S6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi S6 produced from 2012 - 2017

Picking up a 2013 S6 tomorrow - What should I look for?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2015, 10:04 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Picking up a 2013 S6 tomorrow - What should I look for?

Hi All,

I'm picking up a used 2013 S6 from a dealer out of state tomorrow (flying there, driving the car home). Obviously I've only seen pictures at this point, and will be doing a detailed inspection/test drive when I pick it up.

I've spent a decent amount of time on this forum looking for things to be aware of, but I'd love any advice for any issues particular to this series of S6 that I should look for before signing the paper work. Please let me know if you have any items you think I should be aware of.

I've read about the throttle lag issues, and I had the dealer already apply the TSB that should take care of it. So that's one thing off the list.

Anything else? The car has 18K miles on it and has about 20 months of warranty left. They would have CPO'd it for $3000 more, but I didn't think it was worth it.

Thanks in advance. Looking forward to being part of the club!
Old 03-18-2015, 10:22 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Number of times Launch Control has been used.
Old 03-18-2015, 10:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Make sure it isn't tuned or otherwise flagged as TD1 which could void the powertrain warranty.
Old 03-18-2015, 12:56 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks, guys. Both excellent recommendations, and things I hadn't thought of.
Old 03-18-2015, 03:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Congrats! Make sure to post pics. Good advice so far, can't think of too much to add besides the usual stuff not unique to the S6.
Old 03-18-2015, 05:16 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by JohnnyG0925
Make sure it isn't tuned or otherwise flagged as TD1 which could void the powertrain warranty.
A couple thoughts to consider around the tune.

First I have a 2010 S4 with 147,000 miles. It's had the APR tune since the 25,000 mile mark. I've never been TD1'd. Today I received the latest oil analysis and the engine is showing very little wear. Not burning oil. Run's like a champ.

And the tune is amazing on the car.

Second thought is if the dealership was going to CPO the car then I doubt it has been TD1'd.

These engines, especially the 4.0 TFSI can handle a ton more than what Audi is sending us.

I would ask for a maintenance history (if available). Be sure to check the quality/tread remaining on the tires. Interior scratches or wear indicate how the previous owner took care of the car. Paint chips, wheel curb rash, etc.
Old 03-18-2015, 05:48 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Some notes from my "Car pick up check list" file. Some info might be dated so check out TSB numbers and Versions.

--------

New To Audi, New To The Forums - AudiWorld Forums

Car buying check list before leaving the lot.

Here's a check list I use (in no particular order) that can make it a good experience:

1. Inspect the car carefully inside and out for any damage or obvious cosmetic issues and have the dealer note them on the invoice.

2. Allow the dealer to walk you through the various features (this gives you a jump start on understanding all the systems).

3. Ensure the dealer activates Sirius and T-Mobile free trials.

4. Ensure the AMI cable is present and if you have an iPhone or 3rd generation iTouch, see if they will swap out the blue grommet AMI cable for the red one (for video and album art display).

5. Resist all offers to purchase add-ons from the finance mgr. like extended warranties, Audi Care, paint treatments, etc. Despite what he may say otherwise, you can purchase these later if you are so inclined. (Audi Care is the only one I'll buy at 15K service and bras and films will be usually less expensive from third parties on your own).

6. Ensure you get a full tank of gas or Diesel and AdBlue.

7. If required, make sure they provide the info to your insurance company and the car has its inspection sticker.

8. Ensure the shipping blocks have been removed.

9. Ensure spare, jack and all operating manuals are present.

10. Check tire pressures are not set to the max settings on the door label but are set to the manual's recommendation.

11. Bring a camera and take some photos before you drive it off the lot. The car will never look better and you'll have a nice record of the experience for later.

11a. put the car up on lift to check underside

11b. Check MMI to see if the owners manual is loaded onto hard drive.

11c. Check the MMI version number (0609, 0715, 0715-2, 0726) - Please help. MMI info needed - AudiWorld Forums

12. Try not to be too excited to drive the car before running down the list above.

2013 A7 Won't keep running when I get out - AudiWorld Forums

Have dealer shut off the "engine off when getting out of the car" function

========================

- Make sure the final sales contract reflects what was agreed to and the car has the options you expected.

- Avoid all the offers to sell you extra stuff at closing. You don't need any of it right now, if ever. You can do much better on price and usually quality obtaining things like paint film and window tinting on your own. Pass on extended warranties and Audi Care for now. I'm a proponent for Audi Care (many discussion here at AW) but I wait until my 15K mile service to purchase since the 5K service is free anyway. Keep you $ as long as you can.

- Do a complete walk around and carefully examine the exterior as well as the interior for any issues.

- Make sure you have all the manuals and AMI cable.

- Check for the spare, jack, second key fob, emergency plastic key, etc.

- Allow the salesperson to run through the operation with you. You will pick up at least some info before you drive away.

- Bring a tire gauge with you. Dealers typically over inflate the tires to the max pressure on the door label vs. what is recommended in the manual.
Old 03-18-2015, 06:22 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Tell them you are very particular about the fit and finish of the car. Have them take good quality photos of any imperfections and send them to you. Additionally, have them send you the carfax for the car you are looking at. I turned down a car once based on the carfax. The carfax did not show a bad title, but did show the car was in for service a lot. Most people bring their car in 2 or 3 times a year for oil changes. If the car has been in 8 time over a year and a half, chances are you are buying somebodies else's problem.. Good Luck!
Old 03-19-2015, 08:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tenspeed

11b. Check MMI to see if the owners manual is loaded onto hard drive.
I have a 2014 and the owners manual is not loaded onto the hard drive. I asked the dealer about it and was told there isn't one to load.

Was I misinformed?
Old 03-19-2015, 09:29 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Look for any uneven wear on tires and also get the thickness of the brakepads. The brake work itself will cost around 1500$. If the the car is tracked a lot then there is a good chance that it needs new rotors and pads by 20k miles.

Drive the car at steady speeds(60/70mph) to hear if anything rattles. Also go over bumpy uneven roads to find if something is loose especially near the front drivers side AC vent and also on the rear(behind the rear seats). Looks for uneven paint finish near rocker panel, bumpers, hood as there can be chances if they are repainted. Also look for paint finish near the the door hinges for any clue of repaint.
Again remember clean carfax doesn't mean that the car is not involved in accident and Audi can CPO an accident vehicle if it meets driving conditions.
Try to get Audicare free of cost from the dealer included in the purchase price. There is a good chance that they will throw it off as incentive

Quick Reply: Picking up a 2013 S6 tomorrow - What should I look for?