S6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi S6 produced from 2012 - 2017

Pads, Rotors, & Fluid on Order!

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2016, 01:06 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pads, Rotors, & Fluid on Order!

Just ordered OEM rotors, Disc Italia Hyper Ceramic pads, and Pentosin Super DOT 4 fluid (Not tracking this car). Realized from my order that I am a lazy bum lol (ie boring blanks and ceramic pads to limit cleaning)

Anything that I need to keep in mind while completing the brake job? I saw the fantastic write up on changing pads. Still debating on whether to spend the $230 on shims... I will probably feel anxious tonight and order them.

Any guidance/suggestions are welcome as this will be my first brake job.
Old 03-16-2016, 07:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No suggestions, but I want to follow this post. I just took my S6 in for its 45,000 mile service today and was advised that I will need front brakes soon, and it would be $2,100. I told the service advisor I'd sooner cut a hole in the floor and stop the car Fred Flintstone style rather than paying that much for a front brake job.

I have new pads for all four wheels that I bought from an AW member via the classifieds here and I'm likely going to replace the rotors too. Can I ask for the part number on the shims? When I look at the brake diagram online I don't know what to look for and "shim" doesn't appear on a page search.

It looks like rotors will be $257.92 each plus shipping. Ouch!

Edit: I think I found the part number: 4H0698231. It's $193.44 at AudiUSAParts.

Last edited by 69Firebird400; 03-16-2016 at 07:19 PM.
Old 03-16-2016, 10:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

$2,100 for front brakes?!?! What are they made of, gold?!?! Even if I won a $100,000,000,000 lotto, I would not pay that for a brake job. A brake job is so easy, even a caveman can do it. btw, I saved 15% on Geico!
Old 03-16-2016, 10:50 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

This S6 DIY brake job thread might answer some of your questions.

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/s6-...6-7-a-2889241/
Old 03-17-2016, 01:06 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I got quoted $1800 and $2000 by local dealerships for just the brake pads & rotors and $1550 by an indy for pads, rotors, and fluid. After consulting with a couple of gear head friends, I was convinced to indulge my "mechanical fascinations" and to try this one myself. I was told that while critical, a brake job is about as easy as it gets.

i'm going to try the silicone trick to reuse the anti vibration dampers... not sure it will work though

69Firebird400: I just got my 45K service done a month ago and they said the same thing. Although, I was technically asking for it since I wanted them to get rid of that terrible squeal. I didn't expect the front brake job cost (although in context with the Porsche... not too bad) Funny enough, its a wonder i haven't seen you on the roads being that we essentially have the same exact car lol.
Old 03-18-2016, 04:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

I did my front and rears about 2k miles ago. I reused the anti vibration dampers. Just be carful removing them and use a little silicone to reapply. Mine are working fine.
Old 03-25-2016, 08:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by gee2dasahn
I got quoted $1800 and $2000 by local dealerships for just the brake pads & rotors and $1550 by an indy for pads, rotors, and fluid. After consulting with a couple of gear head friends, I was convinced to indulge my "mechanical fascinations" and to try this one myself. I was told that while critical, a brake job is about as easy as it gets.

i'm going to try the silicone trick to reuse the anti vibration dampers... not sure it will work though

69Firebird400: I just got my 45K service done a month ago and they said the same thing. Although, I was technically asking for it since I wanted them to get rid of that terrible squeal. I didn't expect the front brake job cost (although in context with the Porsche... not too bad) Funny enough, its a wonder i haven't seen you on the roads being that we essentially have the same exact car lol.
Good luck getting those stickies off in one piece. The metal
Centers on all of mine remained in the caliper piston. Had to dig them out and Never replaced them. No issues so far.
Old 03-26-2016, 05:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Is anyone reusing their rotors? Typically, rotors are good for two sets of pads right? Just make sure you measure the thickness and check that they're within spec. Of course, if you go to the dealer they want to replace everything so they can make more money.
Old 03-27-2016, 05:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

No reason u need new rotors if your minimum thickness is not at risk. I found a bit of a lip on mine and you can carefully grind them down if you want. But I got new rotors anyway so now I don't need to be concerned about brakes for quite a while.

And I see dealers charge close to 2 grand all in. Just the sales tax on that is more tan I spent on the pads.
Old 03-28-2016, 04:54 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by turbonator
Is anyone reusing their rotors? Typically, rotors are good for two sets of pads right? Just make sure you measure the thickness and check that they're within spec. Of course, if you go to the dealer they want to replace everything so they can make more money.
A good call-out. The issue for mine is that I have a good amount of scoring on the rotor and the squeal pulses which leads me to believe that at least one of my rotors is warped.

Once I actually get my pads in and find some time, I'll take a closer look.

Quick Reply: Pads, Rotors, & Fluid on Order!