S6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi S6 produced from 2012 - 2017

XPel Ultimate on White Paint? Yes or No?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2013, 06:36 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 40 Likes on 32 Posts
Default XPel Ultimate on White Paint? Yes or No?

So I purchased a 2013 S6 yesterday. Ibis White.

Called the local XPel installer to inquire about price for a full front wrap with XPel Ultimate.

The guy said it would be $1700 to do the computer cut, or $1900 to do a manual cut with wrapped edges. Having seen this topic discussed on this forum many times I am aware this is a steep quote.

The installer also warned that White cars are the worst color for doing clear bra film because it's the only paint color that really looks different from the rest of the car once the film is installed. He did say that it might look good for a while, but eventually the Florida sun would discolor the film and because the car is white it will really show the color difference from the rest of the car that is not wrapped.

Does anyone here have experience with this? I am now very conflicted about whether or not to do the film. I don't want rock chips, but also don't want a two-toned looking paint job on my car.

Last edited by subterFUSE; 08-20-2013 at 02:52 AM.
Old 08-19-2013, 06:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by subterFUSE

Called the local XPel installer to inquire about price for a full front wrap with XPel Ultimate.

The guy said it would be $1700 to do the computer cut, or $1900 to do a manual cut with wrapped edges. Having seen this topic discussed on this forum many times I am disappointed with the quote.

The installer also told me that White cars are the worst color for doing clear bra film because it's the only paint color that really looks different from the rest of the car once installed. He did say that it might look good for a while, but eventually the Florida sun would discolor the film and because the car is white it will really show the color difference from the rest of the car that is not wrapped.

Does anyone here have experience with this? I am now very conflicted about whether or not to do the film. I don't want rock chips, but also don't want a two-tones looking paint job on my car.
I just recently took XPEL ultimate off my black BMW x5 after 2 yrs. It definitely did discolor and would probably be worse on white. I am **** about cleaning my cars and took care of the film but it still did yellow and darken. I'm sure white would exacerbate the issue.
$1700 for the whole car or just the bumper, lights and hood? That price is crazy as most places in NJ could wrap an entire care for that price
Old 08-19-2013, 06:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

The guy said it would be $1700 to do the computer cut, or $1900 to do a manual cut with wrapped edges. Having seen this topic discussed on this forum many times I am disappointed with the quote.

The installer also told me that White cars are the worst color for doing clear bra film because it's the only paint color that really looks different from the rest of the car once installed. He did say that it might look good for a while, but eventually the Florida sun would discolor the film and because the car is white it will really show the color difference from the rest of the car that is not wrapped.

Does anyone here have experience with this? I am now very conflicted about whether or not to do the film. I don't want rock chips, but also don't want a two-tones looking paint job on my car.
I have Xpel ultimate and Ibis White. Simply put, yes you will notice a slight difference in color between where the film is and isn't. But depending on what parts of the car you do, it may not be that noticeable. I don't notice it anymore as the difference is very subtle, but because our cars have no depth to the color, it is more noticeable than it would be on pearl white.

Regarding price, I received several quotes and ultimately paid around $1,200 for manual cuts with wrapped edges on the front bumper, hood and fenders. I also had the door handle cups, rear bumper below the trunk area and rear quarter panels all done for protection as well.

One other thing to note, I have noticed that the brake dust collects on the edge of the film in places where it wasn't able to be wrapped. Part of owning a white car that produces a lot of brake dust I suppose.
Old 08-19-2013, 06:51 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by ecpChris
I just recently took XPEL ultimate off my black BMW x5 after 2 yrs. It definitely did discolor and would probably be worse on white. I am **** about cleaning my cars and took care of the film but it still did yellow and darken. I'm sure white would exacerbate the issue.
$1700 for the whole car or just the bumper, lights and hood? That price is crazy as most places in NJ could wrap an entire care for that price
I told the installer I wanted the front hood, bumper, fenders and side mirrors covered with no seams and edges wrapped. He told me $1700 to do the job with pre-cut film, or $1900 to do it the way I wanted.

The pre-cut film won't have wrapped edges from what I understand. To get full wrap I would have to get the film custom cut from a roll. That's the way he quotes $1900 for.

Seems like a high price from what people in the forum have been reporting in their experience.

Last edited by subterFUSE; 08-20-2013 at 02:53 AM.
Old 08-19-2013, 06:56 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

DO NOT get this on a white car, had it on my white BMW and it turned yellow in less than a year. I also had it on my silver lexus and it turned yellow except it didn't look as bad as on a white car. No exaggeration but on the white car it was bright yellow by the edges.
Old 08-19-2013, 06:57 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by S4thrills
I have Xpel ultimate and Ibis White. Simply put, yes you will notice a slight difference in color between where the film is and isn't. But depending on what parts of the car you do, it may not be that noticeable. I don't notice it anymore as the difference is very subtle, but because our cars have no depth to the color, it is more noticeable than it would be on pearl white.
Do you have any pics posted of your car with the film applied? It would be interesting to see how it looks on white.

My dealer actually installed a small strip of clear bra film on the lower side skirts just behind the front wheels. The film is a noticeably different color than the surrounding paint that is unprotected. My wife actually commented on how she didn't like it.
Old 08-19-2013, 07:01 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by teelo
DO NOT get this on a white car, had it on my white BMW and it turned yellow in less than a year. I also had it on my silver lexus and it turned yellow except it didn't look as bad as on a white car. No exaggeration but on the white car it was bright yellow by the edges.
Wow. OK, I think that's probably good advice.

The installer spent about 5 minutes on the phone with me explaining how discolored film on white cars can look bad. I guess he was probably trying to talk me out of it. He sounds like a professional and honest guy, so I feel like I should take the advice.

Is there anything else that can be done to be more proactive with paint protection on the front end of the car?

Last edited by subterFUSE; 08-20-2013 at 02:56 AM.
Old 08-19-2013, 07:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Wow. OK, I think that's probably good advice.

The installer spent about 5 minutes on the phone with me explaining how discolored film on white cars can look bad. I guess he was probably trying to talk me out of it.

Is there anything else that can be done to be more proactive with paint protection on the front end of the car?
wrap the whole car in their stealth film it looks awesome and makes your car look matte
Old 08-19-2013, 07:17 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by sciblades
wrap the whole car in their stealth film it looks awesome and makes your car look matte
Seeing as how they quoted me $1900 for the front end, I can't imagine what a whole car covering would cost. :/
Old 08-19-2013, 07:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Seeing as how they quoted me $1900 for the front end, I can't imagine what a whole car covering would cost. :/
well you figure to wrap the whole car in vinyl is about 2200-2800 depending on who you get a quote for the whole car in this couldn't be that much more and if it was just barging them down by saying you can get a matte white vinyl that looks and preforms the same (giving the same paint protection) and if they give you a deal you will do a write up on the internet drawing attention to how great their product is. most companies will give you huge rebates if you do advertising for them, I suggest calling up the main distributer and having a talk with them on the phone and explain the car you own and it would help their companies image.

Quick Reply: XPel Ultimate on White Paint? Yes or No?