TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Fuel System Failure and blown fuse #37

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2016, 02:56 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel System Failure and blown fuse #37

Hello, I'm new to this forum thing and hoping someone can help me. My 02 TT Quattro won't move fuel. I replaced relay and fuse #28 (fuel pump) is fine. So I set out to replace the fuel pump. Once I got to the pump I test lighted it to make sure I had voltage to the pump, none detected. After a bit more research I discovered the fuse #37 (engine timing: petrol) was blown. Each time I replace it, it blows when ignition key is turned on (unless I remove relay before turning on ignition).

Some more back ground. I have owned the car for 9 months. I put all new coil packs and plugs in 6 months ago. Runs so much better. Recently a new battery. Has been a great daily driver until it stalled at a stop light last week and has not recovered.

Im completely stuck at this point. Any help you can be is greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Bosie
Old 05-09-2016, 06:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 116 Likes on 94 Posts

Standard automotive electrical troubleshooting techniques apply. So, disconnect fuel pump from vehicle wiring harness. Does fuse still blow?

No; Replace fuel pump or something past what you disconnected.
Yes; Reconnect pump and disconnect the wiring harness at the next connection point.

Continue until the fuse no longer blows.

You will need a vehicle wiring diagram (read: proper service manual) and a good multimeter ( The free/$7.00 Harbor Freight ones are junk) along with some basic knowledge.
Old 05-09-2016, 07:45 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Thank you Mister Bally for the good advice. That was the first thing I did was to disconnect fuel pump when I saw fuse was blown. It blew again with it disconnected. I did start to trace but didn't finish as you suggested because I had this nagging realization that its not the fuel pump fuse that is blowing out.

I think your advice to get a good manual is good, then I maybe able to determine what fuse #37 actually protects. Not sure which manual is a good one for Audi though

Also thanks for the advice on Harbor Freight. I have a Gardner Bender meter. Not much better but gets me there.
Old 05-10-2016, 01:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 116 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Bosie
Thank you Mister Bally for the good advice. That was the first thing I did was to disconnect fuel pump when I saw fuse was blown. It blew again with it disconnected. I did start to trace but didn't finish as you suggested because I had this nagging realization that its not the fuel pump fuse that is blowing out.

I think your advice to get a good manual is good, then I maybe able to determine what fuse #37 actually protects. Not sure which manual is a good one for Audi though

Also thanks for the advice on Harbor Freight. I have a Gardner Bender meter. Not much better but gets me there.
Get the manual from Robert Bentley/ Bentley Publishers.
Old 05-10-2016, 07:09 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Mister Bally
Get the manual from Robert Bentley/ Bentley Publishers.
Thanks again. I just ordered it. With slow boat shipping :O( I'll keep you all posted.
Old 06-17-2016, 07:02 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Well it's been awhile since I worked on this Audi and made a post. I determined that fuse #37 is directly connected to the ECU power supply relay. I now have a new relay and fuse #37 is not blowing. The car still does not start. I have determined the following: the timing belt is good, the car does not have spark and it is not getting fuel. It only turns over. The code I am getting at the moment is P0685. This code reports "ECU Power Supply Relay open" not sure why I am still getting this failure when I have a new relay.

Any ideas.

Thanks
Old 03-05-2021, 04:27 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Bosie
Well it's been awhile since I worked on this Audi and made a post. I determined that fuse #37 is directly connected to the ECU power supply relay. I now have a new relay and fuse #37 is not blowing. The car still does not start. I have determined the following: the timing belt is good, the car does not have spark and it is not getting fuel. It only turns over. The code I am getting at the moment is P0685. This code reports "ECU Power Supply Relay open" not sure why I am still getting this failure when I have a new relay.

Any ideas.

Thanks
Hey, sorry for reviving an old thread but I'm having a similar issue, did you ever find out what was the problem?
Old 03-06-2021, 04:52 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by davecc
Hey, sorry for reviving an old thread but I'm having a similar issue, did you ever find out what was the problem?
We'll I did get the car running. I think I had multiple problems. 1. I had an electrical short that was intermittently blowing fuze 37. #2. I also think my fuel pump was a problem because shorly after I fixed the short (fuze 37), the fuel pump totally stopped working and I had to replace it.the short was in one of the four sets of wires going to the coil packs on the spark plugs. Once that was fixed. It started. Good luck.
Old 03-06-2021, 07:35 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Thank you, will take a look at those!
Old 04-01-2021, 12:25 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Dave - did you get the car started? Did you replace the fuel filter by chance? Mine won't start, just cranks.

Quick Reply: Fuel System Failure and blown fuse #37