Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Amazon Echo Dot

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2017, 12:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Amazon Echo Dot

So I was reading about a new Logitech dongle that works with Amazon Alexa in your car. Then I realized that my Echo Dot would work just fine in the car with Audi Connect and bluetooth speakers.

So I was thinking, it might not be bad to have Alexa in the car...but I also have and iPhone with gives me access to Siri.

Wanted to get some thoughts on connecting Alexa via bluetooth. Functions would be access to Amazon music, reading the news, traffic, ordering stuff - which may or may not overlap Siri.

Thoughts?
Old 02-08-2017, 11:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Driving is a serious business. Unless you're doing these things while parked on the side of the road, then it's not a good idea IMO.
Old 03-24-2017, 11:31 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also tried this today on my drive in to work but I think my car was having general connectivity issues with AT&T. It worked intermittently - Alexa kept complaining about loosing its connection to the internet, and for some reason also audio on the car's bluetooth was stuttering and crackelling (my phone works fine over bluetooth) - I linked the Dot to the car's wi-fi and the bluetooth. The only real reasons I can think to do it though is that you can voice-control Spotify and Amazon Prime Music with Alexa using the Dot. Not sure Alexa can really do much else that's of much use while driving, but cool that it can be done.
Old 03-27-2017, 06:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Not positive but there could be some issues here with using the car's wifi hotspot and bluetooth at the same time with the same device.
Old 03-27-2017, 07:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by snagitseven
Not positive but there could be some issues here with using the car's wifi hotspot and bluetooth at the same time with the same device.
I'll confirm that issue. Happened to me frequently, and decided to just not use it anymore.
Old 12-04-2017, 12:06 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alexa Echo Dot

I have bought this new device called Alexa Echo Dot which is really very cool as it lets us control the media applications remotely using this device. We can also get weather reports using the device. If you face any problem with the device, you can visit the website for solution by clicking alexa
not responding and get the best fix.
Old 12-05-2017, 11:14 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by 1st Time Audi
So I was reading about a new Logitech dongle that works with Amazon Alexa in your car. Then I realized that my Echo Dot would work just fine in the car with Audi Connect and bluetooth speakers.

So I was thinking, it might not be bad to have Alexa in the car...but I also have and iPhone with gives me access to Siri.

Wanted to get some thoughts on connecting Alexa via bluetooth. Functions would be access to Amazon music, reading the news, traffic, ordering stuff - which may or may not overlap Siri.

Thoughts?
I have the Google Home mini connected in the car. using the car's hotspot for network, but not connected to Bluetooth as my phone is connected to that. I do have a chromecast connected to the AMI (through an HDMI to RCA adapter. that gives me a connection to the audio system, and all I have to say is "Hey Google, Play XXXXX on Audi TV" and I hear it from the car speakers
Old 12-06-2017, 01:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by snagitseven
You can use a MMI to audio jack adapter to avoid using Bluetooth.
Old 12-14-2017, 01:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

We live out in the sticks. At the end of the road, end of service for elec & phone. My cell phone doesnt work here without a DSL powered microcell. Our DSL and phone lines were down all last weekend. Which also meant, my cell was down. On Monday morning, I was able to power up the Echo Dot in my Q7 and call the repair service thru the car wifi , even though I had NO service on my phone! I have this forum to thank!

Last month we took Alexa on vacation with us. She was quite entertaining, I guess I heard , "Alexa, who let the dogs out" a hundred times!
Old 03-16-2018, 08:52 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Google Home Mini to Google Chromecast Audio through Auxillary

Originally Posted by finzisa
I have the Google Home mini connected in the car. using the car's hotspot for network, but not connected to Bluetooth as my phone is connected to that. I do have a chromecast connected to the AMI (through an HDMI to RCA adapter. that gives me a connection to the audio system, and all I have to say is "Hey Google, Play XXXXX on Audi TV" and I hear it from the car speakers
Or, you can skip the HDMI to RCA adapter by using a Google Chromecast Audio connected through the Auxillary port in the console and powered by a standard USB (I used the one that came with the car). Just did that as I had an Chromecast Audio that was not of much use to me in my home. Get Chromecast Audio (speaker) connected and recognized through the Google Home app, then get the Mini connected to your car hotspot and powered through USB connection to the 12V Power Port. Name mini as "Audi Mini" and have it cast to "Audi Speaker". Set Audi Speaker as default. No bulky HMDI adapter needed. https://www.google.com/aclk?sa=l&ai=...QwzwICA&adurl=

Quick Reply: Amazon Echo Dot