S6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi S6 produced from 2012 - 2017

Should I get a 2016 S6?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2015, 02:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should I get a 2016 S6?

Lease is ending on my 2013 S4. Loved the car and would probably just go into another S4 had the new one arrived. I really like the current crop of Audis over anything BMW has to offer (never a fan of Mercedes and hard to go back to Japanese now). Problem is I am in this limbo period where the new models are all being rolled out soon but not soon enough. I do not really want to extend my current lease but I have basically driven everything Audi has to offer and there is nothing I absolutely love. Short of waiting for the new S4 to come out this summer (which isn't even a slam dunk with the substitution of the turbo for the supercharger and 8 speed for the DSG), I am not sure what to do. The S3 is a little to downgrade from the S4 in terms of size and interior. The A6 and A7 I really am trying to like and do "like" but not love. A little too luxo cruiser for me, especially coming out of the S4 which to me is the perfect amount of daily driver level comfort with that little bit of extra rawness when you want it without being full bore super sport with extra loud exhaust and extra stiff suspension. A7 is a looker but in terms of cost vs. performance and value it really makes no sense for me to spend an extra 8-10K on a sloped hatchback body with limited visibility, a shallow trunk and extra few hundred pounds of weight when the mechanics otherwise are exactly the same with the A6. The S6 is an option and I know this is a loaded question but is it really worth the 10K+ over a standard A6 which I could just option with black optics and sport to make it look more like an S6?

The A6 is certainly no slouch but I much prefer the tighter sport suspension and love the V8 feel and sound in the S6, but is that worth the large trade off in price? I do not like at all the current 5 series (in fact I was offered and almost pulled the trigger on a 550xi when I first got my S4 for about $30 difference in monthly payment but still went with the S4 because of how soft the new 5 series feels), would never get another Jag no matter how much they improved, have never been a fan of Mercedes and still am not and could never get into the way the Lexus and Infinitis of the world look. Cadillac has come a long way but interiors are really important to me and sitting in a caddy interior all day long would be unbearable.

I know it's a "what's important to you" type of question, but everything being equal does the "feel" and power edge of the V8, upgraded brakes (which I hear mixed reviews about) and suspension with various "S" interior and exterior bit upgrades warrant the 10K extra one would pay on an S6 vs the A6?

I've built online an A6 with one of the darker colors with Black Optics, S Line, Led Headlights and Bose and it looks quite aggressive and practically like an S6 while being substantially less.
Old 10-24-2015, 01:43 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I switched from a 2013 S4 to a 2016 S6 this summer and couldn't be happier. Handling and stopping--things that are highly affected by the weight of the car--are a step down and the car overall doesn't feel as nimble as the S4. But the flip side is the sport exhaust, power and comfort are significant improvements. In particular the air suspension is a huge upgrade compared to the S4, which crashed over urban roads.
Old 10-24-2015, 02:03 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default This exact conversation is receiving a thorough thrashing...

… on this thread: Not feeling the love

The above response is very well considered - the design philosophies of the S4 and S6 are quite different. Both great cars, but some of the edginess (transient response, haptic response, etc) is toned down in the S6 for a more luxurious feel. I love the S6, but because my wife is also a passionate canyon carver we settled on an S4 and RS5, even though we have had two previous A6's and were heading for an S6. I do miss the real back seat of the A6/S6 line and the ability to feel rested after a 600 mile drive.

Mu suggestion is to consider the amount of "sport" you need in your sedan. Also a word about the "Black Optics" option… both of our current cars (S4, RS5) and my previous 2014 S5 were Black Optics… I am now officially over it and will want a touch of sparkle in my next Audi. As you can see from the image below - the RS5 is somber and brooding. The S6 is a large car and quite stately in its comportment. I would order mine with a bit of chrome. If I could order the S6 is Dakota Grey with Nougat seats, I might throw all sensibility out the window and get rid of the RS5. I could get used to slinging the big beast through the canyon… my wife is quite patient and would wait for me at road junctions in her S4 ;-)

Eric
Attached Images  
Old 10-24-2015, 03:49 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 491 Likes on 335 Posts

The additional size, refinement, interior design and quality, and more up to date tech in the 6/7 series are the defining features over the current 4/5 series. The new B9 is going to bridge this gap, obviously. But none of the these seem vital to you, just nice to have.

The one other defining feature the 6/7series has is access to the TT V8 engine. And I think that is what would give you some joy if you make the change.

So I do not think you would be happy, given your comments, with an S/line A6 as a replacement for your S4. Either an S6, or look elsewhere.

And you are right, there aren't that many options out there. I'm looking too. There is a huge gulf between BMW's M cars and the rest of their range. And if you want all wheel drive and a sporty drive, they simply don't rate compared to Audi. The one Mercedes that may be worth a test drive is the C450 AMG. It matches the description of what you want, and to me is in the same ballpark as an S4. The engine has a bit more grunt up high, but feels a bit laggy down low to me compared to the Audi engine. It also feels coarser and I don't think it sounds as good. But AMG have done a good job reworking the 4MATIC system - the car handles well. The steering is better, quite a bit better, in the Mercedes. But the Mercedes is noisier (tyre noise, wind noise) and feels less refined. There is a big difference in the quality of the trim and interior design of the Mercedes compared to the Audi - the Mercedes seemed cheap and nasty in comparison. And that is against the old B8 platform. From what I have seen and heard of the B9, both BMW and Mercedes are going to be simply blown away in quality terms.

Back to the S6, drive it again and see if that engine moves you, so to speak. I think that may be your key decision point. I also agree with EasyGoing's comments. The S6 sports air suspension is also less harsh than the suspension on my A7 (S/line chassis with sport springs which is a 30mm drop over standard, not sure these individual options were available in US), both with 20" rims.
Old 10-25-2015, 08:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Glisse
The additional size, refinement, interior design and quality, and more up to date tech in the 6/7 series are the defining features over the current 4/5 series. The new B9 is going to bridge this gap, obviously. But none of the these seem vital to you, just nice to have.

The one other defining feature the 6/7series has is access to the TT V8 engine. And I think that is what would give you some joy if you make the change.

So I do not think you would be happy, given your comments, with an S/line A6 as a replacement for your S4. Either an S6, or look elsewhere.

And you are right, there aren't that many options out there. I'm looking too. There is a huge gulf between BMW's M cars and the rest of their range. And if you want all wheel drive and a sporty drive, they simply don't rate compared to Audi. The one Mercedes that may be worth a test drive is the C450 AMG. It matches the description of what you want, and to me is in the same ballpark as an S4. The engine has a bit more grunt up high, but feels a bit laggy down low to me compared to the Audi engine. It also feels coarser and I don't think it sounds as good. But AMG have done a good job reworking the 4MATIC system - the car handles well. The steering is better, quite a bit better, in the Mercedes. But the Mercedes is noisier (tyre noise, wind noise) and feels less refined. There is a big difference in the quality of the trim and interior design of the Mercedes compared to the Audi - the Mercedes seemed cheap and nasty in comparison. And that is against the old B8 platform. From what I have seen and heard of the B9, both BMW and Mercedes are going to be simply blown away in quality terms.

Back to the S6, drive it again and see if that engine moves you, so to speak. I think that may be your key decision point. I also agree with EasyGoing's comments. The S6 sports air suspension is also less harsh than the suspension on my A7 (S/line chassis with sport springs which is a 30mm drop over standard, not sure these individual options were available in US), both with 20" rims.
I think you are absolutely right and thank you for your response. I'm trying to make myself think the A6 could be ok, but I had a week in the A7 and just could not get into it. Surprisingly nimble and drives much smaller than it is, but nothing close to the S models, closer to the current 5 series if anything. For me the BMWs even in its current itineration look arguable as good if not better than the comparable Audis (subject and although I have owned many more Audis than BMW, I am no blind fanboy), I can appreciate the merits the BMWs have but their interiors to me are just too downgrade and the ergonomics like the stupid shifter, the poor start/stop functionality, heated seats you have to re-press everytime you start the car again, etc. are hard to overcome. I agree on the Mercedes engines but their driving dynamics in my opinion are the worst of the lot and even the new interiors I think look way over designed.

I am pretty much at 95% today about placing my order on a 2016 S6.
Old 10-27-2015, 01:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

Ordered today. Very simple build - Daytona Gray, Lunar Silver, Carbon Atlas and Bose. I wish they had the sports diff separate like they used to be but did not want to spring for sport exhaust and the steering at a clip of $3,500.00. Love the flat bottom steering wheel so did not think the heat feature was worth losing that so no cold weather either. I built my current S4 the same way - I just need navigation and the engine, suspension and brake upgrades that come standard with any S vehicle and I am golden. Can't wait.
Old 10-27-2015, 02:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Same build but I did get the sport package. I had a 14 with stock exhaust, then added awe and now have a '16 with the OEM sports exhaust. It's by far the best. Quiet then loud when it needs to be.

AWE didn't handle the V8 to V4 transition well

Stock was too quiet.

We call these rich problems. You're going to love whatever you pick. They're great cars!
Old 10-28-2015, 07:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by stillwaterS6
Same build but I did get the sport package. I had a 14 with stock exhaust, then added awe and now have a '16 with the OEM sports exhaust. It's by far the best. Quiet then loud when it needs to be.

AWE didn't handle the V8 to V4 transition well

Stock was too quiet.

We call these rich problems. You're going to love whatever you pick. They're great cars!
Couldn't agree more. Treated the color selections like it was life and death and I was deciding between a white and a gray lol