TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Should I purchase used Audi TT with very low miles?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2015, 10:00 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should I purchase used Audi TT with very low miles?

It's a 2001 Audi TT convertible, however the ad says it has 17,279 miles only. I think there will be minimal maintenance costs with that low mileage.
Here is the link to the car, and the second link has the free CARFAX report:

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?zip=68803&endYear=2016&modelC ode1=TT&showcaseOwnerId=57536676&startYear=1981&ma keCode1=AUDI&searchRadius=100&mmt=%5BAUDI%5BTT%5B% 5D%5D%5B%5D%5D&listingId=389817010&Log=0

http://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/625285264/overview/

I plan to garage it, and only drive it on the weekends and when it's not snowing for the next few months. Then when winter is over I would like to sell my other car and make it my daily driver.
Old 01-05-2015, 07:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 250 Likes on 212 Posts
Default Depends

Originally Posted by ddblur11
It's a 2001 Audi TT convertible, however the ad says it has 17,279 miles only. I think there will be minimal maintenance costs with that low mileage.
Here is the link to the car, and the second link has the free CARFAX report:

Cars for Sale: 2001 Audi TT 1.8T quattro Roadster w/ 225hp in LINCOLN, NE 68521: Convertible Details - 389817010 - AutoTrader.com

2001 Audi TT Roadster quattro, $11,500 - Cars.com

I plan to garage it, and only drive it on the weekends and when it's not snowing for the next few months. Then when winter is over I would like to sell my other car and make it my daily driver.
The car you are considering was my first TT (different colors). I used it as a daily driver. If you have never owned a roadster, consider the limitation of only 2 seats. More than any other car, roadsters are sold soon after they are purchased or have low mileage because you can only take one person with you. Most folks find out too late that limitation does not work with their family/friends lifestyle.

Next, read the first few pages of this FAQ Fourtitude.com - Audi TT FAQ

Here are the main issues you must consider mechanicaly. Most important is that the timing belt, tensioner, water, pump, and associated parts MUST be replaced very 5 years or 60K miles. If this has not been done to this car in the past 5 years, then tow the car (I'm not kidding) to your mechanic to get it done before you drive it. There is no way to inspect for potential failure and when it goes it will cost you $5K+ to repair the dstroyed engine. Cost for doing this at an indy shop is about $750 (have them use the DeiselGeek kit) or double that at a dealer. If you don't believe me, do a search on this and other Mk 1 TT boards to read some real tales of sorrow of folks who had a failure on the way to the mechanic.

Another item that must be done by date instead of mileage is coolant. Assuming this has not been replaced either, I would replace the colant, top and botom hoses, and thermostat.

I would also replace the AWD haledex transaxel fluid.

Given its age and lack of use, vacuum leaks asociated with engine operation are common. Make sure there are no check engine code or have the dealer fix them before you buy.

Oil and filter should have been changed every year irrespective of mileage. CarFax does not mention this.

Next, inspect the dash display and make sure all guages operate correctly (temp should be exactly in the middle when warm). Make sure most of the pixels in the center display are functioning. If there are problems, the entire dash must be removed and refurbished because it is a single circuit board, about $600 at an indy shop.

There were multiple recalls for this car and the CarFax mentions none of them being performed.

Finally, make sure the glove box latch works and locks perfectly. It was very fragile on this year TT and costs over $1000 to fix (really).

It is a great car but you must be aware of issues that may exist due to its age and lack of proper service. The drive train is extremely reliable with many folks having 150K on the ticker on the original components, including clutch.