A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Home link / LiftMaster Problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2017, 07:01 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Home link / LiftMaster Problem

Hello all,

On my A4 when I press the home link button to open the garage door I need to be right up against the door for it to work, on my 17 Q7 I can open the door from my neighbors driveway 250' away! While I don't need or expect that on my A4 I'd like to know if others are experiencing this issue or should I visit the dealer? I've erased the program and reprogrammed it 2 times and there is no change, any ideas? The garage door openers are a little over a year old.
Old 01-15-2017, 07:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Usually I have to be in the driveway for mine to work, and I have a relatively short driveway (can hold about 1.5 car lengths). Also have a Liftmaster.
Old 01-15-2017, 12:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I have great range on mine. It easily activates the garage door as I am on my street approaching the driveway. I have a metal, windowless garage door and a 20 year old Craftsman (Chamberlain) unit.

I'm trying to hang on to this old opener as long as I can. No connectivity problems and it works great. It has quit on me once, about 3 years ago, but I was able to breathe new life into it be rebuilding the gear drive in it. Amazon sells a rebuild kit for $20. Saved me from having to replace it.

Last edited by Dave W; 01-15-2017 at 01:13 PM.
Old 01-15-2017, 02:52 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 20 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Eppieguy
Hello all,

On my A4 when I press the home link button to open the garage door I need to be right up against the door for it to work, on my 17 Q7 I can open the door from my neighbors driveway 250' away! While I don't need or expect that on my A4 I'd like to know if others are experiencing this issue or should I visit the dealer? I've erased the program and reprogrammed it 2 times and there is no change, any ideas? The garage door openers are a little over a year old.
You said openers are a year old, are these 2 different units that each car is signaling separately or is the A4 using one and the Q7 using the other. I have an A4 and Q7 and both have an impressive range for the same unit (Genie)
Old 01-15-2017, 05:19 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Mitchfin
You said openers are a year old, are these 2 different units that each car is signaling separately or is the A4 using one and the Q7 using the other. I have an A4 and Q7 and both have an impressive range for the same unit (Genie)
2 identical openers, bought at the same time, Q7 can open either door from a distance, A4 needs to be within 10' of the garage doors. Both vehicles are coded to open either door.
Old 01-15-2017, 05:52 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

2 identical openers, bought at the same time, Q7 can open either door from a distance, A4 needs to be within 10' of the garage doors. Both vehicles are coded to open either door.
Hmmm maybe check the antenna (little wire hanging down) and make sure that it is pointed towards the road
Old 01-15-2017, 06:00 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Checked both of them, both hanging down, same position, but since the Q works both fine and the A doesn't it leads me to believe it's something up with the A. Thinking of extending the antenna wire to see if that would help on the openers.
Old 01-15-2017, 06:06 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

There is a coding option to increase power to the transmitter. I don't know if it would work or not
Old 01-16-2017, 08:18 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts

Thinking of extending the antenna wire to see if that would help on the openers.
I added a few feet to mine and it is now usable from over 80' away. It helps that some of that extension is outside of the door...............
Old 01-16-2017, 09:48 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Dan in St. Louis
I added a few feet to mine and it is now usable from over 80' away. It helps that some of that extension is outside of the door...............
Thanks, Going to try that next.

Quick Reply: Home link / LiftMaster Problem