TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Overheating after turned off

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2017, 11:15 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Overheating after turned off

Hello there!

I have a 2002 Audi TT, and in the last month or so I noticed the fans didn't stay on after I turned the car off (they used to run for a minute or two after I step off the car). Also, when I start the car again a few minutes later, the temperature gauge indicates the engine is hot.

Here are some things I also noticed:
- Two front fans work well when AC is on
- I smell anti freeze liquid (but don't see any leakage, or drop of coolant level)
- Engine also overheats when stopped for a few minutes, at red traffic lights and parking lots (when there is no air circulation)
- Months ago I got the code: 00779 Outside Air Temp Sensor (G17) - Static- Open/short circuit to positive, but I don't see the code anymore.
- Temperature gauge on dash and Climatronic (C49?) match. At the moment it runs in the mid 90s

What could be wrong with the car? I am thinking in replacing both the outside air temperature sensor (located by the front bumper) and the coolant temperature sensor (green connector).

Thoughts?

Thanks!
Old 04-06-2017, 05:10 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have this same behavior with my car, I have a real time OBD-II Reader that displays your temps, RPMs, Fuel Level, ETC. It is really cool and it mounts perfectly on the dashboard. It's called an Ultra Gauge and they can be had for around $60 and they scan codes, and a lot of cool stuff, ANYWAY... My fans never run after I shut my car off unless the temp gauge reads over 210. When The Climatronic reads 90 C, that really means 194 F which is perfect. The temp gauges in these cars are really weird and stay in the middle if the temps are between normal and around 208 and up, at least that is my case. Just keep an eye on the climatronic and see if it shows anything different. The green coolant temp sensor is a very easy change, although you might lose some coolant, it is very accessible. I changed mine due to this exact symptom you are having, which was the car indicating it was overheating when I know it wasn't. Sorry for rambling LOL.