Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Lazy transmission

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2017, 02:35 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lazy transmission

Is it just me, or does anyone else feel that the transmission drops the rev ridiculous low (close to 1k) when not on the gas? And then when it's time to accelerate, the car either takes too long to downshift, or lunges forward when I gave it too much gas. Though sometimes I don't notice it as much, please tell me I'm not the only one.

I don't remember seeing this behaviour when I test drove a X5, IIRC it's more ready to accelerate, while not being overly aggressive. In the Q7, manually downshifting to the appropriate gear before accelerating, makes the throttle easier to modulate while not having to gave it as much gas. Just wish I don't have to do that to begin with. My theory and unscientific observation is that, keeping rev too low while off throttle has no benefit, and could sometimes result in worse gas mileage.

I use the S mode for the transmission only when I have to accelerate in a pinch, which is rare, it's simply too aggressive for daily driving. Dynamic mode is even worse, I feel that the throttle gets too sensitive to give you the false sense that the car suddenly has 100hp more, I prefer a more linear throttle.

It just feels to me the transmission mapping is more suited for a TDI engine, where there's a ton of low end torque. We need a transmission tune that better utilizes the power band and better suited to the characteristics of the 3.0TFSI engine. End rant.

Last edited by STiGuy; 02-27-2017 at 02:38 AM.
Old 02-27-2017, 05:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

I'm not sure how much of this is true, but i always heard that modern transmissions learn the way you drive and adapt. Which is a reason why I do some spirited driving when breaking my cars
Old 02-27-2017, 06:27 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by STiGuy
Is it just me, or does anyone else feel that the transmission drops the rev ridiculous low (close to 1k) when not on the gas? And then when it's time to accelerate, the car either takes too long to downshift, or lunges forward when I gave it too much gas. Though sometimes I don't notice it as much, please tell me I'm not the only one.

I don't remember seeing this behaviour when I test drove a X5, IIRC it's more ready to accelerate, while not being overly aggressive. In the Q7, manually downshifting to the appropriate gear before accelerating, makes the throttle easier to modulate while not having to gave it as much gas. Just wish I don't have to do that to begin with. My theory and unscientific observation is that, keeping rev too low while off throttle has no benefit, and could sometimes result in worse gas mileage.

I use the S mode for the transmission only when I have to accelerate in a pinch, which is rare, it's simply too aggressive for daily driving. Dynamic mode is even worse, I feel that the throttle gets too sensitive to give you the false sense that the car suddenly has 100hp more, I prefer a more linear throttle.

It just feels to me the transmission mapping is more suited for a TDI engine, where there's a ton of low end torque. We need a transmission tune that better utilizes the power band and better suited to the characteristics of the 3.0TFSI engine. End rant.
I dont think its a false sense...the car just use the power it have, and it suprisingly moves out. I mean it have power and torque to have sub 6 sec 0-60 times and to me it shows.

I think the transmission programming in auto it leans more for efficiency which when I use acc I can get 22-23mpg with highway and city driving here in washington from Fife to Boeing field (just in case you wanna google). I Can still squeak out 21 mpg hitting some traffics spot on the way. I am very please with the gas mileage. Its actually almost on par with my cobalt a 3000lb 4 banger. The supercharger decoupling with th 8 speed and acc is proving to be very efficient imo. Oh i also use the start/stop.

With that said, can the tranny and throttle be tighten up for daily driving in auto mode to be more repsonsive, I wouldnt mind it. Im also paying attention if the car do anymore learning from my driving habits that make it better. But I usually cruise every on ACC so it may not.
Old 02-27-2017, 07:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think you can reset the transmission if you think it's misbehaving? I think you turn the ignition on and hold the accelerator down flat for 20 seconds or so. I know a guy in the UK had issues with his car changing gear too frequently and managed to fix it.
Old 02-27-2017, 08:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by srbsq7
I think you can reset the transmission if you think it's misbehaving? I think you turn the ignition on and hold the accelerator down flat for 20 seconds or so. I know a guy in the UK had issues with his car changing gear too frequently and managed to fix it.
Does this transmission reset work for petrol engine too? Would you mind describing the exact steps? Thanks!
Old 02-27-2017, 09:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by discogone
Does this transmission reset work for petrol engine too? Would you mind describing the exact steps? Thanks!
I believe it is more to do with the gearbox than the type of engine. I remember there was an almost identical procedure for BMW's. I just did a search and found this. Seems no risk in trying and seeing if it works:

1.key on (dont start, just turn ignition on)
2.gas down to floor for 10 sec
3.while holding gas, turn ignition off
4.let go of gas
5.key on (again, on, dont start) for 5 min (for throttle readaptation). touch nothing.
6.then start while touching nothing.
7.drive and see what happens.
Old 02-27-2017, 10:15 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 128 Likes on 87 Posts

It's all in the gearbox tuning. IMO Audi tunes for more comfort over sport. I'm sure most people who buy/drive the Q7 are not expecting a sporty throttle response (which is why S/Dynamic is there). I've driven several BMWs with the latest ZF 8-speed, same as Audis, and they are more responsive out of the box, even in D. BMW seems to tune theirs to be a bit more sporty.

The gearboxes do adapt overtime as well. If you drive more aggressively it'll sharpen the response.
Old 02-27-2017, 06:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i've felt that since day 1, i notice it every time i take a right turn into my hood.
As i hit the brakes to slow down & make the right turn i let go of the gas, once i start to straighten out and hit the gas i feel the engine rev up and it engages thus making the car accelerate/take off fast probably 3 seconds later.
Old 02-27-2017, 08:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by srbsq7
I believe it is more to do with the gearbox than the type of engine. I remember there was an almost identical procedure for BMW's. I just did a search and found this. Seems no risk in trying and seeing if it works:

1.key on (dont start, just turn ignition on)
2.gas down to floor for 10 sec
3.while holding gas, turn ignition off
4.let go of gas
5.key on (again, on, dont start) for 5 min (for throttle readaptation). touch nothing.
6.then start while touching nothing.
7.drive and see what happens.
Thanks srbsq7, will give it a try!
Old 02-28-2017, 01:09 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GDawgA4
It's all in the gearbox tuning. IMO Audi tunes for more comfort over sport. I'm sure most people who buy/drive the Q7 are not expecting a sporty throttle response (which is why S/Dynamic is there). I've driven several BMWs with the latest ZF 8-speed, same as Audis, and they are more responsive out of the box, even in D. BMW seems to tune theirs to be a bit more sporty.

The gearboxes do adapt overtime as well. If you drive more aggressively it'll sharpen the response.
It's pointless to drive aggressively in a large SUV lol, that's not what these cars are designed for. But I don't want the gearbox to be sluggish either, to me it's almost as important as engine tuning.

I agree the gearbox tuning feels a lot better in many non performance oriented BMWs and Audi's, which is not that bad for gas mileage and comfort IMO. Dropping rev to 1k then having to wait 3 sec for the power to come on might be even worse for efficiency, it's a waste of the gas engine's power band.

Last edited by STiGuy; 02-28-2017 at 01:48 PM.

Quick Reply: Lazy transmission