A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Key Fob Replacement and Question for Art

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2017, 08:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 83 Likes on 69 Posts
Default Key Fob Replacement and Question for Art

So my fobs are all looking pretty ratty and I found this thread which led me to aliexpress search but I wondered if anyone had replaced their fobs (or just the buttons) and was happy with the quality of the replacement. I need four, so dealer is even less attractive an option than normal. My fobs are exactly like the old one in this photo:

kind of squarish.

Now the question for Art (in Engineering). Why the fark does the car capture the key and refuse to let it go if the wrong key is used? I know, first-world problem; too many Audi keys. After my third *derp* incident in trying to start the A8 I was in with the wrong fob, I cannot see the rationale behind the captive key trick. Any good thief knows a paperclip will free it, and to the owners it's a PITA. Also, really, why these stupid 3-pound fobs with integral key - if you want to carry three, the loss control officer stops you on the way out of stores. I know it's better now, but is this why urban yutes think falling-down pants is a status symbol - because they ostensibly have 3-4 fobs and can't keep their pants up?

I feel better now. Thanks for any input, guys.
-Tom
Old 03-22-2017, 10:18 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts
Default I accidentally put the A8 key in my 2008 Q7...

The key went in perfectly and when I turned, nothing happened... I thought the Q7 was dead until my wife told me it was the wrong key. Put the Q7 key in and it started right up. So, the Q7's security system is different from the A8? I thought it would lock the ignition system but it didn't.

Cheers,

Louis
Old 03-22-2017, 10:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

I always change mine out to the Bentley style because I buy older Audi vehicles and FOBs are well worn when I get them. I do not like the panic button because I accidentally set it of once in a while because I hook my keys to my front belt loop. With this style, there is no panic button. Also you have to mod it slightly by breaking the plastic tabs internally. Also you can just tap the roll pin out and the original Audi key will fit in the replacement key. I've done two so far so and its held up with years of use. Here are a couple of pics of my main key.
Attached Thumbnails Key Fob Replacement and Question for Art-key1.jpg   Key Fob Replacement and Question for Art-key.jpg  

Last edited by TSHong; 03-22-2017 at 10:38 AM.
Old 03-22-2017, 10:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Where do you buy the Bentley style for the a8? Cost? Mine is also worn. Sounds like all you do is swap over the internals and you're good to go.
Old 03-22-2017, 12:00 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I got mine off fleabay but looks like there are no more right now. I'm glad I bought an extra one for my next reskin or repair. You can get standard ones on ebay for almost nothing.

This will work but no Audi logo: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Flip-Shell-R...dXwAtq&vxp=mtr

Last edited by TSHong; 03-22-2017 at 12:46 PM.
Old 03-23-2017, 05:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Tstealth32
Where do you buy the Bentley style for the a8? Cost? Mine is also worn. Sounds like all you do is swap over the internals and you're good to go.
I know of one Nut who went as far as buying a genuine Bentley leather-ensconced fob from the dealer (IIRC) and swapping its internals; he left the "B" because it's his initial. Pretty $nazzy!

Originally Posted by TSHong
I got mine off fleabay but looks like there are no more right now. I'm glad I bought an extra one for my next reskin or repair. You can get standard ones on ebay for almost nothing.

This will work but no Audi logo: Flip Shell Remote Key Case Fob 3 Button Bentley Style for VW Phaeton Touareg | eBay
Which vendor did you use, Thomas? It can be pretty hit-or-miss on the 'bay. Thanks for the link. I don't know why I never think to look on Ebay!?

I got the
 logo covered logo covered

Amazon $8

...although I will miss the neat little recess the OE fob has to fit the logo (I'll probably try to dremel a fob - might be doable)

-Tom
Old 03-23-2017, 05:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by ltooz_a6_a8_q7
...Put the Q7 key in and it started right up. So, the Q7's security system is different from the A8?...
Sounds like Art has made an improvement.
Old 03-23-2017, 12:33 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Which vendor did you use, Thomas? It can be pretty hit-or-miss on the 'bay. Thanks for the link. I don't know why I never think to look on Ebay!?

I can remember the actual vendor but I do remember it was overseas. I think the VW ones have a hole for the VW logo though. I think they are all the same. They probably made a run for Audi and sold out of them and now they are on VW and BMW right now. Let me know if you get one and I will guide you through it. I can show you what to modify to install the internals.

-Tom[/QUOTE]
Old 03-28-2017, 12:55 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

and how does one program them?
thanks
Supreet
Old 03-28-2017, 02:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by lionhearts
and how does one program them?
thanks
Supreet
One doesn't. The dealer does. What they were discussing was swapping the internals from an ugly but working remote into a clean remote. As far as the car is concerned, it's the same key, just with a different skin. No programming involved.

Quick Reply: Key Fob Replacement and Question for Art