A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Drivetrain drone/vibration.

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2017, 06:10 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drivetrain drone/vibration.

I know there are couple of other threads with similar vibration issues but after reading them my issue is different than what the others are experiencing.

So I wanna start saying by this is my sixth Audi so I'm no stranger to the way they drive. In fact I still have my 2014 in my garage (waiting for the lease return inspection.)

Got my 2017 A4 with front wheel drive last Tuesday evening with 30 miles on the clock, and next day while driving to work about 15 miles away felt this weird vibration/ drone. I don't know if any of experienced rear wheel or all wheel drive car out of balance drive shaft, but the feeling is basically is just that. So this car being a front wheel drive it shouldn't have that kind of drone.

I also like the add that it is definitely not an out of balance tire issue because car drives smooth as butter. It starts just above 50mph and stays regardless of the speed. I went up to 85mph and it was stil there. Feeling didn't change it was just this annoying drone.
So the long story short took the car back to the service and dropped it off for them to do a PDI and find out the source of the vibration.
I've been working with the same dealership and the service advisers since I had my first 2000 Audi A6 so there is no questioning my complaint. Lol.

As of now car is still in the shop and I will update this thread as soon as the solution becomes available for the future references.

Also like to add that there are a few things that has gotten worse as far as the quality or the function wise.

First, basic stereo...it is just awful! My 2014 with also basic stereo craps on my 2017. Hell! The basic Q3 loaner I have had ten times better sound.
Second, homelink. It is horrible! Takes about a minute and driving back and forth in front of my garage to get it work.
Third, the back up camera. While I like the wide angle look it has lines in the picture like I'm looking at the screen through camera view finder.
Service adviser said they can't really help the homelink or the camera image they are gonna check the stereo.

Ok long post is over. Lol.
Old 01-01-2017, 06:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

I've been driving for 25 years and consider myself a seasoned driver. I can parallel park and reverse park in one efficient try 19 out of 20 times. With the A4, I'm less successful and I attribute it to the small side mirrors (only one reverse tilts) and the 360 backup camera images. What appears parallel on the sides and perpendicular at the rear in the images does not translate into how I've really parked which is often slightly crooked.
Maybe a camera is not properly aligned... or perhaps I just need to park crooked in the image so the car is actually straight !

Agree with the bad sound quality of the base sound system. Worst I've heard in years regardless of brand. Shame on me for not testing it prior...

No issues with my homelink, works every time without issue.

As for the drone/vibration, the only feedback I can provide is that on my fwd A4, it happens between 45-70 mph, in high gear under moderate throttle input. I got it checked out and the SA said it's normal from the DSG in 7th gear.

Last edited by corradoMR2; 01-01-2017 at 06:43 PM.
Old 01-01-2017, 08:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

I haven't faced the drone issue (mine is a Quattro)

I haven't used the home link in any of my cars ever. I have around 5 remotes for my garage and I use them in my cars.

I haven't listened to the base system but it seems like it really is bad (reading all those reviews on the base system out there).

Regarding the camera. Yes. It takes getting used to because of the wide angle view. But once you get used to it, you realise it's a better system than the non wide angle ones since you can see more, especially when you are backing out in parking lots (you can see more of the sides compared to the normal view in other cars).

And yes. The orvms are a bit too small. They could've made it bigger but I guess they did it for better aerodynamics. Our loss maybe.
Old 01-01-2017, 09:12 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
I've been driving for 25 years and consider myself a seasoned driver. I can parallel park and reverse park in one efficient try 19 out of 20 times. With the A4, I'm less successful and I attribute it to the small side mirrors (only one reverse tilts) and the 360 backup camera images. What appears parallel on the sides and perpendicular at the rear in the images does not translate into how I've really parked which is often slightly crooked.
Maybe a camera is not properly aligned... or perhaps I just need to park crooked in the image so the car is actually straight !

Agree with the bad sound quality of the base sound system. Worst I've heard in years regardless of brand. Shame on me for not testing it prior...

No issues with my homelink, works every time without issue.

As for the drone/vibration, the only feedback I can provide is that on my fwd A4, it happens between 45-70 mph, in high gear under moderate throttle input. I got it checked out and the SA said it's normal from the DSG in 7th gear.
I have no problem parking the car. I'm talking about the image quality. I guess the better way to explaining is, you know how the LED lights flicker when you see them in videos? It's kind of like that. I mean it's not as bad or noticeable but it doesn't have the crisp clear picture I'm used to.

When it comes to the drone...your SA is full of crap. I had a 2012 VW CC with DSG and it was smooth as it can be. I had 2017 A4 as a loner for two days a few moths back when I had mine in for some service and it was super smooth. That was was the deciding factor over the A6. It drove as smooth as the A6 and its lighter with the same engine transmission combo.

Originally Posted by VipinLJ
I haven't faced the drone issue (mine is a Quattro)

I haven't used the home link in any of my cars ever. I have around 5 remotes for my garage and I use them in my cars.

I haven't listened to the base system but it seems like it really is bad (reading all those reviews on the base system out there).

Regarding the camera. Yes. It takes getting used to because of the wide angle view. But once you get used to it, you realise it's a better system than the non wide angle ones since you can see more, especially when you are backing out in parking lots (you can see more of the sides compared to the normal view in other cars).

And yes. The orvms are a bit too small. They could've made it bigger but I guess they did it for better aerodynamics. Our loss maybe.
Yeah I set the homelink in every one of the previous ones I had and this is the first time having issue with it.
Like I stated above it's not the wide angle issue. It's the image quality issue. I do professional photography I know wide angle. Lol.

After getting the car from the service I'll be looking for some after market stereo help.
Old 01-01-2017, 09:16 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Oh okay. Many people have issues with adjusting to the wide angle, including my wife. She still finds it odd though I like this view better. I haven't noticed any flickering. And the screen quality looks decent compared to the other cars I own but yes. I remember reading a thread saying Audis don't have the best cameras and even Jeeps and Dodges are better.
Old 01-04-2017, 11:01 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

My camera seems to project the image quality fine, but I took it in around my second week of ownership because of the 'banding' (lines that float up and down the screen) issues I was experiencing. The tech who checked out my car said everything was within manufactures spec on my vehicle, which I found strange.

Honestly I think it's from ****ty wiring. If the magnetic shielding was better that shouldn't be happening. It looks more like signal interference to me than anything else but still bugs the crap out of me.
Old 01-04-2017, 01:07 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by mdwcreative
My camera seems to project the image quality fine, but I took it in around my second week of ownership because of the 'banding' (lines that float up and down the screen) issues I was experiencing. The tech who checked out my car said everything was within manufactures spec on my vehicle, which I found strange.

Honestly I think it's from ****ty wiring. If the magnetic shielding was better that shouldn't be happening. It looks more like signal interference to me than anything else but still bugs the crap out of me.
I guess besides the stereo crappy wiring is another cost cutting attempt by Audi. Lol.
Old 01-04-2017, 01:12 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Update!
So I stopped in yesterday to talk to my SA and tech to see what the status is. Tech said during the test drive he felt the drone/vibration so he was gonna start with putting the tires on the balance machine and see if any one of them is out of balance. Well...since I haven't heard back from them I'm guessing it is not the out of balance tire issue because balancing tires doesn't take two days. Lol.
I'll update as soon as I hear back.
P.S. By the way car has been in the shop since last Thursday. Because of the holidays they couldn't get to it until yesterday.
Old 01-04-2017, 01:41 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Many_audis
Update!
So I stopped in yesterday to talk to my SA and tech to see what the status is. Tech said during the test drive he felt the drone/vibration so he was gonna start with putting the tires on the balance machine and see if any one of them is out of balance. Well...since I haven't heard back from them I'm guessing it is not the out of balance tire issue because balancing tires doesn't take two days. Lol.
I'll update as soon as I hear back.
P.S. By the way car has been in the shop since last Thursday. Because of the holidays they couldn't get to it until yesterday.
OT but do they give loaners when your car goes in for such long durations?

Also, wonder why they don't proactively let you know what's up.
Old 01-04-2017, 01:59 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by VipinLJ
OT but do they give loaners when your car goes in for such long durations?

Also, wonder why they don't proactively let you know what's up.
Yup I have a 2017 Q3 as a loaner. I also still have my 2014 and I have my fully Off Road build Jeep Grand Cherokee in my garage. I think they don't keep me post with the updates because I've been with them since 2000 and at this point me and my SA is kind friends so I'm sure you know how that goes.
In a side note they have a brand new Q7 in their loaner fleet if they keep my car longer I might ask for it for a few days.

Quick Reply: Drivetrain drone/vibration.