Nuw to Turbo, Diesel and Audi--Got driving suggestions, etc.?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2012, 09:42 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nuw to Turbo, Diesel and Audi--Got driving suggestions, etc.?

My wife and I just got a new 2012 A-3 TDI automatic.
It's our first Turbo, Diesel, and Audi.
We got it through European Delivery at Ingolstadt, and really liked the factory tour there. Check it out if you get the chance.
Because we've never driven Turbos or Diesels before, we asked the folks there if you need to do anything different from other cars--because back in the old days I remembered folks saying that Turbos had to be cooled off by running them for a while after driving off the highway. They said NO, with the new TDIs you just drive like a regular car. So we did.

Now that I have the attention of some real TDI fans here, I thought I should ask again:

Is there anything special that we should do driving this car because it is a Turbo or because it is a Diesel?

Thanks!
Old 07-06-2012, 12:09 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by kgall
Is there anything special that we should do driving this car because it is a Turbo or because it is a Diesel?
The main thing is, don't baby it. TDI engines are strong but they need regular exercise.

While the engine is new, try not to exceed about 3800-4000 rpm. But after 1000 miles or so, you can safely rev to the maximum, which I think is still around 5100 rpm. There's really no need to rev as high as that, however; I'm only pointing out that it's safe.

Most any kind of driving is okay, but long highway drives at a constant speed are to be avoided. If you must use cruise control, every once in a while flick it off and let the vehicle slow to 50 mph or so (assuming no traffic behind you, and no cops in front). Then put the pedal down and accelerate briskly to 70 or 80 mph. After this you can let it slow back to your normal speed and set the cruise control again. Accelerating quickly on freeway on-ramps is another good place to exercise the engine and turbo.
Old 07-06-2012, 09:49 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by TornadoRed
The main thing is, don't baby it. TDI engines are strong but they need regular exercise.

While the engine is new, try not to exceed about 3800-4000 rpm. But after 1000 miles or so, you can safely rev to the maximum, which I think is still around 5100 rpm. There's really no need to rev as high as that, however; I'm only pointing out that it's safe.

Most any kind of driving is okay, but long highway drives at a constant speed are to be avoided. If you must use cruise control, every once in a while flick it off and let the vehicle slow to 50 mph or so (assuming no traffic behind you, and no cops in front). Then put the pedal down and accelerate briskly to 70 or 80 mph. After this you can let it slow back to your normal speed and set the cruise control again. Accelerating quickly on freeway on-ramps is another good place to exercise the engine and turbo.
Thanks!

We did about 4K miles on European roads, and pretty much did what you suggested.

Why do you suggest not doing long cruise control drives? I think of them as saving fuel--I have to say that having no "prevailing speed" you could cruise at was something I disliked about lots of German autobahns.
Are you saying that turbos or diesels like speed changes?

Thanks again!
Old 07-09-2012, 04:38 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Why do you suggest not doing long cruise control drives? I think of them as saving fuel--I have to say that having no "prevailing speed" you could cruise at was something I disliked about lots of German autobahns.
Are you saying that turbos or diesels like speed changes?
I think all new manufacturers recommend frequent or at least occasional changes to engine speeds during the early break-in period. Note: it is a change in the engine speed that is desired, not necessarily vehicle speed.

But with a turbo diesel, hard exercise helps to seat the rings, leading to better compression, better performance, improved fuel economy, and reduced oil consumption. Additionally, if your engine has a diesel particulate filter and if you occasionally run biodiesel, a better seal between the piston rings and cylinder walls will reduce the potential for contamination of the engine oil with harmful biodiesel.

Diesel engines take longer than gasoline engines to "break in". Many TDI owners have reported that they see continuing improvement in fuel economy all through the first 10,000 miles; some say it takes even longer. If you always baby the engine, maybe your engine will never reach the point of optimal performance and fuel economy.
Old 07-09-2012, 11:25 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by TornadoRed
Additionally, if your engine has a diesel particulate filter and if you occasionally run biodiesel, a better seal between the piston rings and cylinder walls will reduce the potential for contamination of the engine oil with harmful biodiesel.
Thanks again.
And I was wondering about the biodiesel point as well.
The Audi Driver's Manual suggests not using fuel with 7% or more [or some number like that--I don't have it here] biodiesel. But my wife and I noticed when we were in Europe that a whole lot of the petrol stations had diesel that was up to 11% biodiesel, and we sometimes had to go to a few stations before we got non-biodiesel fuel.
Should we expect finding no-biodiesel added fuel to be a problem in the US? How much does it matter?

My wife just got a call from the dealership, and we should be able to pick up our car tomorrow.
Old 07-09-2012, 06:35 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Should we expect finding no-biodiesel added fuel to be a problem in the US? How much does it matter?
I would say, if the fuel in your state is 5% biodiesel or less, it shouldn't be a problem, If its got more, then you might consider shortening the oil change interval slightly.

The normal oil change interval is 10,000 miles. If the only diesel you can get is 10% or 11% biodiesel, then maybe cut that interval to 9,000 or even 8,000, just to be on the safe side. Maybe consider used oil testing somewhere around the 30,000 mile point -- earlier than that is a waste, IMO.