S6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi S6 produced from 2012 - 2017

Looks Like Start Stop made it to USA

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2015, 01:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default stop

I had it on a BMW rental in Ireland. Absolutely hated it.
Old 09-28-2015, 06:58 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Yeah, I'm not sorry that the 14 doesn't have it. Still though, for those who do, it would be interesting to find out if the button could become available. I'm curious whether if you got the button and had the right VAGCOM coding for it if it would work just fine or whether there were physical modifications to the engine or other components that prevent the US cars from having it.
Old 09-30-2015, 03:40 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by schalliol
I'm curious whether if you got the button and had the right VAGCOM coding for it if it would work just fine or whether there were physical modifications to the engine or other components that prevent the US cars from having it.
I read that the battery and starter motor were heavier duty in the Stop and Go cars. I believe it was in the ACNA magazine "Quattro Quarterly".
Old 10-06-2015, 03:16 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 2016 A7 has it, it defaults on and you can turn it off with the dash button if you want,
Old 10-07-2015, 05:09 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Re: Tenspeed, I doubt they put weaker parts on a S6 than A6, though I can certainly imagine them beefing up these items on new redesigns that has the function. Does anyone see different part numbers for 16+ on these items than before?
Old 10-11-2015, 03:06 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 493 Likes on 336 Posts

The function has always been present on C7 models from the original launch. It was disabled on North American vehicles until recently, likely due to litigation concerns. There are no part changes in terms of batteries and starter motors. It has now become a common "feature" on many new models from most manufacturers.

It is not entirely consistent in operation, and therefore the car becomes unpredictable. Unpredictable is not what you need from your own car, plenty of other cars/drivers around to provide that particular thrill.
Old 10-11-2015, 05:11 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Glisse, the C7 A6 in the USA has always had Start Stop, while OUS C7 S6 has had Start Stop. I'm just wondering if it could be enabled for pre-16 USA S6 by adding a button and VAGCOM. I thought in Switzerland you had to turn off your cars at stop lights by default even pre start stop functionality. It gains 1 MPG in the USA. I don't think I'll do it if I can, but I still wondered.
Old 10-24-2015, 06:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by jasonlitka
You guys are so down on Start/Stop... My wife's BMW X3 has it and I really like it. Maybe Audi's implementation stinks and that's why you're disabling it, but if it works like the X3, I'm leaving it on.
That's interesting, my wife also has an X3 and that is the sole reason why we despise the start/stop so much. My wife could careless about those types of things but even she hates it. I think the problem with BMW's rendition is how poorly the vehicle transitions from actual stop back to start, as if the entire engine is about to die. I recently had a new A7 for a week and the start/stop while I still hate it, is much much smoother in its stop to start transition. Maybe the BMWs are better now, ours was a 2013. We just replaced it with a 2016 Q5.
Old 11-08-2015, 06:38 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Start/Stop + Sport Package exhaust = a really nice sound at every stop light :-)
Old 11-09-2015, 12:47 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

No matter how little it is, I always want to save gas. I driven numerous cars with start/stop and got used to it pretty quickly. There's something about sitting at a long light with the engine idling and waisting fuel that rubs me the wrong way. If I know it'll be a long light, I sometimes turn off the engine in my Tacoma.

Chris B

On order:

2016 C7 S6 Prestige in Tornado Gray Metallic, Black Optic Package, S6 Sports Package, Cold Weather Package, Rear Side Airbags, Layered Aluminum/Black Wood inlay

Quick Reply: Looks Like Start Stop made it to USA