S6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi S6 produced from 2012 - 2017

Microphone sensitivity adjustment in MMI

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2015, 08:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Microphone sensitivity adjustment in MMI

Hi - on my 2016 S6 I am noticing some microphone drop out issues when using the cell phone. Incoming audio is fine, however, the folks on the other end of the line are telling me that I`m cutting in and out. Do you think this problem might be solved by adjusting telephone microphone sensitivity (Telephone - settings - volume)?

Unfortunately, when I go to the telephone volume settings in the MMI, the Microphone Sensitivity option appears in red and cannot be adjusted.

I've also seen reference to hidden menus enabled by a Vagcom update (see below), but I haven't been able to implement this.
----------------------------------------------------
Adjust bluetooth microphone sensitivity

Hidden menu
Diagnose
Settings
Mic sensiblity - choose -6db/0db/+6db
----------------------------------------------------

Any ideas on how to improve the microphone response or should I be taking this into the dealer (maybe one of the mic's is faulty).

Thanks.
Old 08-31-2015, 04:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 139 Likes on 102 Posts

First thing to check is your air vents. Make sure they arent pointed up towards the roof. That can affect microphone sensitivity.
Old 08-31-2015, 04:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks HyperS4 - will check the air vent direction out.

Regarding the Microphone sensitivity adjustment in the Telephone - Settings - Volume section of the MMI............do you know if it's normal that this setting is displayed in MMI but not adjustable? Microphone sensitivity shows as positioned at the mid-way point, but unlike most settings in MMI, there seems to be no way to change it.
Old 08-31-2015, 04:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by bradaudi
Thanks HyperS4 - will check the air vent direction out.

Regarding the Microphone sensitivity adjustment in the Telephone - Settings - Volume section of the MMI............do you know if it's normal that this setting is displayed in MMI but not adjustable? Microphone sensitivity shows as positioned at the mid-way point, but unlike most settings in MMI, there seems to be no way to change it.
I havent really gone into the setting before but I know with the VAG you can go in and turn it up.

EDIT: Actually, now that I think of it, one time a customer of mine came in and in the service department they DID go into that setting and turned it up right from the MMI. I think he was in the middle of a phone call when they did it though in order to change it.
Old 09-01-2015, 04:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by HyperS4
I havent really gone into the setting before but I know with the VAG you can go in and turn it up.

EDIT: Actually, now that I think of it, one time a customer of mine came in and in the service department they DID go into that setting and turned it up right from the MMI. I think he was in the middle of a phone call when they did it though in order to change it.
It looks like there should be a method of adjusting microphone sensitivity from the MMI, but for some reason this telephone setting displays but isn't allowing adjustment on my S6. Oh well, I'll contact the service department and see if they have any ideas.
Old 09-01-2015, 04:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

It looks like there should be a method of adjusting microphone sensitivity from the MMI, but for some reason this telephone setting displays but isn't allowing adjustment on my S6. Oh well, I'll contact the service department and see if they have any ideas.
Like I mentioned, try making a call(even if to your voicemail) and see if the setting opens up to adjustment.
Old 09-01-2015, 05:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Hi HyperS4 - thanks for the clarification, making the microphone adjustment while the call is in progress works fine.

Unfortunately, I've tried the full range of microphone sensitivity adjustments and the mic is still cutting in and out during a call. It appears I have a faulty microphone. The fact that it works about 50% of the time makes it look like a short or possibly one of the two microphones is faulty. I've tried shutting off radio, fans, and all other ambient noise, but no luck.

Looks like I'll be taking it in. Sad.

Last edited by bradaudi; 09-01-2015 at 06:46 PM.
Old 09-03-2015, 07:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Hi HyperS4 - thanks for the clarification, making the microphone adjustment while the call is in progress works fine.

Unfortunately, I've tried the full range of microphone sensitivity adjustments and the mic is still cutting in and out during a call. It appears I have a faulty microphone. The fact that it works about 50% of the time makes it look like a short or possibly one of the two microphones is faulty. I've tried shutting off radio, fans, and all other ambient noise, but no luck.

Looks like I'll be taking it in. Sad.
Well, at least you tried everything. Sorry its not working for you. Come back and let us know how it gets fixed.
Old 09-30-2015, 05:11 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I too have experienced call quality issues since I took delivery of my S6 in May. I have tried many phones to include iPhone, Android, Windows, and BlackBerry OS; without success. As you stated the incoming voice is fine, but the outgoing voice is poor at best with static and voice cutting in and out. I have been in contact with the dealer and personally researching this for months to no avail. No TSB and not much discussion on the forums.

I finally made it into the dealer this evening and coincidentally there is now a TSB that covers a Phone update for Windows and Android devices (not affecting iPhones). I did not note the TSB number. Apologies. My previous Phone driver was version 14.41.1. The new version is 15.26.2. The update had to take place using an SD card. Entire process took about 15 minutes.

Placed a few test calls and it now works as intended with no call quality issues whatsoever. Glad to be able to put his behind me. Hope this helps.
Hi - on my 2016 S6 I am noticing some microphone drop out issues when using the cell phone. Incoming audio is fine, however, the folks on the other end of the line are telling me that I`m cutting in and out. Do you think this problem might be solved by adjusting telephone microphone sensitivity (Telephone - settings - volume)?

Any ideas on how to improve the microphone response or should I be taking this into the dealer (maybe one of the mic's is faulty).

Thanks.
Old 10-01-2015, 06:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by sfcaiello
I too have experienced call quality issues since I took delivery of my S6 in May. I have tried many phones to include iPhone, Android, Windows, and BlackBerry OS; without success. As you stated the incoming voice is fine, but the outgoing voice is poor at best with static and voice cutting in and out. I have been in contact with the dealer and personally researching this for months to no avail. No TSB and not much discussion on the forums.

I finally made it into the dealer this evening and coincidentally there is now a TSB that covers a Phone update for Windows and Android devices (not affecting iPhones). I did not note the TSB number. Apologies. My previous Phone driver was version 14.41.1. The new version is 15.26.2. The update had to take place using an SD card. Entire process took about 15 minutes.

Placed a few test calls and it now works as intended with no call quality issues whatsoever. Glad to be able to put his behind me. Hope this helps.
Thanks for the response. Great timing as I'm taking my S6 in on Monday to have the microphone looked at.

Just to confirm, the phone update you're referring to is for the S6 (MMI) and not the phone itself.

Thanks.

Quick Reply: Microphone sensitivity adjustment in MMI