S6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi S6 produced from 2012 - 2017

RS5

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2014, 11:04 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RS5

Happy New Year. My S6 was in the shop recently (coolant leak again). My loaner was a brand new S4. The first thing I noticed was how agile the smaller car is. Yes the S6 is more luxurious, more powerful and a better highway car but it is also a boat. Would anyone consider switching to an RS5? I might be comparing apples to oranges but in June 2015 I will not be driving 100 miles per day and a smaller more fun to drive to car might be a switch worth considering. Thank you for your opinions.
Old 12-31-2014, 12:55 PM
gk1
AudiWorld Super User

Received 517 Likes on 452 Posts

I thought about and test drove the RS5 prior to getting my S6 and coming from an S4.
For the interior...pretty much the same as the S4 so the S6 wins big there as you already know.

For myself though the rock hard RS5 suspension did not suit my needs but I'm sure adds significantly to the agility of both the RS5 and similarly the S4 you drove. The S6 suspension is simply just not as stiff (which I actually prefer). As others have said a good set of sways on the S6 help but it is overall always going to be a larger car and never be quite as agile.

What really failed it for the RS5 for myself was the engine. While lovely to hear the engine and very nice when you wring it out, the power band was ultimately not useful as a daily driver. This is evident if you overlay their power curves from Audi data. The S6 is about 40-50KW(55-65HP) more powerful through its entire rev range and has up to 200NM (150lb-ft) more torque within that range. Basically the RS5 motor takes over where the S6 motor ends at about 6k RPMs. If you drive around a lot in the 6k-8k RPM range (perhaps on the track) then I'm sure it is very nice, but if not the 4.0T power band is more usable. At least for me...I'm sure many others will disagree. The RS5 does weigh quiet a bit less than the S6 4000 vs. 4400 lbs. unless you go for the cabriolet, but neither can be considered a featherweight. Also consider there is some proof the S6 motor is very underrated I'm not sure the same can be said of the RS5 motor.

Also (again for myself) I could see getting tired of the RS5 exhaust every day but I am becoming a bit of an old man...
Old 12-31-2014, 01:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

As a former B8 S4 owner, I have to agree that the C7 interior is such a better place to spend time waiting in traffic. That being said, if Audi ever offers an RS version of a sedan (or wagon?!) I'm all over it.
Old 12-31-2014, 03:16 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jjmhood1
Happy New Year. My S6 was in the shop recently (coolant leak again). My loaner was a brand new S4. The first thing I noticed was how agile the smaller car is. Yes the S6 is more luxurious, more powerful and a better highway car but it is also a boat. Would anyone consider switching to an RS5? I might be comparing apples to oranges but in June 2015 I will not be driving 100 miles per day and a smaller more fun to drive to car might be a switch worth considering. Thank you for your opinions.
Apples and oranges. The RS5 delivers a very different driving experience. Neither car is really a "substitute" for the other. My M3 is a very similar car to the RS5 and it delivers a much more raw and engaging driving experience. I find the normally aspirated high revving V8 to be completely intoxicating, but it does not pack the same firepower as the S6, for sure.

I have a larger rear sway bar, lighter wheels, bigger tires and an H&R module on my S6 and it makes the car handle MUCH better, but it still feels like a big car.
Old 12-31-2014, 06:23 PM
Head Cat Herder

Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts

I've spent lots of time in both. The S6 is a caged beast. It may not be the fleetest of foot in the twisties, but in a straight line, it wipes the floor with the RS 5. The thing about the RS 5 is it makes its power all on top. You get nothing worth talking about till 4 grand, then you need to hang on till 8 for max power. It is an animal and wickedly fun to drive, but literally the polar opposite of the S6.
Old 12-31-2014, 06:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Do we expect the RS5 refresh (mid/late 2016 as a MY17 I think?) to be vastly improved over what we have now? I'd envision this S6 engine tuned to close to 480/500HP, virtual cockpit, and some of the other goodies (updated/improved) we are accustomed to in our S6s?

I considered switching out of my S6 to the RS5 earlier this year but ultimately was more enthusiastic about what this car could be in 18-24 months with the next iteration versus what it is now... (disclaimer, I do not track/race any cars).
Old 01-07-2015, 06:10 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by jjmhood1
Hello. Thank you for your reply. I appreciate it. Here is another question. If you had the means would you purchase a S8 or RS7 and why? These are big cars that are fast in a straight line but are not the most agile care when compared to something like a Porsche Panamera. My statement is based on magazine and online reviews. I have not driven any of these cars. Thank you for your opinion.
Old 01-07-2015, 08:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by gk1

Also (again for myself) I could see getting tired of the RS5 exhaust every day but I am becoming a bit of an old man...
Funny, that's precisely the reason (along with stiff suspension) that I backed out of a deal on a RS5...they were getting ready to transfer it to the dealership I was working with and I called and cancelled the deal - while it would have been a kick to drive, the suspension, exhaust and 2-doors ultimately would have gotten old very fast. I got the S6 and have been super happy with the car...it is incredibly fast, comfortable and the 4 doors make it so much more practical. And yes, I'm getting up there age-wise as well.
Z
Old 01-08-2015, 02:40 PM
Head Cat Herder

I would expect the new A4/S4/A5/S5 etc to have dramatically updated everything. At this point we can only guess as to what that will mean, but development is currently underway, and we've seen what the new TT and Q7 are bringing to the road, so the new A4 et al will be very exciting!!!
Old 01-08-2015, 02:42 PM
Head Cat Herder

The S8 is a huge boaty car relative to everything else. It is amazingly smooth and comfortable, but not at all a car for carving canyons or track days. The RS 7 is staggeringly fast in all directions, and actually handles well for its size. It is not as much a "driver's car" as the RS 5 is, but it more than makes up for that in brute force, and eyesight blurring acceleration. It is also significantly more comfortable, and technologically advanced. Given the means, I'd probably pick that car over any current Audi models for the "ultimate" car.

Quick Reply: RS5