TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

2003 tt cluster problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2016, 07:02 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 tt cluster problem

I sent out my cluster to Tanin(bad place to deal with) to fix the led readout, fixed it but when I got it back my needles for rpm and speed are off. Any thoughts about how to fix?
Old 06-19-2016, 02:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 117 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by car56
I sent out my cluster to Tanin(bad place to deal with) to fix the led readout, fixed it but when I got it back my needles for rpm and speed are off. Any thoughts about how to fix?
Any chance you turned the key while the cluster was removed? If so, cComponent Protection may have been activated. This usually requires a trip to a dealer for reprogramming. Figure 1 hour labor charge.

Why do you say they are a bad place to deal with? PM if necessary. Thanks.

Last edited by Mister Bally; 06-19-2016 at 02:26 PM.
Old 06-19-2016, 11:45 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Mister Bally
Any chance you turned the key while the cluster was removed? If so, cComponent Protection may have been activated. This usually requires a trip to a dealer for reprogramming. Figure 1 hour labor charge.

Why do you say they are a bad place to deal with? PM if necessary. Thanks.
No way did I put the key in, I disconnected the battery before I removed the cluster. They told me that it was probably because it got jostled in shipping!! That is extremely unlikely, and what is much more probable is that someone touched the needles when the cover was off. They said they would look at it if I shipped it but I didn't have the time as I was travelling in a few days for an extended period. I said I could bring it to a dealer up the road and get if fixed in a day but they refused. When you make a mistake working on a paying customer's car, you should make it right.
Old 06-20-2016, 04:51 AM
Former Vendor

Hi, Tanin Auto Electronix here. We are sorry about the issues you are having with the cluster but we want to point out that when we package these clusters, we package them extremely well to prevent shipping damage, however that doesn't stop a Fedex worker from kicking or dropping the box and causing damage.

As we mentioned in our conversation with you about the issues when you first contacted us, we would be happy to recalibrate the cluster at no charge. Just send it back to us for the repair and we will expedite the service.

Let us know what you would like to do and we will help right away. We know that this is a frustrating situation but occasionally our shipping companies can damage items, and it is something that we want to avoid, hence our packaging of clusters.

Feel free to PM us too and we can discuss more.We want to help any way that we can and make sure that not only are you 100% satisfied but that the cluster is perfect as well!

Thanks and talk to you soon,
Old 06-20-2016, 10:00 AM
Former Vendor

Curtis,

We certainly are not a bad company otherwise we would not have mutually resolved this situation on April 5th, 2016. We also pay a lot of money to support various forums as a vendor and assist every member, whether they do business with us or not.

With that said, we sent you a check for $50 at that time to pay your local mechanic to move the RPM and MPH needle back to zero because you refused to send it back. We never heard from you again so it is quite shocking that these needles still are not moved back to the zero point.

So we are in the same position as we were over two months ago. You can either send it back with our provided label otherwise there is not much else we can do. We do not suggest taking the cluster apart because you can easily do more damage trying to access the needles.

No way did I put the key in, I disconnected the battery before I removed the cluster. They told me that it was probably because it got jostled in shipping!! That is extremely unlikely, and what is much more probable is that someone touched the needles when the cover was off. They said they would look at it if I shipped it but I didn't have the time as I was travelling in a few days for an extended period. I said I could bring it to a dealer up the road and get if fixed in a day but they refused. When you make a mistake working on a paying customer's car, you should make it right.
Old 06-20-2016, 06:33 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 117 Likes on 95 Posts

Tanin Auto, Thanks for posting. My son, Ballykid, will be sending his TT dash to you one day. We were in the area and stopped by your place on a Saturday last month. Looks like a nice operation you have there. I've also talked to you in the past and feel you are honest.
Old 06-21-2016, 04:11 AM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Mister Bally
Tanin Auto, Thanks for posting. My son, Ballykid, will be sending his TT dash to you one day. We were in the area and stopped by your place on a Saturday last month. Looks like a nice operation you have there. I've also talked to you in the past and feel you are honest.
That sounds great! We look forward to helping him out soon. If you are in the area during the week, stop by and say hi. We are happy to answer any questions that you have as well.

Thanks again and have a great day!
Old 06-27-2016, 04:36 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I explained this to you folks, but I will repeat it. I was leaving the country and wanted to bring it to a mechanic up the road(he said he would fix it that day) so my friend could drive it periodically and wouldn't get a ticket for speeding. You really expect anyone to believe that by shaking the cluster, you can throw off the needles??? What's next, driving over a bumpy road? I find it far more credible that in taking off the front plate to fix the led readout, the needles were moved. In any event, I sent it back to you Wednesday because I'm back from overseas and need the car. I understand things happen, but you should have reimbursed me to get it fixed locally, as this was my only real option at the time. I don't know about you, but my clients' needs come first for me and if I make a mistake in my work, I own it and do WHATEVER is necessary to make it right with my clients, even at my inconvenience and cost, that is how one should operate in accords with ethical behavior. So, I would appreciate the resolution of my issue ASAP so I can use my car, and going forward, I will definitely ask if you have checked EVERYTHING about the cluster. To members of this forum, has anyone ever gotten back a cluster where they were told that the needles were off because they were jostled in transit?
Old 06-27-2016, 05:38 AM
Former Vendor

We said we would take care of the problem no charge and we also sent you $50 to cover the problem locally. There isn't anything else we can do short of teleporting to you and fixing the problem.

Yes, the entire cluster is obviously disassembled to replace the LCD screen. When we put it back together we use factory tools to ensure proper needle calibration.

We will gladly post a video proving that by shaking a cluster or dropping and throwing the box (which is what FedEx or UPS does as soon as they take possession of it) immediately moves the MPH and RPM needles on 2001+ TT clusters. We have since changed our shipping practices with Audi TT clusters and it has not happened since.

Model year 2000 clusters were made differently so this problem did not happen.

We have repaired 100's of these clusters. We ship 100's of clusters on a monthly basis. We do not make these things up.
Old 06-27-2016, 12:18 PM
Former Vendor

Your cluster was received this afternoon and is shipping now. We hope that is a fast enough resolution for you.

The owner made a video to show what can happen during shipping and the downfalls of this cluster design. The video also highlights the tools we use to ensure the clusters are calibrated to factory specs. Everyone will be able to see and believe that these needles are very easily thrown out of alignment.

Going forward, please do not spread rumors and untrue statements about the quality of our work or level of customer service. The customers come first, period.

Quick Reply: 2003 tt cluster problem