TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Battery Drain Help

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2017, 10:44 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery Drain Help

Ok so here goes nothing. I have been chasing down a battery drain on my 2001 Audi TT. So far I have found 3. One from the alternator. One coming from the fuseable link that powers the cooling fans & control module. And one I have traced back to the relays under the dash. i have pulled all fuses in fuse box. Disconnected the comfort control module in the truck. With a multimeter attached between the fuse on top of the battery that powers the interior relays and it reads almost 12v. so then i pulled a fuse which from all i can figure is some sort of thermal fuse its green and silver located under the dash, and the power drops to zero. so my question is what does this fuse send power to. I have looked everywhere on the net trying to find out what it powers and have had no luck. The fuse in question in the picture is very bottom right silver and green one.
Attached Thumbnails Battery Drain Help-fuses_labeled.jpg   Battery Drain Help-relay-one.jpg  
Old 12-08-2017, 10:49 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Also to maybe help with my problems. this is a list of everything that is not working on car
ac
central locking button
dome lights work only sometimes
key fob
heater doesnt get real hot just warm
Old 12-09-2017, 05:07 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 116 Likes on 94 Posts

Leave everything connected after charging the battery/driving the car. Park car in the cold, shut off and lock. After six hours open the hood and put your hand on the alternator. If it isn't stone cold but instead toasty warm; One of the diodes in it is leaky. Replace all of the diodes or the alternator itself.

If the alternator is cold, continue using standard automotive electrical system troubleshooting techniques.
Old 12-11-2017, 03:47 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Mister Bally
Leave everything connected after charging the battery/driving the car. Park car in the cold, shut off and lock. After six hours open the hood and put your hand on the alternator. If it isn't stone cold but instead toasty warm; One of the diodes in it is leaky. Replace all of the diodes or the alternator itself.

If the alternator is cold, continue using standard automotive electrical system troubleshooting techniques.
I am taking the generator off this weekend and taking it to be rebuilt. So ive figured out what the thermal fuse is, It is supposed to be powering the power windows. So anyone have any ideas why my widows might be pulling so much power even with the vehicle off?... ecu maybe. the window has been acting up. Sometimes when I try to roll it up it stops halfway and goes back down. Also the dome lights dont work at all. Not sure if the two things are related???