A7 Discussion forum for the Audi A7

2016 A7 feels so stiff with regular dynamic suspension

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2016, 03:37 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2016 A7 feels so stiff with regular dynamic suspension

Hi guys, I have purchased 2016 A7 with 4K on the clock. 200 kw quattro Drive. Car doesn't have a air suspension. Just regular dynamic spring suspension. The wheels are 255/45/r18. I can feel every small bump on the road. I would say that the suspension doesn't absorb anything even with these 45 wheels profile. I can not imagine how the comfort ride would be with 19inch wheels. Does anybody have a same feeling with regular spring suspensions?
My previous car was a Lexus LS430 and I have heard that Germans car are little stiffer but did not expect that huge difference.
Old 12-18-2016, 05:08 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 85 Likes on 51 Posts

Amazing ride with 20" wheels on my 2014 A7.

What tires and are you sure they are inflated properly? Overinflated tires will make the ride harsh.
Old 12-18-2016, 06:02 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

No kidding. You have a 20" wheels with regular spring suspension?
It is not about tire pressure what I have already changed to proper Numbers. There are still original Bridgestones.
If your ride is comfortable with 20" wheels there must be any more springs options and I must have another ones.
Old 12-18-2016, 06:13 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 85 Likes on 51 Posts

I do have the Sport Suspension but that just lowers the ride and has stiffer springs. I'm riding on Pirelli P-Zero tires.
Old 12-18-2016, 06:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Ride comfort is very subjective and depends on what you are used to. European cars are generally strung tighter for better handling. The A6/7 with either the standard or sport suspension on 19" or 20" to me rides like on clouds. In fact they are too soft for me. I've driven several as loaners, but my daily driver is an RS5 with 20" wheels and much much tighter suspension. It's all relative. Coming from a floaty Lexus I can see how the ride of an Audi might be too harsh for you, unless it has air suspension, but for that you need to step up to the S7. Did you not test drive the car on roads you typically drive to see if it suits you?
Old 12-18-2016, 07:04 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

That's strange. Based on what your are saying I couldn't feel every small roughness on the road and do not bounce myself inside the car. Isn't it any manual setting which dealer could make on every shock-absorber? I have rented 2015 Audi A6 with air and there is a big different. My A7 feels very stiff when turn into the curve and it doesn't incline too much.
Old 12-18-2016, 07:26 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Dealer usually fills the tires with much more air when they park the cars. So When I tested this car at the dealer I have thought that this is a reason and car gets little softer when proper tire pressure. Not really.
Old 12-18-2016, 07:36 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hi Superswiss..

Originally Posted by superswiss
Ride comfort is very subjective and depends on what you are used to. European cars are generally strung tighter for better handling. The A6/7 with either the standard or sport suspension on 19" or 20" to me rides like on clouds. In fact they are too soft for me. I've driven several as loaners, but my daily driver is an RS5 with 20" wheels and much much tighter suspension. It's all relative. Coming from a floaty Lexus I can see how the ride of an Audi might be too harsh for you, unless it has air suspension, but for that you need to step up to the S7. Did you not test drive the car on roads you typically drive to see if it suits you?
… we RS5 drivers have a pretty high tolerance for pain ;-)

I love the way my car rides, but my wife and most friends prefer the S4 unless we are charging the canyons. I recently had surgery and had to switch cars with my wife for a while until everything healed…

Happy Holidays

eric
Old 12-18-2016, 08:05 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Zdenog
That's strange. Based on what your are saying I couldn't feel every small roughness on the road and do not bounce myself inside the car. Isn't it any manual setting which dealer could make on every shock-absorber? I have rented 2015 Audi A6 with air and there is a big different. My A7 feels very stiff when turn into the curve and it doesn't incline too much.
Where have you rented an A6 with air suspension? From your profile, it looks like you are located in the US. Air suspension is not an option on the US spec A6 or A7. If you have rented one outside of the US, then you've also probably driven it on much smoother roads. If you bought your car new, I would say the dealer forgot to take out the shipping blocks, but if I read your post correctly, you bought used, so I doubt the previous owner was driving around with the shipping blocks still in there. With a non adjustable steel suspension, you will generally feel road imperfections and bounce around a little bit. That's the nature of the beast and to some that's desired. If that's not what you like then you need to buy a car with adaptive air suspension, so you can adjust the comfort level and the suspension can actively iron out road imperfections. I know very little about Lexus, but I assume the LS has air suspension nowadays. Regarding tire pressure, check your manual. The tire pressure on the door sticker is the max load pressure intended only for when the car is full with passengers and luggage. In the owners manual, you will find lower tire pressures for normal load, which is intended for daily driving when you don't have the car fully loaded.

Originally Posted by eric strauss
… we RS5 drivers have a pretty high tolerance for pain ;-)

I love the way my car rides, but my wife and most friends prefer the S4 unless we are charging the canyons. I recently had surgery and had to switch cars with my wife for a while until everything healed…

Happy Holidays

eric
Yeah, that's probably true to some extent, but my wife doesn't complain, nor have any of my passengers ever. I've done 12 hours road trips in the RS5 and loved every mile of it. My wife used to complain in my previous S4 when she had to sit in the back. It's rougher sitting directly on the rear axle, but as long as she sat in the front, she never complained. I keep tire pressure at normal load, for daily driving and I just put on a set of Michelin Pilot Super Sports, now that our size is finally in stock again. They actually made a noticeable difference and I only had them for 2 days so far. Much sharper turn in, but also a more comfortable ride. Quite interesting. Once they are broken in, I have to see how the car runs in the canyons with these new shoes. I've had the PSS on my S4 before, so I've always like them, but I'm curious how they compare to the P Zero in the canyons now that I can do a direct comparison.
Old 12-18-2016, 08:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Just another question regarding your tires. What exact tires do you have? Are they summer, winter or all-season tires. The rubber gets harder at low temperatures, especially with summer tires. Winter tires have a different rubber compound, but all-season tires also get hard when it's really cold.

Quick Reply: 2016 A7 feels so stiff with regular dynamic suspension