S6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi S6 produced from 2012 - 2017

New car break in method

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2016, 09:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Default New car break in method

Hi All,

I'm pleased to say I will be taking delivery Friday on my '16 S6. I'm picking it up in Livermore CA and driving back to Orange County (circa 400 miles). I've read the threads on break in theories on AZ and here. Seems to be 50-50; drive easy the first 1000 mi vs. drive the heck out of it off the bat to seal all the o-rings etc.. Any further input ?

Will post pics after I clean it up after the road trip. Prem. Plus, sport pkg, drivers assist, 20" wheels, carbon atlas, black headliner, LED's, too many "Audi Guard" accessories but the mats are great to have.

Lastly, it has the "Quattro" decals on both rear doors. I'm 50-50 on them and can have dealer remove prior to delivery. Opinions on this are welcome and appreciated.

Thanks all! I've thoroughly enjoyed reading all of your posts, excited to be a part of this community!
Old 05-03-2016, 02:13 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 102 Likes on 81 Posts

While the various methods of break in have been debated for years, I would go with following exactly what is written in the manual for your car. I have done this for the last 20 cars I have purchased and none of them developed any engine problems.

I tend to trust the guys that designed the engine to understand the best way to break it in.

There is also the question of warranty. If you follow the factory recommendation there will never be any issues with warranty claims. If you drive it like you stole it and something goes wrong, you may get some resistance to having Audi pay for it.

Best of luck with the new ride!
Old 05-03-2016, 02:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by A6er
Hi All,

I'm pleased to say I will be taking delivery Friday on my '16 S6. I'm picking it up in Livermore CA and driving back to Orange County (circa 400 miles). I've read the threads on break in theories on AZ and here. Seems to be 50-50; drive easy the first 1000 mi vs. drive the heck out of it off the bat to seal all the o-rings etc.. Any further input ?

Will post pics after I clean it up after the road trip. Prem. Plus, sport pkg, drivers assist, 20" wheels, carbon atlas, black headliner, LED's, too many "Audi Guard" accessories but the mats are great to have.

Lastly, it has the "Quattro" decals on both rear doors. I'm 50-50 on them and can have dealer remove prior to delivery. Opinions on this are welcome and appreciated.

Thanks all! I've thoroughly enjoyed reading all of your posts, excited to be a part of this community!
"Quattro" decals on both the rear doors? I've never seen that yet. I've seen and heard about the grille decal.
Old 05-03-2016, 03:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 234 Likes on 171 Posts

Congrats. I personally like the quattro stickers. I say to drive it moderately hard. Explore the RPM range but don't drive like you're on a track.

Old 05-03-2016, 05:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by 19hole
While the various methods of break in have been debated for years, I would go with following exactly what is written in the manual for your car. I have done this for the last 20 cars I have purchased and none of them developed any engine problems.

I tend to trust the guys that designed the engine to understand the best way to break it in.
100% agree. Audi has spent tens of millions of Euros and many years designing and testing their engines. To believe one is smarter than all the engineers involved in the process is folly. Just follow the manual's break-in recommendations and you will be fine.
Old 05-03-2016, 06:05 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

The 'Moto-man Method' has a cult following. It's how I have broken in my last several engines....except for my wifes MB Diesel. My 2010 S4 was broken in using this method and I sold it at 150,000 miles and it was not burning any oil. I never had to add a drop over the time I had that car. Now it's owned my another member on the Audi forums and it has over 180,000 miles. That car has had the APR tune once it hit 25,000 miles. I have also followed a modified oil change interval on my Audi which I use on cars I will own long term.

I know this is not comparing the same engines or makes and believe me...my car is driven harder than the GL350. IMO, comparing results to the universal averages there is a clear winner here and a clear choice on how to treat an engine.

Break In Secrets--How To Break In New Motorcycle and Car Engines For More Power

Check out the attached oil analysis and tell me which engine would you rather own? The one that was broken in following moto-man (i.e....hard, but smart break-in) which is my Audi S6 or following the manufacturers guidelines, my wifes MB GL 350?

Name:  2016%20S6%20Feb%202016%20Oil%20Change%20Analysis.jpg
Views: 104
Size:  234.7 KB
Name:  2015%20MB%20GL%20350%20Bluetech%20Feb%202016.jpg
Views: 134
Size:  215.4 KB
Old 05-03-2016, 06:18 AM
AudiWorld Super User

"Cult" > "obsession with, fixation on, mania for, passion for, idolization of, devotion to, worship of, veneration of."
Old 05-03-2016, 06:28 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

That pretty much describes it.

Originally Posted by snagitseven
"Cult" > "obsession with, fixation on, mania for, passion for, idolization of, devotion to, worship of, veneration of."
Old 05-03-2016, 07:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

As Bob Dylan wrote:
"And who's been left behind
When you go your way and I go mine".
Old 05-03-2016, 02:10 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Curious about those quattro decals...was that put on by the dealer or ordered? I better not have those on my car when I pick it up on Sat.

Quick Reply: New car break in method