TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Intermittent squeaking noise while driving?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2008, 10:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intermittent squeaking noise while driving?

Hey all,

I've been hearing this intermittent squeaking noise coming from the front right corner of my car. It doesn't seem to squeak faster or slower depending on speed, rpm, braking, anything. It does, however, stop squeaking immediately after I turn off the car. Any ideas? This has been going on for months without any noticeable change in pitch or intensity.
Old 03-08-2008, 08:22 AM
Rest In Peace

Default squeak or creak>>>>

could be front sway bar, or your serpentine belt.....need to be a bit more descriptive on tone..

Does it happen when the suspension articulates??? You notice it at highway speeds?? Describe scenarios where you hear it..
Old 03-08-2008, 10:48 AM

Default Re: squeak or creak>>>>

Sure thing--

It sounds like a squeak to me, rather than a creak. I don't believe it's suspension related, as it occurs even when I'm stopped. It squeaks at a pretty consistent rate, i.e., squeak, half a second, squeak, half a second, etc. Whether on the highway, arterial, or stopped, it still squeaks.

Usually it squeaks at a more frequent rate right before it stops squeaking.

And some extra info--the car is a 2000 and has about 21k miles on it.

Thanks for the help!
Old 06-02-2008, 11:58 AM

Default Re: squeak or creak>>>>

i've got that squeak too! mines a 2000, just turned 100k miles. the squeak comes and goes, and is never there when i get a service guy in the car with me.

toaster described it perfectly - sounds like its coming from something spinning, but it doesn't change with speed. kinda embarrassing when sitting at a light and it sounds like i have a couple mice chasing each other around under the hood. then it just goes away.
Old 11-11-2015, 08:34 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Squeaking noise while driving

Hey all,

I have a 2008 Audi A4 quattro 2.0t...Recently I've noticed that it makes a squeaking noise while I'm driving. The noise is only heard while I'm driving. It goes away when the car is in park or just idling. I also notice that once I start to break the noise starts to go away. The dealer put new pads and rotors on the car when I bought it. The breaks do squeal when I break, which the dealer said is due to the compound of the breaks. The dealer & his mechanic also claim that the noise I hear while I'm driving is also due to the compound of the breaks. That just seems odd. Is that possible? I feel like it's a belt that's wearing possibly? Other than that the car drives and acts as it should. Any ideas guys...my warranty runs out soon I'd like to have it figured out before that.
Old 11-13-2015, 05:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts

Wrong forum. You need to be on the B7 A4 forum.

Having said that, yes brakes can squeal, generally fixable by putting anti-squeal grease when the pads are installed. Also, brake squeal and belt squeal sound very different and are in very different locations.