Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Hold Assist function - problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2017, 12:24 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hold Assist function - problem

I own Audi A6 C7, 2.0 TDI, manul gear, manufactured January 2013.

I have a problem with Hold Assist function. I have to switch on each time I start the car. I would like that the car remembers if it is enable when I switch the engine off and restores that state when I restart the car

Could you advise me what can I do? Can an authorized Audi service reprogrammed mentioned function? I now that vehicles that have been manufactured after March 2013, having mentioned function corrected.

Thanks a lot and best regards,
Mitja
Old 02-28-2017, 03:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

What is hold/assist, something to do with TDI? If so then, never mind.
Old 02-28-2017, 04:03 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by hotlips
What is hold/assist, something to do with TDI? If so then, never mind.
It's something for a car with a manual transmission that keeps the car from rolling back when starting from a stop on a hill.
Old 02-28-2017, 09:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by DanfZX14
It's something for a car with a manual transmission that keeps the car from rolling back when starting from a stop on a hill.
Auto's have it as well but there is no on/off for it. It is always on.

If it's a feature you turn on you may need vcds help with it.
Old 02-28-2017, 10:37 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by porksoda
I did not know that. This is why I love this forum. So much great information is shared!
Old 02-28-2017, 01:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I did notice that feature on a very steep hill pulling out of a street parking spot, very effective.
Old 03-01-2017, 05:55 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 180 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by Mitja87
I own Audi A6 C7, 2.0 TDI, manul gear, manufactured January 2013.

I have a problem with Hold Assist function. I have to switch on each time I start the car. I would like that the car remembers if it is enable when I switch the engine off and restores that state when I restart the car

Could you advise me what can I do? Can an authorized Audi service reprogrammed mentioned function? I now that vehicles that have been manufactured after March 2013, having mentioned function corrected.

Thanks a lot and best regards,
Mitja
Early C7 cars which includes yours, had the Hill Hold defaulting to off every time you started the car. From MY15 (those manufactured 2014 onwards) they changed it to staying on. No one ever managed to find away of changing the cosing via VCDS to reverse this functionality. For those not familiar with the feature, it basically puts a valve in the braking system to maintain the pressure after the car comes to a stop and is released when the car moves forward again. Obviosly more useful on manuals than autos and a great benefit when stopping and starting on a hill
The following users liked this post:
nordicb (06-30-2023)
Old 03-03-2017, 12:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by DanfZX14
I did not know that. This is why I love this forum. So much great information is shared!
heh cheers. exactly thats why its a great community.

I had the feature on my 5 series but it was you held the brake pedal and it held the car until you used the accelerator and i used that feature a lot, on the audi it holds for a few seconds and not for a long period of time. It is still useful but i prefer the hold until user interaction.
Old 03-07-2017, 12:01 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by porksoda

If it's a feature you turn on you may need vcds help with it.
Thanks for your answer. Maybe do you know how to do this?
Old 03-07-2017, 02:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

There are two different features that are being mixed together here. There is Hill Hold Assist and then there is Hill Start Assist. The latter is automatic. It engages if you stop on an incline > 3% and as mentioned holds the break pressure for up to 3 seconds to give the driver time to change from the brake pedal to the throttle w/o the car rolling backwards. Very helpful with dual clutch transmissions which roll back immediately and since there is no clutch pedal, you can't hold the car at all other than manually with the e-brake.

Hill Hold on the other hand needs to be manually engaged and was only available in North America on early model years. If equipped with the feature, there's a button below the e-brake to engage it. Once engaged, the feature holds the car whenever you come to a stop. It also works on flat grounds. It first holds the car by maintaining the brake pressure, but after a while to avoid overheating the ABS pumps it automatically engages the e-brake and releases the brake pressure. Then when you start moving again, the e-brake automatically disengages normally.

Quick Reply: Hold Assist function - problem