S7 Discussion forum for the Audi S7

S7 vs Tesla vs CL550

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2016, 08:47 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Indemand
I'm self employed where leasing makes the only sense. Sounds like you might not need to do this and recommend avoiding it. But, I'm loving the S7. Mine is not loaded and the power seems serene. I would expect the Tesla to deliver power even less aggressively (serenely). So whatever floats the boat here. I'm also not in an area where I would dare drive electric only due to lack of support. I am also going to guess deals on a Tesla are harder to find. 3 cents added.
Thank you for your help. I really appreciate everyone's input. If I may ask, why do you recommend avoiding a lease if I can?
Old 06-17-2016, 05:59 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

If it is about getting the most car for the least amount of payment, then lease. Buy the car and you still have something to drive when it is paid off. Just a choice. At the end of the day you are the only one who needs to make the decision regarding how you spend your own money. Leasing grants a greater tax deduction if you can write it off.
Old 06-25-2016, 01:32 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

My S7's birthday is around the corner and I couldn't be happier haven't chosen her (7K miles now). After the test drive with sport exhaust and suspension, the choice was clear. 95% of the time it's in S mode, the backfires makes me smile every time, especially when i least expect it (giddy). You're not going to get that from the Tesla.

And, there are so many MBs and Teslas around our neighborhood, but only a two S7 in town! I've gotten so many head turns and compliments.

Specs: Black, luna interior, carbon, sport exhaust, sports diff, driver assist package.

Old 06-26-2016, 05:42 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by ncq7
My S7's birthday is around the corner and I couldn't be happier haven't chosen her (7K miles now). After the test drive with sport exhaust and suspension, the choice was clear. 95% of the time it's in S mode, the backfires makes me smile every time, especially when i least expect it (giddy). You're not going to get that from the Tesla.

And, there are so many MBs and Teslas around our neighborhood, but only a two S7 in town! I've gotten so many head turns and compliments.

Specs: Black, luna interior, carbon, sport exhaust, sports diff, driver assist package.

Sweet. Mine looks similar but I don't have black optic,
Old 06-26-2016, 06:16 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Not sure how you plan to use the car...

… but from a performance standpoint, Tesla's are quite amazing demonstrations, but continuous hard use severely reduces range and capacity. All electric propulsion systems are really susceptible to "heat soak". In everyday use, they are fantastic, but the performance reduction associated with continuous hard use in electric motors is still one of the areas for technological improvement (as we are stuck with the laws of physics). Gasoline engines are not immune either. In the canyons on a hot day, my RS5 is noticeably slower after 100 miles of hard running (whoever, the handling is soooo good). Now, if this were a "race" car, I could add additional cooling, etc. and sort it out.

That all being said, most folks will not encounter this issue and I am eager to have a Tesla at some point (I live in Hawthorne, CA for goodness sakes - their headquarters). However, I am not in the financial position to lease an expensive car that needs a stand-in for the weekend fun. My wife is a canyon clown as well, so her daily driver needs to be a mountain weapon as well. I almost bought a 2015 Z/28 for $40K as the Sunday car, in which case all bets are off and the Tesla can be back on the list…

Happy Choosing

Eric
Old 07-03-2016, 07:23 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have a '15 S7 purchased in August '14. Phantom Black, Black Comfort Seats, Black Optic, and all other options except B&O sound.

At the time, I cross-shopped the P85 (before Tesla's had AWD).

I chose the S7 for a few key reasons:

- range anxiety - I was worried about road trips (NJ to OBX)
- interior fit & finish (night and day different, with advantage to Audi)
- all weather ability (Quattro + winter tires seemed a better option than Tesla on winters)
- styling - I prefer the S7, esp. w/ Black Optic, and I hated the old Tesla nose cone
- value for money - $90k S7 vs. $107k Model S

I've had the S7 for almost 2 years and 45,000 miles, and have never regretted my decision. The Tesla's amazing off the line pull almost tipped me over the edge, and its infotainment is much nicer. I also love the panoramic roof.

It would be a harder decision today now that Tesla's have improved seats, AWD, and a new nose, which I much prefer to the old one. Plus, the Supercharger in Salisbury, MD would have alleviated my NJ to OBX range worries for the most part.
Old 07-03-2016, 09:24 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Pabla
Being the owner off a 2013 S7 and a 2014 Tesla p85 (both pretty much fully loaded) there's some great things to be said about the cars. Here's a comparison of the cars:

Audi
•Taking corners the renowned Audi understeer is present in the beginning of the turn but with a little power it's all corrected thanks to the rear diff
I hated the under steer on my A6 setup.
For what it's worth, depending on how brave you are to modify a warrantied purchase or leased car...I upgraded to an adjustable sway bar kit and it is like day and night. My under steer turned into over steer. Handles incredibly well now.

Since then... switched out to Koni sport shocks with Eibach springs for firmer lowered ride and had to back out sway bar stifness due to more increased oversteer. For daily driver I love what my car can do. I can take tight highway curves rated at 35mph at 70mph with full confidence and comfort of how the car feels.

Granted... I have RS7 size tires now.

Last edited by IknowHuhA6; 07-03-2016 at 09:26 PM.