Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

What roof cargo box do you have?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2016, 10:18 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Default What roof cargo box do you have?

I'm looking into purchasing a roofbox for my Q7 for extra storage. Which roofbox (brand, model, size) do some of you have on your Q7s? I'm strongly considering the Thule Sonic XXL, but I worry the XXL might be to large for the Q7.

Also, how is the Q7's fuel economy effected because of the roofbox? Wind noise?
Old 11-26-2016, 01:50 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by D3Audi
I'm looking into purchasing a roofbox for my Q7 for extra storage. Which roofbox (brand, model, size) do some of you have on your Q7s? I'm strongly considering the Thule Sonic XXL, but I worry the XXL might be to large for the Q7.

Also, how is the Q7's fuel economy effected because of the roofbox? Wind noise?
I went with the Thule Sonic XXL... It works great and holds a ton of Kiteboarding gear. Haven't had issues with noise. I can't say I have gone far enough to figure out MPG's.

One bummer. I went with the fancy "AeroBlade" cross bars. Bummer is that I wanted extra extra wide cross bars (to be able to hold a board next to the box), but the underside slot wouldn't allow use on the Q7. I wanted the 60", but ended up with the 53" crossbars - a little wider than thule's suggested 43... but...
Old 11-26-2016, 02:20 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

got a thule xl. fantastic box. noticed absolutely no loss in mpg's but i have a tdi. EFFFFFFFF UUUUUUUUU volkswagen! im off my soap box now.

Thule is $$$$, but awesome. really worth price
Old 11-27-2016, 06:19 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by a4avant-ti
I went with the Thule Sonic XXL... It works great and holds a ton of Kiteboarding gear. Haven't had issues with noise. I can't say I have gone far enough to figure out MPG's.

One bummer. I went with the fancy "AeroBlade" cross bars. Bummer is that I wanted extra extra wide cross bars (to be able to hold a board next to the box), but the underside slot wouldn't allow use on the Q7. I wanted the 60", but ended up with the 53" crossbars - a little wider than thule's suggested 43... but...
Do you have any pictures of it mounted on the Q7? I take it the XXL is very wide and long. Does it stick off of the front as well so it can clear the tailgate?
Old 11-27-2016, 06:23 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Et28634
got a thule xl. fantastic box. noticed absolutely no loss in mpg's but i have a tdi. EFFFFFFFF UUUUUUUUU volkswagen! im off my soap box now.

Thule is $$$$, but awesome. really worth price
That's what I'm thinking. There are cheaper boxes out there, but I want something with great aero dynamics so my fuel economy isn't too impacted. My 4.2 already averages 13.8mpg so I don't want that to go down anymore haha. TDI is a good engine, I still wish I spent a bit more money and bought a TDI instead, even though the earlier models are being bought back now.
Old 11-27-2016, 06:34 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

That's what I'm thinking. There are cheaper boxes out there, but I want something with great aero dynamics so my fuel economy isn't too impacted. My 4.2 already averages 13.8mpg so I don't want that to go down anymore haha. TDI is a good engine, I still wish I spent a bit more money and bought a TDI instead, even though the earlier models are being bought back now.
Ours is a '15, so it seems VAG can "fix" ours. No thanks, I love it the way it is. The TDI is an amzing engine, and we are just extremely happy with it. I wish i could give you an apples to apples answer on the box and MPG, but I dont think you'll be disappointed with the Thule. It is a great product.
Old 11-27-2016, 07:11 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Et28634
Ours is a '15, so it seems VAG can "fix" ours. No thanks, I love it the way it is. The TDI is an amzing engine, and we are just extremely happy with it. I wish i could give you an apples to apples answer on the box and MPG, but I dont think you'll be disappointed with the Thule. It is a great product.
Yes, fortunately yours isn't required to be bought back. Thule is Swedish so I expect nothing but quality. How is the XL on the Q7? Does it appear narrow from the front or behind? That's my only reason I'm leaning towards the XXL. Any pictures of the XL? The sonic seems to be a popular roof box because of its sleek design, but there's not many pictures out there of it mounted on Q7s
Old 11-28-2016, 11:04 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Thule is Swedish so I expect nothing but quality.
Let's hope they can maintain "Swedish" quality if they ever get bought by the Chinese...

Grey
Old 11-29-2016, 04:42 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Sorry D3, but i dont have any pics mounted. Currently, i just have the blades mounted on the vehicle. i guess perception of appearance is subjective, but i didnt think the box looked at all disproportionate on the vehicle. i say drive down to REI, or some other friendly retailer and have them put it on your car before you purchase it.
Old 11-29-2016, 08:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

I occasionally have an Inno on mine for the lower profile. I have a 7' garage door so the usual suspects won't make it. It's not on right now so can't send a picture. It works well with the roof profile though.