A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do you like blind side detection system?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2017, 11:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default How do you like blind side detection system?

Hi all. Just curious about how useful and accurate you find the blind side detection system on the D4s. How does the Audi system compare to other systems you've experienced? Thanks. Regards. Ned.
Old 02-17-2017, 11:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think it is fine. Like how the light is at the inner mirror housing instead of some light on the mirror itself.

Can't tell.. but it seems that if a car is approaching fast it goes off sooner? Kinda neat if so.
Old 02-17-2017, 11:54 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I have had two Audi's with it - three without...

... don't like it. RF interference with radar detectors is a big drawback for me. In addition, there is no blindspot if you adjust the mirrors correctly....

One of the most effective defenses against blind spots is the proper adjustment of the driver's and rider's side mirror. Done correctly, there is NO blind spot. When setting your side mirrors, tilt them out farther than you traditionally do. Most folks set them so that they can see their rear fender. That is tilted WAY too far in. Set them so that that fender just disappears, then you will have no blind spot. Trust me, the fender will still be there and is unnecessary as a sight line. Then, as an approaching car leaves the mirror, it is already in your peripheral vision. Hence, no blind spot.

The Audi Blind Spot Detecter System, interferes with some of my radar detectors (have to set the filter) and I feel is just one more damn thing to fail. It makes the mirror hideously expensive if damaged.

Just my opinion - I have been flamed on this before.

Happy Motoring

Eric
Old 02-17-2017, 12:15 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

It is one the best features you can have, but only if you drive mostly in town, like me...
Old 02-17-2017, 12:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

Mine gave too many false positives to be useful, so I turned it off. The mirrors are big, and there's lots of greenhouse to see out of, so I never missed it.
Old 02-17-2017, 12:22 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts
Default Wifey loves it, I really don't care.

Originally Posted by Ngerstman
Hi all. Just curious about how useful and accurate you find the blind side detection system on the D4s. How does the Audi system compare to other systems you've experienced? Thanks. Regards. Ned.
Many times it's just a distraction because situational awareness has been kicked in so long I already know something is there. One thing, the blinker goes off often on utility poles, etc. as you drive along.

GET the automatic braking system, however, or cruise whatever. It is SO handy as you get older with longer reaction times, etc. Only downside I've experienced (on a MB loaner, LOL!) was when going to pass a guy I was following the system touched the brakes before I swung out to pass...LOL, the lesson is get in the passing lane sooner rather than coming up behind and swinging out. The auto brake seems to be pretty effective at NOT going on if it thinks you're not in the same lane.

This stuff can only get better with GPS location and inter-vehicle communications or telematics. That might be a much longer wait.
Old 02-17-2017, 12:39 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 582 Likes on 488 Posts

Originally Posted by eric strauss
The Audi Blind Spot Detecter System, interferes with some of my radar detectors (have to set the filter) and I feel is just one more damn thing to fail. It makes the mirror hideously expensive if damaged.

Happy Motoring

Eric
Disabling POP is no big deal to me on my V1's. Like you I'm in CA, so I already mod the detector settings as std. practice to disable things like X band that isn't used AFAIK, except for the annoying door opener stuff.

Blind spot detectors are sensors in bumper area. As mentioned, indicator is separate from mirror. Not like ones built into mirror like on various other makes. Thus mirror expense is driven by combo of heated and antidazzle/dimming. Shouldn't have anything to do with blind spot detection w/ way Audi implements. But I have also found Euro style mirror glass is available via various Euro EBays for rational prices. I just do passenger side; driver's one gets somewhat distracting for me optically.

Nonetheless, I am likewise a big believer in mirror-signal-blindspot from basic driver's training, day 1. And unfortunately increasingly in CA I see people who turn on signal (maybe) simultaneously while changing lanes directly beside me, and think somehow that's okay to just blow into car beside. Net, I take this system as just an add on aid to lots of situational awareness. Blindspot system will also wave you off in tighter situations where reality of traffic and vehicle spacing allow you to fit cleanly if needed and hopefully not obnoxiously. Same with over reliance on rear back up cameras (or people who use inside mirror for same idea)--always turn head and body around. A helpful add on, but I have seen lots of situations already (and out to lunch drivers) where due to movement or angles involved from sides, the camera or mirror routine alone may not pick up the issue--kids, pets, pedestrians, carts, wheelchairs, lots of stuff.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 02-17-2017 at 12:43 PM.
Old 02-17-2017, 01:07 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Originally Posted by eric strauss
... don't like it. RF interference with radar detectors is a big drawback for me. In addition, there is no blindspot if you adjust the mirrors correctly....

One of the most effective defenses against blind spots is the proper adjustment of the driver's and rider's side mirror. Done correctly, there is NO blind spot. When setting your side mirrors, tilt them out farther than you traditionally do. Most folks set them so that they can see their rear fender. That is tilted WAY too far in. Set them so that that fender just disappears, then you will have no blind spot. Trust me, the fender will still be there and is unnecessary as a sight line. Then, as an approaching car leaves the mirror, it is already in your peripheral vision. Hence, no blind spot.

Happy Motoring

Eric
+1...these systems are great for those who never learned how to properly adjust their mirrors. Unfortunately, that's the vast majority of drivers. I don't have interference issues like Eric, but I don't pay attention to the system at all. It sometimes goes out if I'm stuck in traffic too long. It gets confused with all the slow moving cars. I don't even realize when it's out, it's that not important if you have your mirrors adjusted properly and have situational awareness. After a while I eventually notice that it is out and turn it back on. Thought being it's there and perhaps a piece of mind. Maybe I get in a situation one day where I'm a bit distracted and the system may help.

As to adjusting the mirrors. Most adjust the mirrors like Eric says, which results in the side mirror's field of view overlapping with the rear view mirror's field of view, so you see some parts twice, once on the side view mirror and once on the rear view mirror and you create a blind spot. If the side view mirrors are adjusted properly then a car approaching from behind on the side will enter the view of the side view mirror, stay on there and as it gets closer and leaves the view of the side mirror it enters the view if the rear view mirror. You can easily spot if the driver in front of you has their mirrors adjusted improperly. If you can see their face in their side mirror, then they have created a blind spot for themselves and you better don't hang out in it.

How To: Adjust Your Mirrors to Avoid Blind Spots - Feature - Car and Driver

Last edited by superswiss; 02-17-2017 at 01:17 PM.
Old 02-17-2017, 01:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Appreciate all of the feedback. I'm new to Audi, my 2016 s8 is all of 5 weeks old. I was wondering if it was just me, but I find the system is just not accurate enough, I get too many false positives, warning lights flashing when it appears it's safe to change lanes, very disconcerting. I have always recognized that these systems are only a driving aid tool but when done properly, they are very helpful. The system on my 2011 Mercedes e550 is far more accurate and it has made driving easier and safer imo. I've had them on rental cars from various manufacturers and generally find those systems useful as well. Not sure why the Audi system is so inaccurate and hence less useful. I was hoping that it was just a matter of time to get used to the Audi, the series of flashing lights of varying intensity, but not sure it is accurate enough to be useful, considering turning it off. I'll give it a bit more time. I've been so disappointed in the system that I called my Audi salesman yesterday to have him check if it could be adjusted, which he said no to. Thanks for the feedback. Regards. Ned.
Old 02-17-2017, 01:36 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Originally Posted by Ngerstman
Appreciate all of the feedback. I'm new to Audi, my 2016 s8 is all of 5 weeks old. I was wondering if it was just me, but I find the system is just not accurate enough, I get too many false positives, warning lights flashing when it appears it's safe to change lanes, very disconcerting. I have always recognized that these systems are only a driving aid tool but when done properly, they are very helpful. The system on my 2011 Mercedes e550 is far more accurate and it has made driving easier and safer imo. I've had them on rental cars from various manufacturers and generally find those systems useful as well. Not sure why the Audi system is so inaccurate and hence less useful. I was hoping that it was just a matter of time to get used to the Audi, the series of flashing lights of varying intensity, but not sure it is accurate enough to be useful, considering turning it off. I'll give it a bit more time. I've been so disappointed in the system that I called my Audi salesman yesterday to have him check if it could be adjusted, which he said no to. Thanks for the feedback. Regards. Ned.
I don't think they are inaccurate. I don't know how other manufacturers do them, but there are two things that factor into whether the system alerts you or not. One is distance and the other is rate of approach. The system alerts if there is a car already in or near your blind spot, but it also alerts if there is a car that's not yet near your blind spot, but is driving faster than you and therefore is approaching your blind spot and could be in it by the time you are changing the lane. A lot of people have difficulty judging speed. It regularly happens to me that somebody is changing into my lane as I'm approaching. They clearly didn't judge my speed correctly and changed directly into my path.

Quick Reply: How do you like blind side detection system?