TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

New rear shelf squeak solution

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2002, 11:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New rear shelf squeak solution

I am posting this since I have not seen this solution posted here or elsewhere. Anyone know how I can submit this for the TT FAQ or tech resource?

My rear shelf was driving me nuts, not because it rattled, but because it squeaked every time I hit a bump. Following the suggestions in the FAQ and in older posts, I cracked open the shelf. Here is what I did once it was open that resolved the squeaking:

1. There are two pieces, a solid thick frame that contains the connections to the car, and a flimsy shell, to which the fabric is attached.

2. Following previous recommendations, I removed the two metal rods on opposing sides of the solid portion of the shelf, since these would squeak when I twisted the shelf. I applied clear caulk inside the slots, then re-inserted the rods. For good measure, I also popped out the side mounts, filled their slots with caulk, and put the side mounts back into place.

3. Then I discovered the true cause of the squeak. It appears that the manufacturing process involves stretching the fabric over posts mounted in the shell. There are cavities in the solid frame that correspond to these posts. Hot wax or plastic is poured over the posts. While the plastic is still hot, the shelf is assembled, so that the hot plastic also fills in the cavities and acts as additional "glue" for the frame. Over time, if the seal between the plastic and the cavity breaks, then plastic rubs against the cavity, which is the true source of the squeaking! Now imagine 10-20 of these little squeak sources, and you've got a major source of irritation. BTW, when these plastic portions break completely free from the cavities and posts, they are what cause the previously reported rattle.

4. To resolve the squeak, I removed and discarded all plastic pieces that had broken free from the mounts on the shell. I then placed the fabric over the posts and used modeling glue to secure the fabric in place. Note that I did not do all the posts at once, as the fabric would pop loose under tension and the whole thing would become maddeningly frustrating. Instead I just did a few at a time and let them dry before moving on. When the fabric was completely attached dry, I applied an extra dollop of glue at each point.

5. Before final assembly, I whipped out my caulk gun and placed a dollop of caulk on every cavity and vertical protrusion on the solid frame. Anything that could rub against the top shell when the shelf vibrated received a touch of caulk.

6. As has been mentioned elsewhere, prior to assembling the halves, I applied clear caulk around the entire edge of the solid frame, just beneath the lip snaps together against the upper shell.

7. Before anything had a chance to dry, I snapped the two halves together, and then I let it dry overnight. Viola'! No more squeaking!
Old 12-17-2002, 11:33 AM

Default I completely removed the metal rods, took off that glue, and coated the plastic on plastic areas...

all with white lithium grease as someone else here had suggested.

Granted I got some grease on the outside of the plastic that I couldn't clean off, but no more squeaks or major rattles. Sometimes I hear a "tuhh tuhh tuhh" when I got over large bumps... I think that's due to not having the metal rods in there anymore: the plastic shakes too much.

In any case, it's always quiet except for large bumps where I'd expect any car to make some noises.
Old 12-17-2002, 11:48 AM

Default Heh. Your solution is easier :).

But I'm an engineer, so I like to make things complicated.
Old 12-18-2002, 03:41 AM

Default Noticed from your sig, you have a 'Unique' third gear grind?

What's the deal? I had a unique third gear grind and the unique dealer put a brand new transmission in.
Old 12-18-2002, 03:42 AM

Default Easier solution, take car to dealer show dealer manager squeek then get replacment NEW unit that...

doesn't squeek. Problem solved.
Old 12-18-2002, 05:34 AM

I tried that, I was told "Audi knows about it, but there's no fix, a new one would squeak too"
Old 12-18-2002, 07:02 AM

Default ok, so it's not that unique.

But it makes me a little different from most people here, without spending lots of money on mods!

In my case, the dealer replaced the 1-2 and 2-3 gear synchros. Problem solved.
Old 12-18-2002, 07:04 AM

Default yes, I had heard so many reports of replacement shelves squeaking.

I had an afternoon and figured I'd fix it myself.
Worst case scenario, it wouldn't work, so then I would order one thru the dealer.
Old 12-19-2002, 06:46 AM

Default All Dealer Lies!!!

The new ones are built differently. I know, I have a new one. The old one squeeked like old people in a nursing home.