S6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi S6 produced from 2012 - 2017

Steering wheel groan

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2013, 05:23 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yup, that's the exact sound I'm getting. Some days it's a lot more consistent than others. The dealership just called to tell me my new steering column has arrived but this still sounds like a radical solution to me. I'm really concerned about what else they're going to screw up installing this and they can't even guarantee me this will solve the problem!
Old 08-15-2013, 05:27 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Please let us know what your dealership says. I'm interested to hear if they're also going to go with the new steering column route.

Originally Posted by ellisinA4
It started 3 days ago and is making noise consistently. I am taking it tomorrow for this and also TSBs.
Old 08-19-2013, 03:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

New steering shaft seems to have fixed the problem for me.
Old 08-19-2013, 07:44 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by randmname
New steering shaft seems to have fixed the problem for me.
seems like it's happening to more and more cars. Is there a TSB out on this?
Old 08-19-2013, 08:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by teelo
seems like it's happening to more and more cars. Is there a TSB out on this?
For my first repair where they lubricated the steering column, TSB 4855499. For the second repair where they replaced it, no TSB indicated.

Car has 4300 miles, was delivered Oct 2012.
Old 08-19-2013, 05:00 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by randmname
For my first repair where they lubricated the steering column, TSB 4855499. For the second repair where they replaced it, no TSB indicated.

Car has 4300 miles, was delivered Oct 2012.
Just picked up the car. For the groaning steering wheel noise, they found rubber boot on the steering wheel cover to be making the groaning noise. As per tech bulletin 2034351/2, lubed up the rubber boot.

Drove the car 5-6 miles home. Groaning noise is gone. We shall see if it comes back like in your case.
Old 08-20-2013, 04:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My car doesn't make that sound, but my steering wheel "pulses" with the type of turn shown on your video. It's something I feel and hear, different sound though. Imagine cat purring, that's kind of the sound. Dealer says it's normal, but that's hard for me to believe. My car only had 6000 miles.
Old 08-20-2013, 02:33 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by S6Express
My car doesn't make that sound, but my steering wheel "pulses" with the type of turn shown on your video. It's something I feel and hear, different sound though. Imagine cat purring, that's kind of the sound. Dealer says it's normal, but that's hard for me to believe. My car only had 6000 miles.
Does it happen only when you turn the wheel ALL the way right or left? Mine does that when turning the wheel all the way. It vibrates and makes a loud noise. took it to the shop they said it was normal but highly doubt it. Sounds like something is rubbing against something it shouldn't be rubbing against in my wheel wells. Easiest to hear when in reverse (pulling out of a parking spot) with windows down.

errrrrr
Old 08-21-2013, 05:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tony7314
Does it happen only when you turn the wheel ALL the way right or left? Mine does that when turning the wheel all the way. It vibrates and makes a loud noise. took it to the shop they said it was normal but highly doubt it. Sounds like something is rubbing against something it shouldn't be rubbing against in my wheel wells. Easiest to hear when in reverse (pulling out of a parking spot) with windows down.

errrrrr
No, it doesn't have to be at full lock to feel the pulsing. I'm going to a different dealer to see what they say.
Old 08-22-2013, 09:14 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

My wife's 2013 A6 does it when turning left, but sporadically. We thought it was tied to high humidity, but may be higher outside temps. Audi lubed the boot a couple weeks ago and we have not heard it again, but it hasn't been hot outside since. We're expecting high temps this weekend, so well see if it comes back.

Quick Reply: Steering wheel groan