A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

Interior Color Durability/Preference

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2017, 01:40 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Interior Color Durability/Preference

Hey all. Looking to go back to a (new to me) used A6 Avant sometime this year and sell my A4 Avant. With this car and the last the interior was the black leather, but many of the cars I am looking to buy have the beige/tan interior.

Just curious how the beige/tan looks over time and does it stain badly? Being leather I would guess not, but what about the carpet?

Would like to get a car with black interior but those seem to be harder to come by and more $$$.

Stoked to hear some opinions/input on this. Thanks!
Old 01-30-2017, 02:19 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by tutsnowboarder@gmail.com
Hey all. Looking to go back to a (new to me) used A6 Avant sometime this year and sell my A4 Avant. With this car and the last the interior was the black leather, but many of the cars I am looking to buy have the beige/tan interior.

Just curious how the beige/tan looks over time and does it stain badly? Being leather I would guess not, but what about the carpet?

Would like to get a car with black interior but those seem to be harder to come by and more $$$.

Stoked to hear some opinions/input on this. Thanks!
Not all the A6 interiors are the same, since "Standard leather" is leather seating surfaces, "Premium leather" is Volterra leather. I happen to have the light grey (Volterra leather) interior and it still looks great...but I also maintain the it.

As for the carpet, I've got some weathertech mats and the carpet looks perfect underneath them
Old 01-30-2017, 02:40 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thank you for the info. I believe the ones I am looking at have the standard leather, and the standard leather in my car now is great; but it is black.

Weather tech does seem like the way to go.

Anybody else?
Old 02-14-2017, 08:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I definitely prefer black for durability/appearance over the long haul. About the only tan interiors I've seen that hold up well are in the Lexus LS (LS430 especially).
Old 02-14-2017, 10:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would prefer black or "basketball/peanut butter" interior for looks. As for durability... that's kinda like a 2 way road. You can maintain the interior really well (weekly/monthly) or you can ignore it. I've seen lots of 15+ year old, high mileage vehicles with a brand new looking interior simply from being well maintained.
Old 02-15-2017, 01:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 329 Likes on 278 Posts

The beige interior seems to be holding up well given my environment (red dust or mud depending on the season). Never cleaned it since almost 2 years but still looks clean. I apply leather conditioner every 6 months though.

Stains may be the only thing to worry about. My back seats got stained during shipping (car was loaded with goods) and I was unable to remove the stains as they soaked in and had the time to dry during the 2 months transportation. Cleaning the stains earlier might have removed them. But what do I know?

I've seen black leather interiors and if I had to choose again, I'd still choose the beige because it holds up better and looks newer.

Here is a picture (2005 A6). More pictures are here: https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a6-...2894944/page3/

Last edited by kelisko; 02-15-2017 at 01:24 AM.
Old 02-18-2017, 05:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by tutsnowboarder@gmail.com
Thank you for the info. I believe the ones I am looking at have the standard leather, and the standard leather in my car now is great; but it is black.

Weather tech does seem like the way to go.

Anybody else?
I had badge/tan interior on my old 1996 A6 and have the same on my current 2006 A6. Current one has 162K mites. The interior looks fantastic and has no signs of wear.
I often drive the car in dirty/wet snowboard or MTB gear with a dog on the back seat. Still I do not see much of a concern. I only cover seats with a towel when I need to drive in wet swim trunks from the beach.
I treat leather once in a while with Zimol conditioner. I also replaced the original carpets with some generic rubber ones from the car wash.

Personally I really do not like black interior since it looks more of "gansta" then the "executive sedan". (the same logic as you go with black v. brown shoes). Hence I was very explicit to not get the black seats. But this is my personal opinion and should be disregarded.
Old 02-18-2017, 06:59 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

My interior is the same as kelisko's except I have dark rosewood trim, and where his is beige mine is black. The combination of the black, rich tan, and rosewood is IMHO very luxe. Best looking interior I have ever had. My tan leather is holding up very well at 133,000 miles.
Old 02-19-2017, 02:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree black looks gangsta! The cops seems to love it and if you got tint it looks darker. I like the black interior though.

Old 02-19-2017, 11:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 329 Likes on 278 Posts

Well looks like all interiors are fine as long as you maintain them well