TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

buying a 2002 tt quattro

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2015, 05:11 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default buying a 2002 tt quattro

hey guys i was hoping for yalls help. i dont know alot about audi other than **** is expensive to get fixed at a dealer. now i really like the TT and always have since it first came out. i am currently looking at a 2002 TT quattro. i was hoping yall could help me out by letting me know things to look for. this specific car does not appear its age or miles (131k), but as i said i dont know what to look for. anything you guys/gals could tell me would be great. i really like this car but i dont know if its worth trading the 1982 chevy blazer i have spent the last year building.
Old 07-24-2015, 09:41 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 116 Likes on 94 Posts

Instrument cluster, especially the center display goes kaputski often. Then the small display for the climate control as well as the radio display.

The timing belt must be replaced at recommended intervals or even a bit sooner. not heeding this could cost you plenty.
Old 07-25-2015, 05:13 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 250 Likes on 212 Posts
Default Read this FAQ

Originally Posted by Mike Evans
hey guys i was hoping for yalls help. i dont know alot about audi other than **** is expensive to get fixed at a dealer. now i really like the TT and always have since it first came out. i am currently looking at a 2002 TT quattro. i was hoping yall could help me out by letting me know things to look for. this specific car does not appear its age or miles (131k), but as i said i dont know what to look for. anything you guys/gals could tell me would be great. i really like this car but i dont know if its worth trading the 1982 chevy blazer i have spent the last year building.
Fourtitude.com - Audi TT FAQ

The recommended timing belt, and associated items, replacement interval on the TT is wrong and Audi lost a class action suit over it. Replace them at 5 years or 60K or risk a $5K+ engine overhaul.
Old 07-25-2015, 07:24 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

ok thanks yall. much appreciated. it sounds good and has decent pick up. once the turbo kicks in. there is hellacious turbo lag. is there something i can to do help that? how much is a new center digital information thing in the center of the gauges anyone know? cuz it is going out.
Old 07-25-2015, 08:09 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Mike Evans
ok thanks yall. much appreciated. it sounds good and has decent pick up. once the turbo kicks in. there is hellacious turbo lag. is there something i can to do help that? how much is a new center digital information thing in the center of the gauges anyone know? cuz it is going out.
Module Master of Moscow (Idaho) rebuilds the cluster assembly with a new display and replaces the stepper motors that are prone to go bad for a very fair price with a good warranty. There is a source near Chicago that charges a little less but IIRC, their warranty is not that good. You can live without the display though. As far as the turbo lag, there are 180 HP and 225 HP engines. The 225 did not have much of a lag but you can get the ECU reprogrammed (Unitronic Performance Software and Hardware for Volkswagen*, Audi*, and Porsche* Vehicles.) like my son did with his 225 HP engine and really improved acceleration in all areas not to mention eliminate the silly 130 MPH speed limiter.

Well worth the price.

Note instrument cluster display is bad in the photo:
Attached Images  
Old 07-25-2015, 08:19 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

that is exactly what the im looking at is like. i sure hope someone other than the driver too that. 140 mph and taking a photo lol. how do i know if it is a 180 or 225 HP engine?
Old 07-25-2015, 08:33 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

anyone know a fix for the fuel gauge? he says that empty is 1/2 tank on the gauge. and it just sits at full until the tanks actually drops below 1/2 tank then it starts to drop
Old 07-25-2015, 11:04 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Yes, the fix is to have the instrument cluster rebuilt by one of the rebuild shops. Your fuel gauge stepper motor is defective. A rebuild shop will also replace the display glass as well. They do it for a fair price and guarantee their work.

Otherwise, you have to buy a new cluster from a dealer and they have to program it to communicate with the car's engine controller.

As for 180 vs 225 hp; One exhaust pipe: 180 hp. Two pipes: 225 HP. You can also find the engine code on the block & head. The Bentley service manual is your friend.

Yes, I took the pic while my son was driving. Same for the one of my A8 as my avatar. Also look in my albums under my profile for fun at Bonneville.