Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Will these SQ5 Wheels fit my A6?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2017, 01:27 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will these SQ5 Wheels fit my A6?

I'm not a wheel/tire guru so I thought I would ask if these would fit my 2012 A6 3.0T Sport. They're 2017 SQ5 wheels and the rims are 5x112 and the tires are 255/35/20.

Thank you guys!

Last edited by rococo; 01-20-2017 at 03:23 PM.
Old 01-20-2017, 02:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah they'll fit but your gonna need a spacer to clear the brakes.
Old 01-20-2017, 02:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

They're similar but I doubt these are actually SQ5 wheels (21'', 255/40). Looks more like a S6/RS6 wheel design.
Old 01-20-2017, 03:16 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by bonafyd
Yeah they'll fit but your gonna need a spacer to clear the brakes.
That is a good point. I have 245/45 18 on there now. What sized spacer do I need and do you recommend a brand?

Also I just updated that they're actual 255/35 not 255/30

Last edited by rococo; 01-20-2017 at 03:24 PM.
Old 01-20-2017, 03:19 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Ray_QT
They're similar but I doubt these are actually SQ5 wheels (21'', 255/40). Looks more like a S6/RS6 wheel design.
You make a good point they do look just like S6 wheels!
Old 01-20-2017, 04:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by rococo
I'm not a wheel/tire guru so I thought I would ask if these would fit my 2012 A6 3.0T Sport.
The acid test for fitment is to mount one on a front wheel hub. Things to look for is if the center bore is the same. That's what keeps the wheel centered and prevents vibrations.

Caliper clearance comes next. Spin the wheel to see if the spokes and balancing weights clear the caliper. Be aware the the entire caliper moves out when new brake pads are installed - usually around 10 mm.

Last is that the wheel is flat on the hub. It shouldn't rock around on the hub center ring. Sometimes with aftermarket wheels, the center bore is tapered and the wheel doesn't sit flush. Happens sometimes with spacers too.

A spacer is a giant washer with five lugs holes, one center bore hole, sometimes require longer bolts and hold the wheel further away from the hub. I've never had the need to use any and I hope that I never will. I had to use hubcentric rings on my last car and it was one more step to forget and do over.
Old 01-20-2017, 06:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 491 Likes on 335 Posts

They look like a Hartmann "very similar design to OEM" wheel, rather than the OEM 5-twin-spoke-design twisted model which I have never seen used on an SQ5, particularly 2017 production. To my eye, the Hartman spokes look thinner and more angular/less rounded than the real thing.

If so, the Hartmann won't fit as they are 9 x 20" wheels, with an offset of ET29. The correct offset for an A6 with 8.5 x 20" wheels is ET45. The Hartmann wheels would have an effective offset of around ET23 on an A6 (wheel is 12mm wider than OEM).

If they really are SQ5 OEM wheels, then they will be ET33, and will fit without requiring a spacer. They are already 12mm further out, a spacer may cause rubbing. The SQ5 and A6 use a similar brake caliper design - if the wheel clears the brakes on an SQ5, it will clear the brakes on a 3.0TFSI A6.

The offset will be stamped on the wheel. The OP should ask what it is. He should also ask who made the wheel. Audi OEM wheels have the part number stamped on to them. I would not pay the same price for a used third party "OEM style" wheel as I would for the real thing - they certainly weren't the same price when new.

The 5x112 number is referring to the bolt pattern - 5 bolts, with 112mm being the diameter of a bolt hole pattern "circle". This is the same for all Audi wheels. The centre bore will be 66.6mm, as that is the Audi standard. If it is not an OEM wheel, you may need new bolts.

The tyres are the correct fitment for an A6.
Old 01-21-2017, 04:59 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

The guy claims they're SQ5 wheels but I have reason to believe they're 2016-2017 S6 wheels. He said the lines are still on the Pirelli P-Zeros so I'm kind of weirded out. Why would you sell brand new wheels/tires unless you're doing a full upgrade on your brand new car? And then at that point you would know which car you're taking them off of lol..

Check the brochure photo :

Old 01-21-2017, 05:04 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Glisse
They look like a Hartmann "very similar design to OEM" wheel, rather than the OEM 5-twin-spoke-design twisted model which I have never seen used on an SQ5, particularly 2017 production. To my eye, the Hartman spokes look thinner and more angular/less rounded than the real thing.

If so, the Hartmann won't fit as they are 9 x 20" wheels, with an offset of ET29. The correct offset for an A6 with 8.5 x 20" wheels is ET45. The Hartmann wheels would have an effective offset of around ET23 on an A6 (wheel is 12mm wider than OEM).

If they really are SQ5 OEM wheels, then they will be ET33, and will fit without requiring a spacer. They are already 12mm further out, a spacer may cause rubbing. The SQ5 and A6 use a similar brake caliper design - if the wheel clears the brakes on an SQ5, it will clear the brakes on a 3.0TFSI A6.

The offset will be stamped on the wheel. The OP should ask what it is. He should also ask who made the wheel. Audi OEM wheels have the part number stamped on to them. I would not pay the same price for a used third party "OEM style" wheel as I would for the real thing - they certainly weren't the same price when new.

The 5x112 number is referring to the bolt pattern - 5 bolts, with 112mm being the diameter of a bolt hole pattern "circle". This is the same for all Audi wheels. The centre bore will be 66.6mm, as that is the Audi standard. If it is not an OEM wheel, you may need new bolts.

The tyres are the correct fitment for an A6.
Thank you very much for the in depth break down my friend. I really appreciate your attention to detail. I will definitely check for all the points you listed!
Old 01-21-2017, 09:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 491 Likes on 335 Posts

^^
No problem.

As the OEM S6 wheels come as part of a "pack" in the US, I can understand someone wanting to change if they are modifying the car, etc. In Europe, these wheels are the most expensive 20" option wheels (you can also get 21") and not supplied in any "pack", so no one here would do that.

But an S6 wheel will not fit on an SQ5 unless big spacers are used, so it does seem bizarre that the OP would be trying to sell these as SQ5 wheels. And yes, a Pirelli P Zero is an S6 tyre, not SQ5. It makes you wonder just where/how this guy acquired them!!

As an aside, S7 versions of the wheel are very similar to SQ5 offset.

As I said, the only time I have seen a Q5/SQ5 on these wheels is when they were Hartmann:

Q5 with Hartmann 5-twin-spoke design replicas

Quick Reply: Will these SQ5 Wheels fit my A6?