A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

Good Deal?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2017, 11:02 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Good Deal?

Hey everyone, I'm looking into buying a used A6. It's a 2006 A6 4.2 s-line. 105k miles and it looks to be well maintenaned. The owner said he'd take $7700 for it. I know it's not good to assume everything works fine but let's assume that. Is it a good deal? I've found varying results with NADA and kbb so I thought I would ask people that have more knowledge about the cars.
Thanks in advance
Old 02-13-2017, 11:16 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor Chase
Hey everyone, I'm looking into buying a used A6. It's a 2006 A6 4.2 s-line. 105k miles and it looks to be well maintenaned. The owner said he'd take $7700 for it. I know it's not good to assume everything works fine but let's assume that. Is it a good deal? I've found varying results with NADA and kbb so I thought I would ask people that have more knowledge about the cars.
Thanks in advance
sure sounds good, but before you fork over any $$, pay for a good PPI (prepurchase inspection) by a good german independent garage and you'll be FAR better off. Good luck
Old 02-13-2017, 02:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For some reason KBB seem to be very low on these cars. But I personally think they are still a bargain!
Old 02-14-2017, 06:11 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks for the feedback guys. I have another question, is there anything that routinely goes wrong with this car that I should look out for?
Old 02-14-2017, 07:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

At that mileage, it's really about the maintenance history. If fluids were changed when they were supposed to be that helps a lot. If fluids were not maintained then it's rolling the dice.
Old 02-15-2017, 09:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Add my 2 cents there.

Where was the car driven?

105K miles in a flat area like Texas or Arizona is very different than the Hills of SF or even the hills of LA where I live. Between hills, stops signs and speed bumps, we probably put 3 miles of wear & tear on the car for every 1 mile on the odometer.

I'd also inquire if fluids often overlooked have been changed such as transmission, differential, brake and power steering. That'll give you an idea if the car has been really well maintained.
Old 02-17-2017, 09:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

As everyone else mentioned; fluids.. as well as gaskets and seals and timing chain is a big one to worry about. But if you do not hear any "chain rattling" when starting the car you should be fine. The timing chain is one of those things that mostly occur at higher mileages and also costs a few thousand to replace.

I think $7700 is a mid/high price... I would do what Raj suggested and get a very knowledgeable German/Audi mechanic to inspect the vehicle for you.
Old 02-18-2017, 03:48 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

For comparison, I bought my 2006 A6 4.2 a couple months ago with 107k miles for $9000. The biggest difference between the two being that on my car the timing chains were replaced right before I bought it. The cost of the timing chain replacement was just over 9k, but the previous owner had it paid for by his 3rd party warranty.
Old 02-18-2017, 04:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by adrianreece
For comparison, I bought my 2006 A6 4.2 a couple months ago with 107k miles for $9000. The biggest difference between the two being that on my car the timing chains were replaced right before I bought it. The cost of the timing chain replacement was just over 9k, but the previous owner had it paid for by his 3rd party warranty.
I was actually looking into 3rd party extended warranty. Everyone and everywhere says it's a bad idea, the 3rd party most of the time doesn't pay up or just jump ship and cannot be contacted when someone does need to make a claim. Adrian, do you by any chance know of this specific 3rd party warranty service?
Old 02-18-2017, 04:35 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I looked into it through Endurance and it would cover pretty much everything from engine/transmission to buttons and switches, for five years, but it would cost me just over 4K. In my case, since the timing chains had already been done, I decided against it. It is up to you, would it add peace of mind? Absolutely, but for a price.

Quick Reply: Good Deal?