TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Help me decide on a used 225TT

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2009, 08:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by BosTTon
The DSG tranny is more than just interesting.....it kicks **** (esp. w/a 3.2L). Owned a 2004 3.2L w/DSG for 4 years...never a problem (but of course it's no stastical analysis or reliability). Have the DSG in my current 09 TTR 3.2L...again amazing. Test drive and see. The only thing that matches are the new auto trannies in the Porsches. IMHO, Audi has one of the best auto/manual trannies available.

BosTTon
Not disagreeing with any of that. They are fun to drive . However overly complicated european vehicles do not do well at resale time.It sounds like you keep your cars under warranty so service is not a problem.When the warranty runs out move on to next new car.

Money no object, go with the DSG, looking to keep the car a few years and maybe do your own maintenance, well that's a more difficult choice.
Old 11-07-2009, 11:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You should check maintenance records if there are any for oil and filter changes on the Haldex unit.
The Haldex unit is a very expensive component to replace or repair. For the 2004 R32 with a similar Haldex coupling VW initially recomended Haldex oil and filter replacement every 20,000 miles.
Old 11-07-2009, 01:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes you are right.....keep 'em until the warranty expires and then move on. Did not realize/relate to you comment so thx for the clarification!

BosTTon
Old 11-07-2009, 01:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

I drove the 1.8 225 today. Nice car, though maybe a little small. Handles great. Less impressed with the engine. My V6 twin turbo cruises 70MPH at 2200RPM, while the little 1.8 was at the 3000RPM noted above. Definitely more engine noise at the higher speeds.

At the first intersection I experienced the turbo lag from standstill firsthand, and was like, WAH!! as I turned left before oncoming traffic, waiting for the TT to move from "crawl" to "punch it".

Afterwards, the wife wanted to visit the local VW/Audi dealership, and just so happened they were unwrapping a 2010 S5! Sorry, TT, that S5 just looks like one bad *** car! Dealer will call me back after it is prepped.
Old 11-07-2009, 02:55 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by geordon
Sorry, TT, that S5 just looks like one bad *** car! Dealer will call me back after it is prepped.
So your budget went from a used 2001 $9000 car to a 2010 $40,000 car.

And you prefer the ....

.........drum roll.

........ I'm truly shocked!
Old 11-07-2009, 06:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by AudiMick
So your budget went from a used 2001 $9000 car to a 2010 $40,000 car.

And you prefer the ....

.........drum roll.

........ I'm truly shocked!
Actually, it is $60K. What I can technically purchase vs what I is realistic are two different things.

I want the S5, but it is really hard to justify spending that kind of cheese for a 5 mile daily commute. I think I am back to focusing on a TT, preferably with something bigger than a 1.8.

I do have a question, though, after my test drive. I am 6'. By the time I slid the seat back far enough to work the pedals, it seemed like quite a reach to the shifter. I am used to the Stealth, where I can rest my right arm on the center console and shift without reaching forward as if I was changing the radio. Is this normal in the TT? Would the Mk2 be any different? Or can I do a better job positioning everything for a more comfortable/natural driving position? Thanks.
Old 11-08-2009, 07:13 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default The Mk 1 TT was a "concept car" that entered production with very few changes.

As such it's a real compromise on the inside.

You can't change the fact that basically it'a FWD Golf with an electronic part time AWD system.

Chipping the 4 cylinder cars really helps with the power and torque off the line issue. Check APR's site.

The Mk 2 interior is nicer and better laid out .You can get the V6 with a six speed manual. The exterior isn't as ground breaking s the Mk 1.
Old 11-09-2009, 07:50 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anything rubber will turn to mush.

Just replaced, in the last couple years, 4 drop links, motor mount, front strut bushing, trans mount, dogbone mount - all totally destroyed. Rear shock bushings are shot (need new shocks to fix).

The lower control arm bushings are very questionable (on my to-do list)

On our 3rd clutch (original and 2 replacements) in 90k mi. First one was due to a bad slave cyl. This one (picked it up friday from the mechanic) was due to a bad transmission seal that contaminated the clutch.

watch out for bad fuel sending units and clusters. Plastic clips in the doors will break and things will rattle in there (if not now, in short time though)

I am quite disappointed with the build quality of the car. I am used to driving my MGB, which, compared to my TT, is quite reliable!

It is a pretty car, fast (if chipped), and fun. But it does not seem to age well.
Old 11-09-2009, 12:14 PM
TTP
AudiWorld Senior Member

2nd on chipping the car.. Get a Revo program on it and you'll appreciate it more. It'll also help to replace the DV too.
Old 11-09-2009, 02:25 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Still should go through the car before chipping and other mods

Originally Posted by TTP
2nd on chipping the car.. Get a Revo program on it and you'll appreciate it more. It'll also help to replace the DV too.
replace the motor mounts, drop links, and other parts. Check the downpipe for being broken. Very common.

Why spend hundreds of dollars if only to find it needs other expensive repairs, especially if you blew your budget on go fast stuff if the car can't handle it

Quick Reply: Help me decide on a used 225TT