A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

No front plates - worth the risk?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2017, 08:16 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts
Default No front plates - worth the risk?

Ok, I know in many states (I'm in NJ/NY) the law says - front license plates required. IMHO, on these cars, the front plate totally destroys the look of the grill - though not as much as on the Allroads. On my last 2 cars - Macan and A4 I have been lucky and never got a ticket. I'm still undecided on my 2017 Allroad. One thing I am sure of is that if I get a ticket, the front plates will be on next day. How many comply and how many are risking the ticket?
Old 03-21-2017, 08:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

Running on front plates makes the front end look better.

And I live in IL where it is compulsory to have front plates. Yet I've seen so many cars without front plates. But I'm still scared. I don't want to risk it just yet.
Old 03-21-2017, 08:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

Bob, moving violation or fix-it ticket?

As much as I despise the front plate on these cars, I'm not giving the police any additional reasons to stop me
Old 03-21-2017, 08:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by VipinLJ
Running on front plates makes the front end look better.

And I live in IL where it is compulsory to have front plates. Yet I've seen so many cars without front plates. But I'm still scared. I don't want to risk it just yet.
Whoooooooah, you think front plates make the grill look better? I think the US plates simply break up the strong and unified look. Diffrent strokes. Like I mentioned, I ran them w/o plates for about 10 months - but maybe I'm just lucky - so far......
Old 03-21-2017, 08:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm also in NJ and the front plate is on. If the grill on the 2017 looked better without a plate, or if I had an RS style honeycomb grill then I might risk it. You could always use a tow hook mount and attach it to the bumper, but I actually think that looks worse. Just looks out of place.
Old 03-21-2017, 09:04 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by BiscuitEmbryo
I'm also in NJ and the front plate is on. If the grill on the 2017 looked better without a plate, or if I had an RS style honeycomb grill then I might risk it. You could always use a tow hook mount and attach it to the bumper, but I actually think that looks worse. Just looks out of place.

I had bought one of the tow hook plates for my Macan and ended not even taking it out of the box as the more I thought about it, the more I did not like it, beside some complained of interfering with the front sensors/
Old 03-21-2017, 10:09 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm in Colorado that requires front plates. I have never had front plates on my cars for over 15 years. I've gotten two tickets total because of it ($30 or so). One was because I parked on the side of the street downtown where meter maids prey on people. Most of the time I park in parking garages and private property as you can't get a ticket there.

I've gotten pulled over a few times for speeding and they just remind me that I need a front plate. No biggie, I'll take the risk. I just say something like I was cleaning/detailing my car and forgot to put it back on or something. I don't really care....I'll pay the price to look COOL! I'm sure other states have more **** cops than Colorado has.

Last edited by Strife1013; 03-21-2017 at 10:14 AM.
Old 03-21-2017, 10:20 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by uberwgn

As much as I despise the front plate on these cars, I'm not giving the police any additional reasons to stop me
Same here, in Illinois. Yeah the front end looks a little better without a plate, but it's not that big of a deal for me to have a plate on front. I don't even think about it one way or another.
Old 03-21-2017, 10:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by uberwgn

Sorry, missed this. I believe it is not a moving violation - where points would apply.
Old 03-21-2017, 10:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bob m
Whoooooooah, you think front plates make the grill look better? I think the US plates simply break up the strong and unified look. Diffrent strokes. Like I mentioned, I ran them w/o plates for about 10 months - but maybe I'm just lucky - so far......
Maybe Bob M transposed the two letters, and intended to write "Running no front plates looks better".

Quick Reply: No front plates - worth the risk?