TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Power Drain Fuse 29

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2016, 01:16 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power Drain Fuse 29

Audi TT 04 1.8 quattro
I really appreciate some feedback.
I've been having power drain in my TT. Mechanic did a test and narrow it down to fuse 29 which has to do with Motrotic Engine Control Module. The battery is dead in the morning if I don't disconnect it over night.

A quick background: Due to overheat, The car has head gaskets, water pump, thermostat, timing belt, valve job and cooling fan's rally module replaced. After I got the car back, the power drain issue showed up. The mechanic who did all the work is guessing that's Alternator which other mechanic don't think so. I can't afford to have it diagnosed by dealership.

So the secondary (auxiliary) water pumps keep running long after the vehicle has been turned off and it makes a un-usuall noise (perhaps usual but louder) that I never heard from this car. Unplugging it overnight, does not prevent the battery from being dead in the morning.

The vehicle has made unusual load noise on several occasions (5 times when driving and then the car is idle). This noise seems to be coming from the area where the timing belt and other belts are. The noise is similar to plastics rubbing each other. (This has not happened anymore)

On two occasions, the vehicle made a very strong noise when idling. It sounded as air pressure releasing and a lot of white smog came out from the area somewhere below the battery.

The vehicle smokes excessively when driving after it has been idle for a while.

When car is on, I hear a loud air noise that decrease after I drive.

No light is on and computer doesn't show any codes.

Only issue that is bothering me is the power drain. Any feedback would be appreciated.
Old 02-12-2016, 06:08 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 116 Likes on 94 Posts

Fully charge battery after car has cooled down. Disconnect charger & lock car. Wait three hours. Unlock car and pop hood. Place hand on case of alternator. If toasty warm; Replace alternator or at least all of the diodes inside as you have a leaky one that is causing the battery drain.

Had this on my '87 '5000 which drove me crazy as sometimes the car was fine and other times the battery was dead in the morning. Very frustrating. Once I felt the warm alternator case, I found the culprit.