Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Radio turns on at loud volume

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2011, 02:57 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Radio turns on at loud volume

Hi All, this has happened to me twice since taking delivery of our Q5 Premium+ unit a months ago. When I turned on the car, the radio was on and at 100% volume. I immediately tried to turn down the volume but turning the button didn't doo anything. Finally I pressed down on the button and it muted. The sound was deafening.
Tried to turn the radio volume on again and it went right to max volume. Nothing seems to work, but if I turn off the car and then try it a few hours later, everything is back to normal.

Anhyone else having this problem?
Thanks in advance.
The following users liked this post:
ckrichard (02-01-2022)
Old 10-03-2011, 03:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Where are you reading the "100% volume"?
I have yet to find a place to read what level I am at in mine.
Old 10-03-2011, 04:09 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Which source ?
Sirius, am, or fm ?

Even though we don't listen to Sirius very much, we've found that when we do, overhead structures like steel bridges, low power lines will create a volume distortion momentarily....

Maybe you are in a parking garage and that enhances the antennae ?!?

could that be it ? we've never experienced that except on Sirius... good luck
Old 10-03-2011, 07:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by loscoz
Where are you reading the "100% volume"?
I have yet to find a place to read what level I am at in mine.
I second this query, how do you know that you're at 100%? I play music really damn loud, so 100% would be deafening. If you mean it comes on really loud, I think the car resumes what the volume was when you turned the car off - if you listen to music louder and louder and louder, then park your car for the night, and return to it droopy eyed, coffee in hand ready for work or hungover not wanting loud noises, and then the radio resumes at your crazy volume level, that might be your problem.

However, if you leave your car with the volume low, and it starts up at a crazy volume, I'd take that to Audi and scare the hell out of the service guy - then they'll get serious about fixing it.

If it's something that you can't reproduce, and it just likes to happen when you least expect it, then I believe your car may be haunted, and you should seek immediate exorcism
Old 10-03-2011, 07:03 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

We have an '09 and it does not matter what volume you turn it off on it comes back on at a preset loud volume and we can find no way to alter it...
Old 10-04-2011, 04:38 AM
Terlonz

Received 272 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by timhayden
We have an '09 and it does not matter what volume you turn it off on it comes back on at a preset loud volume and we can find no way to alter it...
The pre-set "on" volume can be adjusted via the MMI. Or at least it can on my 2011 A4.
Old 10-04-2011, 05:46 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by BirdmanQ5
If it's something that you can't reproduce, and it just likes to happen when you least expect it, then I believe your car may be haunted, and you should seek immediate exorcism
LOL!! Awesome response
Old 10-10-2011, 03:36 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can't actually tell it's at 100% but it's loud enough that you couldn't stay in the car, and the speakers were crackling. No one else has experienced this?
Old 12-08-2014, 02:08 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default how did you fix this?

Hi this just happened to me!...Loud distorted sound. Wondering how you got this fixed. Thanks
Old 12-09-2014, 12:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Mine is the opposite way, every time I turn on the car it only give me volume level at "10" and I need to bring it up to at least "15" for enjoyment and sometime "18" if I really want the next car to hear it too.

Quick Reply: Radio turns on at loud volume