A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Vibration 68-75 MPH

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2017, 07:47 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vibration 68-75 MPH

I picked up my A4 on Dec 22. On the ride home on the highway, I felt a vibration around 68-75. I immediately contacted the dealership and was set up for a service appointment the following week. The vibration felt like rotational wheel balancing or bad tire issues.

They told me that 2 of the tires were out of balance and gave me the car back in 1 day. I drove it home and it felt a little better but still had a noticeable vibration. I contacted them again and dropped it off for service again. They contacted me and said that they will use "Road Force Balancing" to investigate. They called me and said that 2 of the tires had "flat spots". I asked to have them replaced but the manager said "we have to complete a full procedure before that can happen". He told me that they "re-indexed" the tires on the rims (broke the bead and spun the tire around on the rim to make it balance better). I don't know how that fixes flat spots but they are the experts!... I Picked the car up last Tues and again its slightly better. Now I notice there was some vibration at slower speeds, I can tell now that it's gone! At the 68-75 range, vibration is still there.

Another thought: I read some posts about low RPM bogging vibration emanating from the DSG. The RPM is around 1500 then goes to about 1800 at that speed range. When I let off the pedal, I still feel the vibration (coasting). I had a DSG in my 2012 Jetta TDI, that ran very smoothly. I have always worked on my cars and I'm an Engineer, my gut is telling me it's the tires/wheels.

Has there been any reports of bad batches of tires on the 2017 A4's? Are they prone to flat spotting? Do they have other issues? I now need to make an appointment to go to the dealership during the day (take off from work) so I can drive the car with the service manager. I have a 1000 miles on the car now. I would like to see new (different mfr) tires on the car.

I'm very frustrated and it's ruining my experience buying this very expensive car. I read this forum and hear how smooth this car is... I'm not experiencing it. Even the A4 provided as a loaner (probably the same production run) has some vibration in that zone but none near what I have in my car. You can actually feel your body vibrating in the seat!

The manager was out sick yesterday, I'm about to call him again..

Thanks for any comments or suggestions,

Wayne
Old 01-18-2017, 08:20 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 102 Likes on 86 Posts

Put it in S and drive up to 68-75 MPH to see if you still get vibration. If so, then it's the tires. If not, then that's the low RPM vibration when you drive in D at too low RPM.
My car always has the minor vibration in D when trying to pick up the speed from cruising. Very much like my manual stick shift up too early.

Last edited by minmet; 01-18-2017 at 08:22 AM.
Old 01-18-2017, 09:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

OP, I have the EXACT same issue as you. I took it to the dealer once and all four tires were balanced with the road force machine. It improved the vibration a bit as it did for you, but it's still there. I honestly don't believe it's related to the DSG. I think these Pirelli tires are just horrible.

I'm going to take it to the dealer again next week, and ask them to replace the tires. I'm sick of the vibration feel when commuting every day to/from work; I can feel it in the pedals and my seat. This issue is keeping me from loving my new car.

I'll keep you posted with what the dealer says.
Old 01-18-2017, 10:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like this is related to cars sitting in port for so long (weeks plus) and developing flat spots.
Old 01-18-2017, 12:45 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by AudiD
Sounds like this is related to cars sitting in port for so long (weeks plus) and developing flat spots.
Yup. That makes sense.

Guys with the problem. Have you tried asking your dealer to swap the tyres out and see if it persists.
Old 01-18-2017, 01:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Keep fighting

To the OP. I got my car brand new almost 2 weeks ago on a saturday. First thing I noticed once I drove it home was vibration after 55mph. I waited until monday to call the dealer and schedule service to look at the issue. Got an appointment for the following thursday at 7:30am. By 8:30am the dealer had performed the road force test and determined the tire were bad and had flat spots (Pirelli Cinturato P7 18's) maybe because the car sat at the lot for almost 6 months. Anyways I got a loaner for the day and by 7pm I had my car back with 4 brand new tires replaced by the dealer under warranty (warranty is through Pirelli but they do the paperwork). After that the issue is being resolved 100%. Now I will be selling the tires and wheels since Im upgrading to the 19's OEM. But at the end you gotta fight with the dealer to have the 4 tires replaced.
Old 01-18-2017, 01:57 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

The flat tire issue makes sense and I hope that is what fixes the problem. I would insist on 4 new tires also, if the problem still persists. I'd be terribly disappointed also - as if the A4 is anything, it's smoooooooooooooth.
Old 01-20-2017, 12:00 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default appt Tues for service

Well story continued. I talked to the dealer on Weds. He said that he would discuss with his manager. He called back and told me that "there is a procedure" and he needs my car for "a few days" to finish everything. He told me that the 2nd time I brought it back. Yes its the same Pirelli tires mentioned above. This will be the 3rd time back since 12/22. Its been at the shop for at least a week during that time. Now they want me to wait "a few days" to complete some procedure? Man.. I'm disappointed. The car rides terrible. Seems like it flat spots overnight and every time you drive it its a little different. Top it off, you should have seen the car when I got it back this week. Do they normally wash the car while its in for service? It was totally brown from the road salt and mud while they were road testing it. Insult to injury...
Old 01-20-2017, 12:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Stzomah
Well story continued. I talked to the dealer on Weds. He said that he would discuss with his manager. He called back and told me that "there is a procedure" and he needs my car for "a few days" to finish everything. He told me that the 2nd time I brought it back. Yes its the same Pirelli tires mentioned above. This will be the 3rd time back since 12/22. Its been at the shop for at least a week during that time. Now they want me to wait "a few days" to complete some procedure? Man.. I'm disappointed. The car rides terrible. Seems like it flat spots overnight and every time you drive it its a little different. Top it off, you should have seen the car when I got it back this week. Do they normally wash the car while its in for service? It was totally brown from the road salt and mud while they were road testing it. Insult to injury...
Wow, thats unnaceptable. Can you mention what dealer are you working with? I think your next move is to call corporate like Audi USA and make the complaint. Other thing that you can do is deal directly with Pirelli and the warranty, you should have received paperwork regarding warranty from Pirelli when you got the car the 1st day. Keep us updated.
Old 01-20-2017, 05:21 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Picked up the new A4 on Thanksgiving weekend. Gottland Green. I live in Ct, they found one in Ohio, trucked it to CT. Unless it is Black, White, or Grey, they don't move off the lot. Must have sat for a while. Drove it a half mile and realized the tires weren't round. Brought it back after Thanksgiving weekend and let the shoptech take it for a drive. It had a bad vibration at 38 mph and 65 mph. Told him I thought the tires (Pirelli) were out of round. He said it needs road force balance and will be OK. Went home with a loaner, called me the next day, said the tires were hexagonal shaped. Could not be balanced, so they replaced ALL 4. Been perfect since. I love this car.

Quick Reply: Vibration 68-75 MPH