S6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi S6 produced from 2012 - 2017

Thoughts going from S5 cab to S6?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2016, 10:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The S5 is a gorgeous car. I was in the market for a S5 back in '13 but I couldn't justify it because of the limited back space--needed to fit my kids back there every once in a blue moon when the wife felt too lazy to pick them up, so I settled for a 3.0T A6 Prestige. Fast forward 2.5 years. With most of us car freaks, we can never have enough power, right? I really wanted the new Vette, specifically the Z06. I've never been a Vette fan but you gotta like the new one! The interior still has a lot to be desired but the performance, $4$, cannot be beat. After a lot of soul searching, I wasn't ready for a 2 seater yet because of those "blue moon moments". A few days ago, I pulled the trigger and purchased a '16 S6 and all I can say is, WOW! It's no Vette or a Porche when it comes to cornering (but definitely good enough for my taste), that twin turbo V8 is something else. At sub 4 second 0-60 times (even better with a tune), it's basically a high performance sports car with room for 5. If you can forget that this beast has 4 doors, you'll think that you're in a sports car. If you are like many of us (love nice exhaust notes and extra performance), definitely get the Sport Pkg and the Black Optic Pkd. The Drivers Assist Pkg is a cool feature too but I could take it or leave it. I'm glad I got it though, for future resale value. With the S6, you can check both boxes: family hauler and high performance sports car. You will not be disappointed for sure!

Last edited by luv2sleep; 02-06-2016 at 11:00 AM.
Old 02-06-2016, 08:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by saw1
Over the weekend I had an opportunity to take an S6 for an extended test drive. I was generally impressed with things I knew about ahead of time like interior quality, tech, exterior looks. Performance was great, super quick! However, and this is completely my opinion, and very subjective, but the steering feel was not what I was hoping for. The steering on my S5 is my only complaint, it feels way too loose for a sporty car. The steering on the S6 in dynamic mode was even lighter than my S5. The S6 had the cold weather package so the steering wheel was thin and identical to the A6. I had an A6 as a loaner recently, and the S6 felt too similar to justify the extra cost.
For most daily driving situations a6 has plenty of power (even the 2.0), however there are a few things that you just can't get in the a6: suspension (the way it soaks up bumps yet stays at least as if not more level in the corner), the lack of floating sensation (had an a6 3.0 sports package loaner, the difference over the same road was very noticeable, my wife got carsick going on a straight road, which never happened in s4 or sq5), brakes, seats (if you do go with the a6, get the ventilated seats as they are the only ones that offer any additional thigh support), (leaving this one for last as in most daily situations you're unlikely to notice) sports diff.

You are going to notice a few negative things/trade offs: exterior dimensions - this thing is really long, turning radius, Quattro jitter at steering wheel extremes is stronger.

FWIW I sat in the a5 sedan in Germany and I think that if they brought it here s5 version of it would be the best compromise.

Highly subjective, but other than the price and the looks I get (I'm not a big fan of getting attention) I have no regrets about the trade (and if you get the black package the car will be even less noticeable).
Old 02-14-2016, 07:37 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went from the 2010 V8 NA S5, to a GTR, then the S6. All moded. What I've noticed the most is S6 is a sleeper car. Difinately not turning heads like a loud coupe.

-Power. bi-turbo, definitely lots more. It is really fast and can kick *** on most street locally born muscle sedans.
-Sound. All my cars are nearly straight pipes. Not as good as the NA S5, nor as good as the RS6/7 (no pops or crackles)
-Function. You basically get all the luxury functions you know on modern cars. Except one thing I hate is no fan cooled seats. BMW and MERC has.
-Handling. When cornering you will notice a lot, S6 has lots more body rolls. Even they all use Torsen LSDs, and S5 has ****ty suspension. S6 is such a big car. You lose control earlier so be careful.

Overall I do like S6, and you can't go wrong with S6. But if you give me one more chance i'd go an more exotic RS6 or RS7, but definitely have to pay lots more on these.