TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Changing Stereo, would you go OEM or Aftermarket??

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2014, 10:07 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Changing Stereo, would you go OEM or Aftermarket??

Hey,

I picked up a 2003 audi TT. The radio is operational, but it has seen better days. I'm debating between 2 options...

1) Purchase an OEM radio off of ebay.

2) Purchase an aftermarket stereo from Crutchfield. I've installed a couple of stereos before and aware that it comes with an installation kit for a better fit.

For folks who've installed an aftermarket stereo, are you happy with the fit/finish? Does it look close to OEM (e.g., no gaps)? This is important to me.

Crutchfield states "modified fit", does anyone know what needs to be modified?

Any particular brand fit better than others? I'm not looking for anything too fancy with a price point around $100.

If you have any words of wisdom, I'm all ears...

THANKS!!
Old 11-28-2014, 06:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default At your price point, I'd stay with the OEM

Originally Posted by Phatjoe
Hey,

I picked up a 2003 audi TT. The radio is operational, but it has seen better days. I'm debating between 2 options...

1) Purchase an OEM radio off of ebay.

2) Purchase an aftermarket stereo from Crutchfield. I've installed a couple of stereos before and aware that it comes with an installation kit for a better fit.

For folks who've installed an aftermarket stereo, are you happy with the fit/finish? Does it look close to OEM (e.g., no gaps)? This is important to me.

Crutchfield states "modified fit", does anyone know what needs to be modified?

Any particular brand fit better than others? I'm not looking for anything too fancy with a price point around $100.

If you have any words of wisdom, I'm all ears...

THANKS!!
It's not a great unit but there have been very few posts over the years on the various TT boards about going aftermarket. OEM is just much less grief and it is serviceable. Just swapping the head to aftermarket is not going to buy you much improvement in performance.