S6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi S6 produced from 2012 - 2017

YES, S6, but Sport Suspension on bad roads??

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2017, 12:13 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default YES, S6, but Sport Suspension on bad roads??

Hi all, I know I've been back and forth and back and forth --- But I've settled on an S6, used or new. I love the car and the standard sport seats seem great!! I live in San Francisco and drive in the city on horrible roads AND on long trips on much better freeways.

Question: If I get an S6 and add the sport suspension, does that REPLACE the air suspension (which i hear is amazing and helps with city driving), or does it simply tighten the air suspension, add the Dynamic Steering and Sport differential? So if I get it, will it still smooth out bad roads or will driving on crappy roads with lots of potholes be intolerable?

Thanks!!
Old 01-10-2017, 01:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

OP, I don't believe that there is a sport suspension option. There is a sport package (which is a must have imo due to its torque vectoring "sport diff"), but that package does not change the S6's suspension. Are you thinking about adding an aftermarket suspension?
Old 01-10-2017, 06:28 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

There is no sport suspension. The S6 comes with dynamic air suspension. You can change the firmness using Drive Select.

I live in the bay area (down the peninsula, in the foothills) where we have some inconsistent pavement. The standard air suspension is magic - especially compared to stock steel springs in other cars (like my wife's A4). I usually leave it in comfort mode. The car stays flat during corners but absorbs the harshness of bumps. The sport seats keep you in place. This is an incredible ride. Best suspension combo I've driven balancing sporty driving with daily use.
Old 01-10-2017, 06:56 AM
gk1
AudiWorld Super User

Received 517 Likes on 452 Posts

FWIW the air suspension on the S6 is more specifically "Audi adaptive air suspension (with S model specific tuning)". So you cannot compare it to a standard air suspension like on the A8 if that was your basis for comparison. It is definitely stiffer than the A8 suspension.
Also don't get the 20" wheel option if your roads are that wretched.
Old 01-10-2017, 09:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

East bay here and agree with the air suspension being pretty 'magical' (and yes it's no different with or without the sports package). I went from a regular non-sport steel suspension (A6 3.0) on 18" to the S6 with 20" and the ride is just as smooth, if not smoother... Definitely less body roll than in the A6 and my 20" are holding up pretty well, I obviously try to avoid big potholes but nevertheless have hit some, even made some 'airtime' going over a bump on a back road and my rims are still as straight as new.

The only thing that starts to annoy me already (coming up at 6k miles) are the stock pirelli p-zero tires. There's horrible stories about them on the forums and I tend to agree, the road noise is terrible only after this few miles. Recently had them rotated at the 5k service and it got even worse. I think I'll be switching soon.
Old 01-10-2017, 09:36 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thank all for the clarification. Sport suspension it is!
Old 01-10-2017, 05:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Tinbad
...The only thing that starts to annoy me already (coming up at 6k miles) are the stock pirelli p-zero tires. There's horrible stories about them on the forums and I tend to agree, the road noise is terrible only after this few miles. Recently had them rotated at the 5k service and it got even worse. I think I'll be switching soon.
Those tires have amazing grip, but they get really loud with age, as you're experiencing.

Michelin Pilot Super Sports have equal or better grip, and are silent by comparison. As a bonus, they also ride better.

Take a good look at them if you decide to make the switch.
Old 01-10-2017, 05:54 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by alcohen
Thank all for the clarification. Sport suspension it is!
Further clarification: ALL S6s get air suspension. Most would recommend that you also get the "Sports package" if buying new.
Old 01-11-2017, 12:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by ZCD2.7T
Those tires have amazing grip, but they get really loud with age, as you're experiencing.

Michelin Pilot Super Sports have equal or better grip, and are silent by comparison. As a bonus, they also ride better.

Take a good look at them if you decide to make the switch.
Thanks for the recommendation, they were actually top of my list, especially since they have a manufacturer backed 30-day return 100% money back that I already used once on my previous A6 when I didn't like the ride of the Pilot 3 A/S' and switched back to the stock Pirelli P7's. That was on 18" tires and regular suspension so I'm hoping the summer Michelins are going to be a better ride on the S6.