A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

odd start-up sound

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2017, 01:45 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default odd start-up sound

just noticed my 3.0t has a quick tick/rattle sound upon initially start-up.

haven't nailed down if it's only on cold start or not, but it's a quick 1-2 second span of ticks, almost like TDI but a tad louder. it goes right away and idles fine/smooth.

car has just under 50k.

normal?
Old 03-30-2017, 01:55 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

I think it's just the sound before oil gets back in the lifters after it's been sitting, more common as a car gets miles on it. Just a guess, it's hard to be sure without hearing it.
Old 03-30-2017, 02:00 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts
Default Quite likely.

Originally Posted by Jack88
I think it's just the sound before oil gets back in the lifters after it's been sitting, more common as a car gets miles on it. Just a guess, it's hard to be sure without hearing it.
Use the heaviest SAE grade your owner's manual allows. I used 15W-40 Amsoil diesel/marine oil in our 2K4.2A6 for over 180K miles. NO ticking from lifters, no lifter failure, no camshaft tensioner failure.
Old 03-30-2017, 02:04 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

^ side note to that...is there any downside to driving the car in Dynamic mode often/always?

besides suspension and transmission tweaks, I know the steering and belt tension is also adjusted...just curious.

back to topic, I will try to get a sound clip.
thanks for the oil tip. I just did a change, but I will upgrade next go around for sure.
Old 03-30-2017, 03:25 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Tapping on cold starts means your not getting oil flow fast enough. As much as 90% engine wear happens on cold starts. 10k mile oil changes probably does not help. Malfunctioning oil filter anti drain back valve also slows oil on cold starts. I think carbon is the culprit. Builds up in the tiny paths for oil to flow to the heads and timing chain.

I developed a cold start tick on my LS430 around 135k miles that I cured with Marvel Mystery Oil. Change your oil and replace a quart of the normal oil with Marvel oil. It's very good at cleaning carbon out of the engine without the harshness of an oil flush. I think I ran it about 3k miles and changed the oil. Worked great.
Old 03-30-2017, 04:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Do you possibly park on a decline? My driveway is a slight decline and when i park nose in, it seems to happen more often. If i back up into my driveway, it Doesntt happen. It just sounds like the engine gets dry and it's a metal on metal rattle sort.of. It literally happens for like a second and it's gone. If engine is warm or was recently shut off, it doesn't happen as its stil lubed up. Used to always happen on my VW CC when i had it too bit it was a lease so i never really cared to have it checked.
Old 03-30-2017, 05:22 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

All the more reason to run high quality synthetic oil. I'm about **** these things and don't lease vehicles so it would drive me crazy.
Old 03-30-2017, 06:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by LexusLSguy
All the more reason to run high quality synthetic oil. I'm about **** these things and don't lease vehicles so it would drive me crazy.
im the same way lol if i hear one little odd noise it bothers the hell out of me and i have to find out what it is. I run castrol 0W-40 (european formula). Supposed to be one of the best if not the best spec wise. Great for when it's hot out and great for when it's cold.
Old 03-31-2017, 10:07 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

^ why do you think I'm posting here? we all drive this thing...noones like sounds like this.
Old 03-31-2017, 10:16 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by adamsrotors
noones like sounds like this.
Are you sure? These cars are well insulated, it's possible lots of owners just don't pick up on that momentary noise. Or, like me, they know it's nothing to worry about. If the noise really is that worrying, post a video so we can all hear it. Don't get worked up, unless you haven't described it properly, what you describe sounds like something many cars do.

Quick Reply: odd start-up sound