S6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi S6 produced from 2012 - 2017

Where to go after S6? Lease running out,what else did you try?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2015, 03:05 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 40 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Mattsam
S4- same car but smaller which I could live with and save some money
No, the S4 is not even in the same realm as the S6. Not even close.
The entire A4 platform is so far below the S6 that I honestly can't even believe they are made by the same company.

S7- same car uglier body more money
Correct.

A8- I can get the 4.0t engine I really like and a better interior- only 8 series I can afford
The A8 is a fantastic car. Love ours. It's not on the level of the S6 engine, but on the highway as a cruising car its awesome.

Q7- still haven't seen the new one
Haven't seen it yet. Did not like the old one, however.

Range Rover do I go to the top end SUV?
Mercedes > Range Rover

quote]Acura RLX sh-awd hybrid- very intriguing, les money[/quote]

Japanese cars are designed in a country where nobody can drive anywhere. They all just sit in traffic and don't move. The cars are comfortable while sitting still. They don't drive well, or handle well. And they are all ugly, too. The last time a Japanese car looked good was the 1995 Acura Legend Coupe.

BMW 3 or 6 series- need 4 doors- they just look boring
The BMW 3 series is the best option in small sedan category.
It's a better driving car than an A4/S4, has a better quality interior, and generally feels more stable on the road.

C series Amg63- I'm leaning towards this car, but it's more than a S6 and it's such a smaller vehicle.
BMW M3 > C63 AMG

Audi S6 > C63 AMG

Lexus- boring
Yup. It's Japanese. What do you expect?

Have you all found anything else that you liked? Volvo? Infinity?
Nope. I recently test drove a new E63 AMG sedan and hated it. I like my S6 more, and I could almost buy 2 of my S6s for the price of that E63. I just didn't get it. The interior was so bland and boring. Seats had no cupping to them. Suspension was too stiff on the softest setting. It felt heavy and slow.

I think my next car might be an S8 Plus.

But, I'm so damned happy with my current S6 I don't know if I would be happier with anything else.

Last edited by subterFUSE; 12-09-2015 at 03:08 PM.
Old 12-09-2015, 05:13 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What is your driving goal in the next round...

… the S6 is very capable, but like all cars, a compromise. For luxury hauling, the new Q7 will be a joy and a commanding view of the road. The interior is breathtaking.

I stand in awe of how beautifully done the A8/S8 is, but even at 6'4" - the car feels cavernous to me, so I am not a taker.

If you want to return to a tighter road feel or charge the canyons, I love the new Cadillac CTS-V, or the CTS-V Sport. All that the M5 used to be without the huge cost and upkeep headaches.

The Maserati Ghibli has been a sales disappointment so the leases on the big bruiser are falling below 1k/month - lot's of soul in that car, but a short lease only.

Want to have some sinful cheap fun? The Chevrolet SS with the new suspension and a 6-speed transmission is just a monster (for 45K). I have a cross country trip planned for next year and I am so tempted as it can be repaired in any place in America, parts are cheap and it is stealthy out in the boonies. My RS5 always brings stares.

Perhaps its your time to get a naturally aspirated 911 before they disappear - snag a leftover 2015 Carrera S or Carrera Black Edition, lightly configured with a 7-speed for under 100K

Don't get me wrong, I love Audis (nine so far), but life is short and the list of great cars is epic…

Keep us posted - Happy Shopping

Eric
Old 12-09-2015, 05:40 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by subterFUSE
No, the S4 is not even in the same realm as the S6. Not even close......The BMW 3 series is the best option in small sedan category. It's a better driving car than an A4/S4, has a better quality interior, and generally feels more stable on the road.
But, I'm so damned happy with my current S6 I don't know if I would be happier with anything else.
Not sure if you wrote that just for the lulz or what, but after just coming out of 4 years in a B8 S4, I couldn't possibly disagree more. What's more, the B8 S4 positively kicked the 3'er's a** in basically every comparison test I've seen - domestic and international.

Don't get me wrong, the 3-series is a nice car, but it no longer dominates as it once did.

Glad you like your S6, though - I'm enjoying mine, too!
Old 12-10-2015, 05:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

If you don't need AWD there are plenty of choices. I would seriously consider the CTS-V if I didn't need AWD and wanted a similar size car. Pretty amazing car for not much more than S6.
Old 12-10-2015, 06:14 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Just can't see myself in a caddy. I don't like the vibe, the look or the UI choices (but I haven't been in a new one). The A4 series is on the way out, so I wouldn't buy one of them (in fact, they dropped the prestige on the A variety for this reason.
Old 12-10-2015, 06:20 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

...one more thought, a Tesla XXD would be a fun change-up. They're pretty impressive even though they lack some of the functionality. While it depends on your driving profile, the ability not to ever have to fill-up is nice because it's always full in your house when you pull out. I drove q 90D a couple of months ago and liked it pretty darn well without it being a P model. It does have some over nice functionality our cars don't too, in addition to being WAY quieter than any other car.

Not in my county, but in some others around here there's a special EV charging rate to your home if you put a separate meter in. I know a guy who calculated that a month of driving hard cost him $8 in fuel.

They also have an amazing warranty and you can get ones that are demo cars for a big discount to finance or lease with few miles

Last edited by schalliol; 12-10-2015 at 06:22 AM.
Old 12-10-2015, 06:27 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 40 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by ZCD2.7T
Not sure if you wrote that just for the lulz or what, but after just coming out of 4 years in a B8 S4, I couldn't possibly disagree more.
I just can't stand the A4/S4 platform (or the A5 platform, either). It feels like a Volkswagon. There is nothing nice about it. Every time I sit inside one I am literally floored because I can't believe the same car company makes my S6.

To be totally honest, I feel largely the same way about the A6. Even that doesn't come close to being an S6.
Old 12-10-2015, 08:02 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by subterFUSE
...Even that doesn't come close to being an S6.
It's wonderful that you're so enthusiastic about your car.

Mine's great, too, but there are things that the S4 does better. Maybe not things YOU value, but things...

An example is the unparalleled responsiveness of the 3.0T motor, which offers many more options than the 4.0T in the S6 in the cut and thrust of rush hour traffic, on backroads AND on the track...

Anyway, enjoy your car!
Old 12-10-2015, 02:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

I'm looking forward to trying out the new Q7 and that's about the only SUV I'd consider. We have a 2013 Acura MDX and although it actually drives and handles much better than most other SUVs (especially better than the RDX) and is most definitely not just another boring Japanese car, it isn't in the same class as an Audi, and it isn't anything like the Audi S6. I can't see going from an S6 to any SUV. People have different tastes, needs and budgets. I preferred the 2014 A6 TDI to the S6 the last time I was shopping--by quite a bit and it wasn't the cost--but that's just me. I'd look at the A8, the new Q7 or another S6 if you like the model. I don't know that any other make but Mercedes would even get a look. I think BMW has just lost their way--too bad because they were at one time great cars. A few models still are. That's what I'd do but then none of us are you. Gotta admit the S6 could be a tough act to follow. It seems like maybe you're not so convinced. Am I reading you right? It's obviously not so captivating to you that this decision is a no-brainer.
Old 12-10-2015, 03:45 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Ok first post........I just sold a 2008 BMW 550 rear wheel drive. I live in the Northeast and need something with all wheel drive. I will give you a few thoughts about test drives I have done in the last 2 weeks. All cars were new.

Maserati Ghibli- The lines are beautiful and the sound can be intoxicating. The drive was a little boring compared to my 550.

BMW 550-felt very much like my old car. A little softer overall. This would be a safe pick.

Mercedes CLS550- I drove this because my son wanted me to. I was driving pretty much just to rule it out and tell him I drove it. It surprised me a lot! It was solid and fun. Probably too much bling for me to drive.

Mercedes C450 AMG-fun but too small. The 6cyl engine wound a little too much. I need the bigger engine.

Tesla S85D-Very fun. The electric does not scare me and no range anxiety. Lots of interesting technology. The downside was that Tesla is not an established auto maker and I am sure the car will be in the shop with growing pains. The interior was also sub par compared to all other cars I test drove in this class. Have I mentioned the instant acceleration? Very fun.

S6- Black Optic,sport,20" wheels. Great interior and awesome sound. This is a drivers car.

I have it down to the S6 and Tesla. I know this is an Audi forum but looking for something to push me one way or the other. Price for both are close enough not to be a consideration.

Thanks for any input

Quick Reply: Where to go after S6? Lease running out,what else did you try?