Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Easy/Cheap Passenger Center Mount for Tablet

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2017, 01:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Easy/Cheap Passenger Center Mount for Tablet

Both of my kids are still relatively young and I don't want to have their own tablets in the car, so I was looking for a simple solution to mounting a tablet in the center where I can control the movies, volume, etc.

Most commercial center mounts rely on a pole that clips to one of the headrest. Not only do I think this is unsightly, but with the Q7's square headrest poles, most, if not all of these center mounts wouldn't work.

I was also looking for a solution in which it would provide me with easy access to the tablet for control (selection of movies, primarily).

I bought the following mount from Amazon:

Amazon Amazon

And just wrapped it around the center arm rest. It's not the most elegant solution but it works for me. I'm able to flip the armrest down and select the movies and then flip it back up. The audio is connected via Bluetooth and I plan to buy a short micro USB cord for power (which is conveniently located under the armrest). And it's sturdy and can be put away quickly.

I don't really miss the armrest much while driving and it's an easy sacrifice considering my other option is having restless kids :/
Old 02-21-2017, 05:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

I give you thumbs up on the solution. My kids are spoiled as it is with things especially ipad time. In the car, they get nothing. If they only had to deal with my hardships at their age.
Old 02-21-2017, 06:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks for the compliment. I know what you mean. If I ever told my parents I was bored in the car, I would've been doing a lot of walking!

My kids are pretty good; they only ask for it when we're on any road trips that are over 2 hours long.
Old 02-22-2017, 06:19 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interesting. As you noted, not the best setup aesthetically, but definitely effective. What happens when you brake suddenly though? Does the armrest just slam shut? Or is it pretty secure in that position?
Old 02-22-2017, 06:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

I went with one of these:
Amazon Link Amazon Link

Works really well and holds old iPad 2 or IPad Air 2 securely. Kids use it for films and also for choosing the music on the MMI.

Old 02-22-2017, 03:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

srbsq7, how stiff is that mount in terms of vibration? Does it bounce around a lot? Also, I didn't go with that solution because the 2017 Q7 has square posts on the headrests. Not sure these would work.
Old 02-22-2017, 04:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Buckerine
Interesting. As you noted, not the best setup aesthetically, but definitely effective. What happens when you brake suddenly though? Does the armrest just slam shut? Or is it pretty secure in that position?
I haven't tried to slam on the brakes but considering how much friction is in the arm rest hinge, I would imagine the worst happening would be the arm rest rotating slightly. I doubt it would slam down.

I do know that under normal operation including some hard braking, it doesn't move at all.
Old 02-22-2017, 10:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by nhatman
srbsq7, how stiff is that mount in terms of vibration? Does it bounce around a lot? Also, I didn't go with that solution because the 2017 Q7 has square posts on the headrests. Not sure these would work.
Very stiff. It doesn't move around at all (other than the cars movement). No complaints from the kids.

The bracket handles the Q7 headrest just fine and I leave the main bracket on all the time - never have to adjust it or tighten etc. Doesn't rattle either. I just unclip the mounting bracket and slide the pole back to the minimum distance.
Old 02-23-2017, 06:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by srbsq7
The bracket handles the Q7 headrest just fine
I've noticed from your picture that your headrests have round posts. Mine are much larger and are square. I'm not sure those clamps would've worked for me. Anybody else with square posts ever try these tablet mounts?
Old 02-23-2017, 08:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by nhatman
Thanks for the compliment. I know what you mean. If I ever told my parents I was bored in the car, I would've been doing a lot of walking!

My kids are pretty good; they only ask for it when we're on any road trips that are over 2 hours long.

Very creative! I am just wondering if you are able to put iPad air 2 since you have to mount on vertical direction relatively compare to the headrest mount. The spec for the mount holder stated that the Maximum height is 23cm, iPad air 2 is 24cm. Thanks!

Quick Reply: Easy/Cheap Passenger Center Mount for Tablet