RS 7 Discussion forum for the Audi RS 7

Ride comfort question

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2016, 01:20 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ride comfort question

Hello all. Im new to the forum. I'm planning on ordering a 2017 RS7 and want to be sure about ride comfort. I'm not planning to track it and it will be my daily driver. I don't mind a softer ride and don't want to be bounced around, but want to take it out for fun drives on curvy roads. I want an awesome/fast/bad *** car and have had my on it for years now. I just want to make sure that with the air suspension and 21s it won't feel every bump and throw me, or more importantly, the wife, around. I drove an S6 with 20s and air suspension b/c that's all they had at the South Austin dealer. He said the ride on the 21s is not much different.

Any my thoughts would be much appreciated. Thanks

dj
Old 12-03-2016, 02:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Djeffr:

I drive a 2014 RS7 on 20s with air suspension. It, too, is my daily driver. I have put 20k miles on it driving between Atlanta and NJ as well as vacations with my wife plus the usual daily commute miles. We have no complaints about ride comfort.

Enjoy your RS7 - it is the best car I have ever owned.
Old 12-03-2016, 05:12 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

From an availability standpoint, there aren't many 21" tires on the market. P-Zero is about it, and I barely got 15,000 miles on my SQ5. 20" tires have many more choices for less $$. Something to consider?
Old 12-03-2016, 10:37 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by SQQQQQ
From an availability standpoint, there aren't many 21" tires on the market. P-Zero is about it, and I barely got 15,000 miles on my SQ5. 20" tires have many more choices for less $$. Something to consider?
good thought. I just love how the 21s look. Gotta consider the $ though. Thanks.
Old 12-04-2016, 04:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

SQQQQQ makes a good point. While tire protection plans are available from Audi, the 20s are less subject to damage from pot holes and other road debris than 21s. I live north of Atlanta and the roads in the county are not sufficiently well maintained to make 21s economical. My two cents. Djeffr is also right, IMHO, that the 21s look better.
Old 12-04-2016, 06:22 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

The 21's will transmit a little more back to you than 20's. I had a '14 with 20's ( 12k miles) and now have a '15 with 21's, and can notice the difference.

As for the complete ride, it still is a great drive. In comfort mode, it is absolutely fine (not A8 or Lexus LS supple, but I assume that's not the type of ride you were looking for).

I just moved from Iowa to Pennsylvania- drive the car out, and was not fatigued nor jarred in any way.

Very good ride for this type of machine.

Steve
Old 12-04-2016, 10:48 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by WuMu-tien
Djeffr:

I drive a 2014 RS7 on 20s with air suspension. It, too, is my daily driver. I have put 20k miles on it driving between Atlanta and NJ as well as vacations with my wife plus the usual daily commute miles. We have no complaints about ride comfort.

Enjoy your RS7 - it is the best car I have ever owned.
got any pix to share??

dj
Old 12-04-2016, 10:51 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by WuMu-tien
SQQQQQ makes a good point. While tire protection plans are available from Audi, the 20s are less subject to damage from pot holes and other road debris than 21s. I live north of Atlanta and the roads in the county are not sufficiently well maintained to make 21s economical. My two cents. Djeffr is also right, IMHO, that the 21s look better.
I've been thinking about the damage and reading about the tire wear on the 21s. I think the 20s for the 2017 would look just fine to me if I didn't know the 21 style existed! I'm thinking of trying to love the 20s and go for a little more comfort and tire longevity. Thanks!

dj
Old 12-04-2016, 10:53 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by IAS5
The 21's will transmit a little more back to you than 20's. I had a '14 with 20's ( 12k miles) and now have a '15 with 21's, and can notice the difference.

As for the complete ride, it still is a great drive. In comfort mode, it is absolutely fine (not A8 or Lexus LS supple, but I assume that's not the type of ride you were looking for).

I just moved from Iowa to Pennsylvania- drive the car out, and was not fatigued nor jarred in any way.

Very good ride for this type of machine.

Steve
Thanks for the reply. I'm leaning towards the comfort and less road noise more and more. Nice to hear someone who has compared the two. Thanks!

dj
Old 12-05-2016, 08:25 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 102 Likes on 81 Posts

I have a 2016 S7 on 20" wheels and find that it is a great daily driver. I had a loaner A7 for about a month while waiting for the S7 to arrive and it was much harsher. My wife was pretty nervous about how the S7 would be after riding in the A7, but it is so much smoother. The adaptive air suspension is much better than the steel springs of the A7.