Overheated brake smell

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2015, 04:59 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Overheated brake smell

I have a 2014 A6 TDI. About 1/month after turning off the car (since new) I smell a distinct odor of brake overheating (either parking or service brake). When this occurs the cooling fan continues to operate for about 5 minutes even in winter after a very short drive. Dealer says no faults observed but something going on - anybody have any thoughts?
Old 05-19-2015, 08:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Might be the DPF regeneration cycle

Originally Posted by lonzo3
I have a 2014 A6 TDI. About 1/month after turning off the car (since new) I smell a distinct odor of brake overheating (either parking or service brake). When this occurs the cooling fan continues to operate for about 5 minutes even in winter after a very short drive. Dealer says no faults observed but something going on - anybody have any thoughts?
There's a diesel particulate filter (DPF) included in the emissions system for your car. The sound (cooling fan) and smell might be the DPF going through one of its periodic regeneration cycles. I rarely drive only short distances with mine, so the cycle for my car normally occurs while I'm driving.
Old 05-20-2015, 07:23 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Clearly the individual you spoke with at the dealership is unfamiliar with modern TDI engines. This is almost certainly the normal regeneration of the diesel particulate filter -- the periodic process by which the soot collected in the filter is burned off. The regeneration can take place while driving or even after the engine is shut off.

The only thing you ought to consider is that the regeneration creates a lot of heat -- over 600°C. Theoretically, if you parked on thick dry grass or dead leaves, this heat could ignite the dry vegetation. I don't know if this has ever happened, but I think it could. You don't have any control over when the regeneration takes place.
Old 05-20-2015, 01:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Try posting on the C7 A6 forum

Just a thought, but I don't know how many A6 TDI owners check this forum. They should be more responsive on the C7 A6 forum.
Old 05-20-2015, 05:56 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

There are discussions of some Audi TDI engines at the TDI Club.
TDIClub Forums - Powered by vBulletin