determined by Audi's NA operation.

Power assisted door closing is option code GZ2, and AFAIK, not an available option in NA. A door closing aid could also, in German, be considered a door handle

Headlight washers are standard equipment, and an automated system. They are activated only when the headlights are on, and only on every fifth application of the headlight washer stalk.

All the Audi information I have seen on LED headlights (which I also have on my car) mentions the turning lights. On-line, brochure, and user manual.

I did just have a look at the Audi USA site because I was a bit surprised by your comments, but now understand. They seem to have left out most of the information about standard and optional equipment. Bit lazy, if you ask me. No interpreters over there?

Have a look at the German site, which will tell you what everything does - just use a translation tool.
Old 02-14-2016, 09:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

@ Glisse
In regards to the Closing door aids:
I'll check my manufacturing code sheet in the trunk, and see if that "GZ2" is on it. I've been meaning to do that. Not sure what "AFAIK" is? (Can you explain please.)
The manual clearly explains what the "Closing aid on the doors" is, it can't be misconstrued or mis translated as a "door handle" as you suggest. I can post a pic of the exact wording in the NA Manual.

This manual was clearly printed for the North American Market, as it has US DOT printed info in it, lots of other US standards printed throughout it. Theres different headlight standards in the USA as you might know, that's why we don't get the Matrix option here in the states, until the law can catch up with breaking technology, Hence the manual does not have any printed info on the "Matrix" Headlights. (because it can not exist in the US Market, it's against the law ATM)

The manual clearly says that there are headlight washers, and door close aids. I have read somewhere that Audi deleted the headlight washers in like MY 13 or MY 14 A6/S6 (or some MY) But yet I'm reading a MY 16 A6/S6 Manual. But I have not read or I have not seen anything on the door close aids.
I've test the car wiper stalk extensively, no Washer fluid ever sprays on the head light covers. I have yet to physically look behind the front facia to see if the pumps/moters are there.

Lastly in regards to the static cornering Lights, I was only able to confirm that the car came with them when I bought the car, tested it, also noticing them while driving, and it is printed in the owners manual (which of course the owners manual comes with the car when you buy it).
Old 02-14-2016, 01:22 PM
gk1
AudiWorld Super User

Regarding headlight washers. You are right US C7 A6/S6 LED definitely does not have headlight washers but I believe they might be required in Canada. One might question why one country would have them and the other wouldn't since they are both North American models. I'm sure this has been discussed in other forum threads but I don't know that there was ever a consensus why they are removed on US models. Maybe as simple as saving some $$$ for a non-required US item.
Old 02-14-2016, 04:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by gk1
Regarding headlight washers. You are right US C7 A6/S6 LED definitely does not have headlight washers but I believe they might be required in Canada. One might question why one country would have them and the other wouldn't since they are both North American models. I'm sure this has been discussed in other forum threads but I don't know that there was ever a consensus why they are removed on US models. Maybe as simple as saving some $$$ for a non-required US item.

I'm not sure if you got me there. It definitely seems like the Manual is filled with and without information, and equipment that is not present or not filtered, or corrected properly. In fact its seems so far off I really can't consider it a reliable source of ownership information.
Theres a guy who runs a Audi S8 enthusiast site that talks about stuff that we don't get in our vehicles here in the North American continent. This A6/S6 Manual(my MY16 Manual) also talks about the emergency triangle which according to Canadians is not present in their vehicles (North America) but guess what's in this manual on page 242; The Emergency Triangle! So I don't know if that's even a US/CAN thing or difference. At this point I was wondering mostly if there is something that should be in my vehicle that was missed. (Not installed by mistake) And there is no official written Audi source that is trustworthy for reliability in correct information.
Old 02-14-2016, 04:56 PM
gk1
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by MikeS6
I'm not sure if you got me there. It definitely seems like the Manual is filled with and without information, and equipment that is not present or not filtered, or corrected properly. In fact its seems so far off I really can't consider it a reliable source of ownership information.
Theres a guy who runs a Audi S8 enthusiast site that talks about stuff that we don't get in our vehicles here in the North American continent. This A6/S6 Manual(my MY16 Manual) also talks about the emergency triangle which according to Canadians is not present in their vehicles (North America) but guess what's in this manual on page 242; The Emergency Triangle! So I don't know if that's even a US/CAN thing or difference. At this point I was wondering mostly if there is something that should be in my vehicle that was missed. (Not installed by mistake) And there is no official written Audi source that is trustworthy for reliability in correct information.
Understood. Unfortunately it has been this way with US Audi's since the dawn of time. Thank the heavens for the forum communities to shed some light on these and many other questions.
Sadly I do not think you will find absolute definite information you are looking for even if you call Audi dealerships and AoA.
FWIW you have received information best as can be expected regarding the questions asked.
There are no headlight washers despite the obvious covers in the bumper for them.
There are no soft close doors as standard.
There is no emergency triangle.
And God forbid if you had an S4 there are no folding mirrors. Lol
This is just the way it is with Audi in the US and may likely be the same with other foreign makes.
I will give Audi one thing...I have been on these forums a long time...and I have never once seen where someone was missing something (exception being incorrectly ordered option.) They are all delivered as designed for the country specified and the print materials have always had some discrepancies...call them mistakes or leftovers from the foreign translation...lol...or even there is sometimes a disclaimer like "if fitted with headlight washers...here is how they work" So basically it is highly unlikely you are missing anything but keep checking and asking...it's why the community is here to help.
Old 02-14-2016, 05:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by gk1
There are no headlight washers despite the obvious covers in the bumper for them.
There are no soft close doors as standard.
There is no emergency triangle.
And God forbid if you had an S4 there are no folding mirrors. Lol

Thanks so much for the reply... But I do have power folding mirrors, and that is right on the sticker. So yea Like I said even pretty experienced people like yourself can't get this mis-mosh of info, lack there-of, mis-printed, incorrectly stated, etc. straight.
Old 02-14-2016, 07:49 PM
gk1
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by MikeS6
Thanks so much for the reply... But I do have power folding mirrors, and that is right on the sticker. So yea Like I said even pretty experienced people like yourself can't get this mis-mosh of info, lack there-of, mis-printed, incorrectly stated, etc. straight.
Sorry, the folding mirrors was an inside joke...forum comment. (I've been on here too long.) Many people were angry that the S4 did not have folding mirrors they were expecting.

The upside of some of the Audi print misinformation is they state the pre-facelift C7 S6 has 420HP but dyno tests and real world track stats show it it be significantly higher (480 range) and the facelift stated 450HP is simply a more realistic reporting of this...still underrated but closer to reality.
Old 02-15-2016, 04:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

Ahh gotcha! That obvi went over my head. It's funny most of the things not in the Car like the Emergency Triangle, Soft close motors, are fairly easy to install after the fact. The Triangle is nothing really, and the soft close feature is just a bit expensive in the since that I have to buy 4 motors, looks to be about $1000. The light washers are not going to be worth it. Someone on another forum said that one of the issues with headlight washers is that they leak as they get used/older etc.