S6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi S6 produced from 2012 - 2017

Getting my car has turned into a four ring circus!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2015, 10:10 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrats Nish!! I ordered a week and a half before you and still no word. I understand allocation based on dealer's past sales for stock cars. But if someone walks into a dealership, orders a car, and puts a deposit down they should be in line first come, first serve. Regardless of dealers past sales. -Still Frustrated
Old 07-10-2015, 12:49 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Sorry to hear about your order. If I were you, I would call AoA at 800 822 2834 and have them open a case, talk to your dealership and have them contact the rep.

What I find strange is that we have all ordered cars and are waiting for our allocations but dealers in the NE have a lot of cars coming in. Two dealers in the tr-state area contacted me offering me cars, but non of them were spec'd to my liking.
Old 07-11-2015, 07:34 AM
Club AutoUnion

Received 82 Likes on 56 Posts

So, I'm not an A/S6 owner but I do have a little bit of insight on the build process. My spouse and I toured the factory in Germany and got to see just how the production line works. First, there isn't one dedicated line to S6's. It's one production line for the 6 line in general. This means that they will be producing the A6, S6 and RS6 in the same production line. The car in front could be receiving the standard 3.0T engine and the one behind it is getting the TDI. Wether a car is going to be dealer stock or customer order, they all come out of the dealers allocation bank. This also means that the cars on the dealers lot as stock were built to order by the dealer. Each car as it moves down the production line has a little 4" square box attached to the chassis of the vehicle that is scanned every time it moves from one production station to the next. This little box has all of the customers information in it as well as all of the cars build info. The dealers will eventually get locked out of changes but if something where to change on the order of the car mid-production, it would be caught before it goes to the next station. This also means that when cars come to the dealership missing features that customers ordered, it was the dealers fault. It was the dealer that screwed up the order. Lastly, when it comes to production numbers, they are supposed to have X amount of cars going through the line per hour/day. Each section has a big black electronics board with green numbers on it changing constantly showing their production numbers. If one particular area starts to fall behind it turns red. From what I saw, it didn't take model line into consideration. Only total number of cars.

Last edited by Mrclopec; 07-11-2015 at 07:40 AM.
Old 07-11-2015, 09:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Originally Posted by Mrclopec
So, I'm not an A/S6 owner but I do have a little bit of insight on the build process. My spouse and I toured the factory in Germany and got to see just how the production line works. First, there isn't one dedicated line to S6's. It's one production line for the 6 line in general. This means that they will be producing the A6, S6 and RS6 in the same production line. The car in front could be receiving the standard 3.0T engine and the one behind it is getting the TDI. Wether a car is going to be dealer stock or customer order, they all come out of the dealers allocation bank. This also means that the cars on the dealers lot as stock were built to order by the dealer. Each car as it moves down the production line has a little 4" square box attached to the chassis of the vehicle that is scanned every time it moves from one production station to the next. This little box has all of the customers information in it as well as all of the cars build info. The dealers will eventually get locked out of changes but if something where to change on the order of the car mid-production, it would be caught before it goes to the next station. This also means that when cars come to the dealership missing features that customers ordered, it was the dealers fault. It was the dealer that screwed up the order. Lastly, when it comes to production numbers, they are supposed to have X amount of cars going through the line per hour/day. Each section has a big black electronics board with green numbers on it changing constantly showing their production numbers. If one particular area starts to fall behind it turns red. From what I saw, it didn't take model line into consideration. Only total number of cars.
That is largely how it works, but dealers are locked out of making changes once the car is picked for production. Because before the car's production can actually start, they need to gather all the parts that go into it, so that during the assembly stages the correct raw material and parts are ready at the line. If changes were allowed while the car is already in production that would send ripples through the production line and would make things rather complicated.
Old 07-12-2015, 02:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine was frozen to changes about 2 weeks before it went into production.
Old 07-12-2015, 03:26 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I'm reading many of your posts on ordering an S6. I have ordered 4 A7's and am very fortunate to have waited no more than 3 months. The RS5 I ordered was 4 1/2 months to delivery and drove me nuts waiting for it. So when I decided to sell it a few weeks ago, I asked the dealer I use, Suncoast Audi to find me an S6 that they could get their hands and he did. I preferred Mythos Black and got Glacier White. Even though it's not my first choice, I'm happy to have my Glacier White S6 as it's an amazing car to drive. I'll order another one next year when I have the patience to wait.
Old 07-14-2015, 02:42 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Got my allocation yesterday!!!!! One step closer. Let the waiting continue.
Old 07-16-2015, 11:54 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Build Week 37. Estimated deliver 11/15. Some progress. Only 7 months.
Old 07-31-2015, 04:10 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Pleasant surprise yesterday...I think. My car was scheduled to go into production week 3615, four weeks from now, but I got the following message yesterday...

Today much more than anticipation is being built. Your Audi S6 has gone into production. You’ve reached an important milestone, and delivery of your S6 is getting closer. I’ll contact you again when your vehicle is in transit to the European port of Emden. From there, your S6 will start its journey to the United States.

Production started 4 weeks ahead of planned. Has that happened to anyone?
Old 07-31-2015, 04:32 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Awesome Nish!

Maybe mine will be built next week, unless they shut down the factory, like I heard.

Can anyone confirm they shut down the factory for the month of August?

Quick Reply: Getting my car has turned into a four ring circus!!