TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

NOOB - looking for maintenance tips

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2017, 05:23 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 250 Likes on 212 Posts
Default You are really going to need details about the belt replacement

Originally Posted by RussAdams
Thanks Vegas!

I have a pretty thorough CarFax, and at 50K there were belts replaced... but it does not explicitly specify timing belt. The shop is listed in the CarFax so I'll contact them and see if they can tell me. I purchased a service contract, will be interesting to see if they will pay to do it or not.

Russ
Obviously, replacing the serpentine belt only still leaves you vulnerable. Similarly, if they replaced the timing belt but not the tensioner or water pump, you are still at risk. The 2001 model used a water pump with a plastic impellor that was notorious for breaking blades that either jammed and broke the belt or floated into the cooling system and screwed up what little flow was left from an impellor with missing teeth.

Last edited by Vegas-roadster; 02-14-2017 at 05:26 AM.
Old 02-14-2017, 06:44 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the Pelican Parts BMW E36 guide, and it is great. So I popped over to their site to see what they have for the TT. I don't see a printed book like for the bimmer, but they do have some maintenance guides that look pretty good:

Audi TT & Audi TT Quattro (2000-2006) Technical Articles - Pelican Parts

I have no relationship with Pelican other than being a satisfied customer.
Old 02-14-2017, 08:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 116 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Vegas-roadster
I hated my Bentley CD manual and these days many laptops do not have a CD/DVD reader. I'd rather have a poor quality print version than a CD.
I have an old laptop in the garage and a spare for when this one breaks down. $50 apiece.
Old 02-20-2017, 05:51 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Vegas-roadster
Obviously, replacing the serpentine belt only still leaves you vulnerable. Similarly, if they replaced the timing belt but not the tensioner or water pump, you are still at risk. The 2001 model used a water pump with a plastic impellor that was notorious for breaking blades that either jammed and broke the belt or floated into the cooling system and screwed up what little flow was left from an impellor with missing teeth.
Thanks again for this Vegas! The Bentley manual says the timing belt is due to be replaced at 60k miles. No mention of water pump or tensioner. The service contract will cover me til then. I will add a note to self to have the water pump and tensioner replaced with the timing belt before 60K.

Greatly appreciate the advice!

Russ
Old 04-15-2017, 01:58 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

After a couple thousand miles I started seeing problems. Not un-expected in a car that has only been driven 7 or 8 thousand miles in the last 10 years.

1. Washer bottle and front 'alien' pumps went
2. Traction Control ECM module died
3. Started kicking mis-fire codes

I took her to AutoScandia in Herdon, VA for repairs and the extended service plan is oaying for most.

While the car is in the shop I asked them to replace the water pump (metal impeller) timing belt and tensioner. Car's been in the shop for two weeks while awaiting new Traction Control module from Germany. Hope to get her back next Monday, 17th April.