Go Back   AudiWorld Forums > Technical Discussion > Motors > TDI Discussion
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Welcome to AudiWorld Forums!
Welcome to AudiWorld.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the AudiWorld Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-04-2013, 04:03 PM   #1
AudiWorld Newcomer
Account #: 250688

Default AD BLU OR BLUE DEF-DIFFERENT?

I've a 2010 Q7, bought second hand only a few thousand miles ago. It's asking for Ad blu. Ad blu is quite expensive compared with DEF. The manual says I must use Ad blu- but it would wouldn't it. If I call a stealership I'm sure they'll say I have to use Ad Blu- I expect that's all they sell.
Can anyone tell me if they've used DEF & whether they've had any problems with it. Are there other "Ad Blu" alternatives on the market?
Achenstrasse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 03:27 PM   #2
Audiworld Junior Member
Account #: 184544

AdBlue is a brand name for DEF...it's all the same stuff.VW dealers and many auto parts stores (Auto Zone,etc) and sometimes even Walmart sells 2.5 gallon jugs of "generic" DEF for about $5 a gallon.Search Bimmerfest and MBWorld for detailed instructions on how to fill a DEF cheaply and fairly easily.
Old 02-16-2013, 12:18 AM   #3
AudiWorld Newcomer
Account #: 190840

The wholesale price for urea is about $400 per metric ton, after peaking in 2012 at about $700. That's about 2200 pounds, or about 300 gallons. (I am not sure about the weight of a gallon of urea, but estimate it's about 7 pounds.)

So at the wholesale level, about $1.33-2.00 a gallon. Figure a typical markup, and it shouldn't cost over $5/gallon at retail and usually less. Compare this to the price of a gallon of windshield washer fluid, about $2-4/gallon.
TornadoRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 04:01 PM   #4
AudiWorld Newcomer
Account #: 250688

Thank you for taking the time to respond. Much appreciated.
Achenstrasse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 04:01 PM
AudiWorld
Audi R8

Paid Advertisement

Tags
09, 335d, adblue, anderson, audi, automotive, blue, bmw, def, pam, peak, problems, q7, tdi, world