A4 allroad (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 allroad quattro 2017-

Anyone test drive the B9 Allroad and A4?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2016, 06:24 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 81 Likes on 61 Posts
Default Anyone test drive the B9 Allroad and A4?

I have my doubts, but if anyone test drove the two I would like to hear your comparisons. Specifically, whether the Allroad drives as well as the A4. We love our A4, and the Allroad may be our next car if it is as fast and handles as well as the A4.
Old 10-16-2016, 06:29 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 234 Likes on 171 Posts

They're the same, but drive differently because the Allroad has the adaptive suspension standard. In comfort, the Allroad is smoother than the A4, but in dynamic it is pretty similar in ride to an A4 with sport suspension.
Old 10-17-2016, 09:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SYMAWD
They're the same, but drive differently because the Allroad has the adaptive suspension standard. In comfort, the Allroad is smoother than the A4, but in dynamic it is pretty similar in ride to an A4 with sport suspension.
Does the adaptive suspension really make that big of a difference? Personally never driven a vehicle with it before.
Old 10-17-2016, 10:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 234 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by Q-Branch
Does the adaptive suspension really make that big of a difference? Personally never driven a vehicle with it before.
Yes, you can feel the difference especially if you go from comfort to dynamic.
Old 10-17-2016, 10:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Interesting. Will have to make sure I try that out when I test drive one. Haven't dealt with the dealer in my area before since I just relocated, so hopefully they have a model with that available for me to try.
Old 10-17-2016, 11:11 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts

I will add that I will definitely look for this feature in future vehicles. I have a 2015 S3 with adaptive suspension. With the low profile tires and suspension setting on "auto" or "dynamic" mode for the suspension, the ride can be brutal on rough roads.

Recently I adjusted my "individual" mode in drive select to have steering on "dynamic", while suspension on "comfort". I am enjoying my vehicle again.

This shows somewhat the value of having adaptive suspension along with drive select to make your vehicle perform more suited to your style.
Old 10-17-2016, 11:25 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by DennisMitchell
I will add that I will definitely look for this feature in future vehicles. I have a 2015 S3 with adaptive suspension. With the low profile tires and suspension setting on "auto" or "dynamic" mode for the suspension, the ride can be brutal on rough roads.

Recently I adjusted my "individual" mode in drive select to have steering on "dynamic", while suspension on "comfort". I am enjoying my vehicle again.

This shows somewhat the value of having adaptive suspension along with drive select to make your vehicle perform more suited to your style.
I didn't get it on my Q5 because it didn't seem that interesting (and would've required going S-Line in 2014 for a sizable cost), but my wife's Golf R has DCC (dynamic chassis control, the VW name for Drive Select) and it's definitely great being able to tweak the responsiveness of various things and tighten or loosen up responses as you individually prefer (she runs with most everything in dynamic, including the suspension).

I'd definitely be looking a little harder at it in whatever I end up in next (which could be sooner rather than later depending on what comes out of the TDI mess).
Old 10-17-2016, 11:39 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

dseag2, how often do you change cars?

I had an allroad from the dealer this past weekend. The car is quite impressive, and I would say the ride in comfort is like a Buick, with a feeliing of wallow and cush, while the dynamic is much more engaging, but not as harsh as our 2011 with 18's and standard suspension, although more like my 2002 comfort version. I contribute it to the taller section tires as well - and Continentals not Pirelli tires.

One thing strange that I noticed, on one particular freeway, at 70 mph, then accelerating hard, the car would drift left and head to the left lane. This on both sides of the drain angles of the roadway - meaning if the tilt was on the right, the car would still pull to the left under acceleration. Didn't do this on all roads though....YMMV.

I am super impressed with the dynamics of the machine - meaning the actual car. I could only find fault with two things, that pull and the continued throttle lag (not turbo lag-but the electronic lag from pedal to ETB) in all modes including dynamic and off road. The car will also not allow LFB, which is disappointing, but perhaps it is still driveable in the snow.

It is the overall price that I still have to wrap my head around....I have to overcome...have to overcome...
Old 10-17-2016, 05:39 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by steveracer
dseag2, how often do you change cars?

I had an allroad from the dealer this past weekend. The car is quite impressive, and I would say the ride in comfort is like a Buick, with a feeliing of wallow and cush, while the dynamic is much more engaging, but not as harsh as our 2011 with 18's and standard suspension, although more like my 2002 comfort version. I contribute it to the taller section tires as well - and Continentals not Pirelli tires.

One thing strange that I noticed, on one particular freeway, at 70 mph, then accelerating hard, the car would drift left and head to the left lane. This on both sides of the drain angles of the roadway - meaning if the tilt was on the right, the car would still pull to the left under acceleration. Didn't do this on all roads though....YMMV.

I am super impressed with the dynamics of the machine - meaning the actual car. I could only find fault with two things, that pull and the continued throttle lag (not turbo lag-but the electronic lag from pedal to ETB) in all modes including dynamic and off road. The car will also not allow LFB, which is disappointing, but perhaps it is still driveable in the snow.

It is the overall price that I still have to wrap my head around....I have to overcome...have to overcome...
I change cars pretty often, but I kept my '13 Lexus GS S Sport for almost 3 years. Traded that for a 2-year lease on an '15 S5 and turned that in 3 months early for the A4. We've had our '13 G37 Vert for almost 3 years and will turn it in at the end of our 39 month lease, most likely for another Audi. The '16 Honda Accord is a car I leased for my cousin who moved to TX to take care of my mother. That stays at her house.

Sounds like the Allroad is a great car, but I'm a bit concerned about the lag. A tug on the shifter in the A4 to put the car in Sport and there is no lag at all. I will definitely test drive the Allroad. It is a good-looking car, and I like owning something rare.
Old 10-17-2016, 05:41 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Thanks for the input!

Quick Reply: Anyone test drive the B9 Allroad and A4?