Go Back   AudiWorld Forums > Audi Models > Audi A6 / S6 / RS 6 > S6 (C7 Platform) Discussion
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?


S6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi S6 produced from 2012 - Present

Photos of my new Black Optic S6 grill

Reply
 
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-07-2013, 10:15 AM   #1
AudiWorld Member
Account #: 131860
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 351
Default Photos of my new Black Optic S6 grill

(EDIT: I fixed the orientation issues...)

It's awesome. The car looks wider, more planted -- and more aggressive. Very happy with the look of the car. With the LED running lights lit, this car looks like coupe from the front. Also, the Black optic grill does work (from a looks perspective) with the lower bright work around the lower sensors.

All it needs is a tint and it will be done.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image-5.jpg (41.6 KB, 345 views)
File Type: jpg image-1.jpg (59.7 KB, 335 views)
File Type: jpg image-3.jpg (68.4 KB, 330 views)
File Type: jpg image-4.jpg (68.4 KB, 331 views)
File Type: jpg image-2.jpg (66.9 KB, 337 views)
__________________
2013 Audi S6, Phantom Black, Lunar Silver, Innovation, B&O, Cold Weather, 20 Inch Wheels, Shades
2013 Mercedes GL 450, Diamond White, Tan Leather Package, Towing Package, Illuminated Side Steps
2008 Chevrolet Malibu LS, Black Metallic, Grey Interior

Last edited by GermanGarage; 09-08-2013 at 05:51 PM.
GermanGarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 11:39 AM   #2
AudiWorld Member
Account #: 154433
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 373
Default

Looks pretty sick. Sorry if I missed it, but how much did the grill end up costing you?
__________________
2013 S6: Ibis White
2013 RS5: Panther Black

Prior Audis:
2007 S6 Sedan
2001 S4 Avant
2001 S4 Sedan
1998 A4 1.8T Sedan
S4thrills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 11:59 AM   #3
AudiWorld Senior Member
Account #: 244666
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Winter Park, FL
Posts: 908
Default

Impressive..... Most impressive.
subterFUSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 12:57 PM   #4
AudiWorld Member
Account #: 131860
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 351
Default More pictures

Quote:
Originally Posted by subterFUSE View Post
Impressive..... Most impressive.
Thanks Subter.

Here are some more pictures oriented the right way... I tried to get shots to include the chrome treatments on the side so you guys can see how this looks w/o doing additional black-outs.

The grill is around $1000 after 20% discount from Audi parts. However, I sold my S6 original grill for $500, so it wasn't that bad.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image-1.jpg (103.3 KB, 393 views)
File Type: jpg image.jpg (100.4 KB, 391 views)
File Type: jpg image-2.jpg (99.3 KB, 390 views)
File Type: jpg image-3.jpg (81.7 KB, 387 views)
__________________
2013 Audi S6, Phantom Black, Lunar Silver, Innovation, B&O, Cold Weather, 20 Inch Wheels, Shades
2013 Mercedes GL 450, Diamond White, Tan Leather Package, Towing Package, Illuminated Side Steps
2008 Chevrolet Malibu LS, Black Metallic, Grey Interior
GermanGarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 01:40 PM   #5
AudiWorld Member
Account #: 154433
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 373
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanGarage View Post
The grill is around $1000 after 20% discount from Audi parts. However, I sold my S6 original grill for $500, so it wasn't that bad.
Cool. Any idea if they have two different part numbers for grills with/without innovation package? And out of curiosity, where did you unload your original grill for $500?
__________________
2013 S6: Ibis White
2013 RS5: Panther Black

Prior Audis:
2007 S6 Sedan
2001 S4 Avant
2001 S4 Sedan
1998 A4 1.8T Sedan
S4thrills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 01:50 PM   #6
AudiWorld Member
Account #: 131860
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 351
Default

If you call your Audi dealer, ask for parts, they will provide you the part number for the grill without the innovation.

My oroginal S6 grill was mint, no oxidation, no scratches, was sold to a guy with an A6 with innovation that is going for the S6 look. I found them through this forum.

The bright optic S6 grill is also a $1200 part, so it was a win win. He got a original grill, I got an effective discount on my black optic grill.
GermanGarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 02:25 PM   #7
AudiWorld Member
Account #: 154433
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 373
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanGarage View Post
If you call your Audi dealer, ask for parts, they will provide you the part number for the grill without the innovation.

My oroginal S6 grill was mint, no oxidation, no scratches, was sold to a guy with an A6 with innovation that is going for the S6 look. I found them through this forum.

The bright optic S6 grill is also a $1200 part, so it was a win win. He got a original grill, I got an effective discount on my black optic grill.
Nice work. Thanks again.
__________________
2013 S6: Ibis White
2013 RS5: Panther Black

Prior Audis:
2007 S6 Sedan
2001 S4 Avant
2001 S4 Sedan
1998 A4 1.8T Sedan
S4thrills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 08:11 PM   #8
AudiWorld Member
Account #: 9749
 
CreoS4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: West Los Angeles
Posts: 537
Send a message via AIM to CreoS4
Default

Looks good!

I'm waiting for someone to confirm fitment of the RS6 grille first. If it doesn't fit, I'll go with the black optics grille and have the gloss black surround wrapped with a brushed aluminum/silver vinyl to match the trim...
__________________
-Mike- : 2014 Glacier White S6 : 21x9.5" HRE P44SC + 265/30/21 Michelin Pilot Super Sport : APR : AWE Touring Edition Exhaust + Diamond Black Tips : H&R ETS : RS6 Grille : Satin Black Rear Diffuser : Recaro ProSport
CreoS4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 08:24 AM   #9
AudiWorld Senior Member
Account #: 124899
 
Roswell's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Beacon Hill, Boston, MA
Posts: 1,876
Default

Did you install it yourself? Looks awesome.

I installed this on my S5 and have ordered this for the S6 too. Curious if I should attempt to do it myself or not.. Thanks.
__________________
2013 Phantom Black S6
Boston, MA
Roswell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 08:43 AM   #10
AudiWorld Senior Member
Account #: 259810
 
gatorguy7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 668
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreoS4 View Post
Looks good!

I'm waiting for someone to confirm fitment of the RS6 grille first. If it doesn't fit, I'll go with the black optics grille and have the gloss black surround wrapped with a brushed aluminum/silver vinyl to match the trim...
Search on the forum. I think it has been confirmed that the RS6 grille will fit. There also non-OEM options which fit as well.
__________________
2013 Estoril Blue S6
20" Giovanna Sardina's|ECS Spacers|Custom Spoiler|30% Ceramic Tint|Blacked out filler panel|Escort Max hardwired|Escort ZR4 Laser Shifters|Opti-coat 2.0|Stasis Rear Sway Bar|Audi Puddle Lights

Other rides:
Hottest wife ever
Her 2010 BMW M5
2008 Ford Expedition
gatorguy7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 09:11 AM   #11
AudiWorld Member
Account #: 131860
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 351
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roswell View Post
Did you install it yourself? Looks awesome.

I installed this on my S5 and have ordered this for the S6 too. Curious if I should attempt to do it myself or not.. Thanks.
Thanks for your comments. I am thrilled w/ the results. My view is that the chrome-multi-color grill on the S6 is too busy. I have seen folks black out the grey strip, which makes it look 10X better. However, given my car is black, I thought I would go all the way.

Reality is that the features of the car really change w/ this addition. Before, the bright grill was dominating the front features, now the LED headlights and LED running lights are doing all the talking. It makes the car look wider, meaner -- and (IMO), it works well w/ the lower bright work around the sensors/fog lights. I do not think I am going to black those out.

WRT to install: I couldn't install myself due to the fact the car has innovation. The dealer has to recalibrate the cameras and has a special visualization system to do that -- so they did it.

Since I used an Audi OEM part, the car is still "S6 pure". ;-) (Doubt that matters to anyone, but me.)

Best of luck.
__________________
2013 Audi S6, Phantom Black, Lunar Silver, Innovation, B&O, Cold Weather, 20 Inch Wheels, Shades
2013 Mercedes GL 450, Diamond White, Tan Leather Package, Towing Package, Illuminated Side Steps
2008 Chevrolet Malibu LS, Black Metallic, Grey Interior
GermanGarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 09:15 AM   #12
AudiWorld Senior Member
Account #: 259810
 
gatorguy7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 668
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanGarage View Post
Thanks for your comments. I am thrilled w/ the results. My view is that the chrome-multi-color grill on the S6 is too busy. I have seen folks black out the grey strip, which makes it look 10X better. However, given my car is black, I thought I would go all the way.

Reality is that the features of the car really change w/ this addition. Before, the bright grill was dominating the front features, now the LED headlights and LED running lights are doing all the talking. It makes the car look wider, meaner -- and (IMO), it works well w/ the lower bright work around the sensors/fog lights. I do not think I am going to black those out.

WRT to install: I couldn't install myself due to the fact the car has innovation. The dealer has to recalibrate the cameras and has a special visualization system to do that -- so they did it.

Since I used an Audi OEM part, the car is still "S6 pure". ;-) (Doubt that matters to anyone, but me.)

Best of luck.
I too appreciate that you still have a S6 grille. It is important to me too although I like the RS6 grille. I do agree that the black grille looks amazing on black. I agree that you don't need to black out the chrome on the lower sensors because it looks perfect with the Audi rings. I am thinking about blacking mine out though because I still have the full chrome grille. Probably will try it with plastidip and see how it looks and then go from there.
__________________
2013 Estoril Blue S6
20" Giovanna Sardina's|ECS Spacers|Custom Spoiler|30% Ceramic Tint|Blacked out filler panel|Escort Max hardwired|Escort ZR4 Laser Shifters|Opti-coat 2.0|Stasis Rear Sway Bar|Audi Puddle Lights

Other rides:
Hottest wife ever
Her 2010 BMW M5
2008 Ford Expedition
gatorguy7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 10:06 AM   #13
AudiWorld Senior Member
Account #: 124899
 
Roswell's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Beacon Hill, Boston, MA
Posts: 1,876
Default

Thanks for the feedback. I too think it does the most justice on a black car, but I didn't consider the car in any other color. I ordered the OEM black optics grill as I'd prefer to keep as much factory equipment as possible. I'll post some photos of my car after this install. The gray and chrome on the original grill is a bit flashy and I think black will bring a sinister look to the front end.

Until now I have installed:
OEM RS4 style 20"x9" wheels, 29 offset
AWE exhaust
H&R lowering module
tint & clear bra
__________________
2013 Phantom Black S6
Boston, MA
Roswell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 10:32 AM   #14
AudiWorld Senior Member
Account #: 246555
 
DeerHunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 931
Default

I wonder what it would look like on a white car.
__________________
2013 Glacier White S6
2005 S4 Cabriolet (Sold)
DeerHunter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 10:56 AM   #15
AudiWorld Super User
Account #: 228095
 
tenspeed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Honeoye New York USA
Posts: 2,108
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeerHunter View Post
I wonder what it would look like on a white car.
You could try Plasti-Dip to see what it looks like.

I think it looks great on the black and darker colors. Don't think it would look as good on the silver, white and red.
__________________
As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible,
but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake
tenspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 11:20 AM   #16
AudiWorld Senior Member
Account #: 246555
 
DeerHunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 931
Default

GermanGarage, could you please do me a huge favour? If you could take a picture at the same angle/distance as the one below, I'll Photoshop the black grill onto a white car for everyone to see.

Click the image to open in full size.
__________________
2013 Glacier White S6
2005 S4 Cabriolet (Sold)
DeerHunter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 12:05 PM   #17
AudiWorld Senior Member
Account #: 244666
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Winter Park, FL
Posts: 908
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeerHunter View Post
I wonder what it would look like on a white car.
Like This
subterFUSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 02:26 PM   #18
AudiWorld Member
Account #: 9749
 
CreoS4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: West Los Angeles
Posts: 537
Send a message via AIM to CreoS4
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorguy7 View Post
Search on the forum. I think it has been confirmed that the RS6 grille will fit. There also non-OEM options which fit as well.
No one, to my knowledge, has installed an OEM RS6 grille on their S6 yet. I've seen a few that have installed the eBay replica grilles, though...
__________________
-Mike- : 2014 Glacier White S6 : 21x9.5" HRE P44SC + 265/30/21 Michelin Pilot Super Sport : APR : AWE Touring Edition Exhaust + Diamond Black Tips : H&R ETS : RS6 Grille : Satin Black Rear Diffuser : Recaro ProSport
CreoS4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 02:30 PM   #19
AudiWorld Member
Account #: 9749
 
CreoS4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: West Los Angeles
Posts: 537
Send a message via AIM to CreoS4
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanGarage View Post
WRT to install: I couldn't install myself due to the fact the car has innovation. The dealer has to recalibrate the cameras and has a special visualization system to do that -- so they did it.
If everything goes back in the same place, is the recalibration actually necessay? Is the dealer the one who told you it needs to be done?
__________________
-Mike- : 2014 Glacier White S6 : 21x9.5" HRE P44SC + 265/30/21 Michelin Pilot Super Sport : APR : AWE Touring Edition Exhaust + Diamond Black Tips : H&R ETS : RS6 Grille : Satin Black Rear Diffuser : Recaro ProSport
CreoS4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 04:30 PM   #20
AudiWorld Member
Account #: 131860
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 351
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeerHunter View Post
GermanGarage, could you please do me a huge favour? If you could take a picture at the same angle/distance as the one below, I'll Photoshop the black grill onto a white car for everyone to see.

Click the image to open in full size.
Hi Deerhunter -- will do. I will try to take a shot on Monday.
__________________
2013 Audi S6, Phantom Black, Lunar Silver, Innovation, B&O, Cold Weather, 20 Inch Wheels, Shades
2013 Mercedes GL 450, Diamond White, Tan Leather Package, Towing Package, Illuminated Side Steps
2008 Chevrolet Malibu LS, Black Metallic, Grey Interior
GermanGarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 04:30 PM
AudiWorld
Audi R8




Paid Advertisement
 
 
 
Reply

Tags
2013, a6, astoril, audi, black, blue, gray, grill, optic, optics, option, picture, quartz, s5, s6


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



Join AudiWorld

All times are GMT -8. The time now is 11:33 AM.


Copyright 2014 AudiWorld.com Audi Enthusiast Community